Trailer Hauling??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Hauling??

Question for you trailer guys, Ive never really hauled anything bigger than a 12' Gooseneck with 2 four wheelers.

What is the towing capacity of a Duramax 2500?

Like how big of an enclosed trailer could you haul with 1 or 2 rigs?

28' ok? 38'?
    You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

well i personally would not haul anything that big with a non dually truck. But i have had a 48 foot enclosed trailer on my f350. 28 foot would be fine, 38 foot would be a stretch.
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by Saharicon View Post
      Question for you trailer guys, Ive never really hauled anything bigger than a 12' Gooseneck with 2 four wheelers.

What is the towing capacity of a Duramax 2500?

Like how big of an enclosed trailer could you haul with 1 or 2 rigs?

28' ok? 38'?
      manufactures specs and hitch weight?

ball hitch or goose neck, 2 rigs on a ball hitch might be pushing it
      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
        well i personally would not haul anything that big with a non dually truck.
        x2
        "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

so whats the overall advantage of a dually?

and whats the advantage of gooseneck to ball hitch? where it centers the weight?

Comment

dually has a higher load rating and more stability. 5th wheel puts the weight directly over the axle instead of hung out back where it causes the nose of the truck to unload. Its really all about stability
            1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
            2001 wj tbd
            1974 5 ton

Comment

do you have to have a 12' bed to haul a gooseneck or does it all depend on the trailer?

When I hauled the gooseneck it was a short bed but that style trailer didnt have the over hang, most enclosed trailers have the over hang

Comment

i run a regular 8 foot bed and some run 6 foot bed
                2001 wj tbd
                1974 5 ton

Comment

hokay, thanks d00d.

I guess it just all comes down to weight with the 2500 though?

Comment

also 5th wheel gives you sharper and better turning
                    2001 wj tbd
                    1974 5 ton

Comment

what trucks come with a 12 foot bed? The thing about a dually is you need to remember you have big giant fender flares, perfect for taking off open car doors, mirrors, and small children on bikes when driving down narrow roads.
                      1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                      1999 sierra
                      1967 M725 Big and Slow
                      -Dan

Comment

i towed a 24ft deckover with my rig and at times 2 rigs on a bumper pull. If you have to use a 2500, get air bags and a weight distrbution setup.
                        Originally posted by gmc4cw
                        if someone can look at your rig and still tell what it was, then you have a long way to go before its destroyed. if you continue to wheel it after said destruction then you are truely special. :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          i towed a 24ft deckover with my rig and at times 2 rigs on a bumper pull. If you have to use a 2500, get air bags and a weight distrbution setup.
                          I dont have to, I just really like them. Im not a fan of the 3500. I really like the 2500, and I dont really need a massive trailer. Most I have to have is 1 rig, and lots of HMC gear and has to be enclosed.

Comment

Originally posted by Saharicon View Post
                            I dont have to, I just really like them. Im not a fan of the 3500. I really like the 2500, and I dont really need a massive trailer. Most I have to have is 1 rig, and lots of HMC gear and has to be enclosed.
                            enclosed trailers are not all that heavy so i wouldnt worry about it. My deckover empty is 4300lbs+, my trail rig was aroung 5500lbs (Estimated), and AJ's rock buggy was like 3300lbs i think. I towed this more then one occasion and it was fine. But with a 2500 you will still have the same hitch setup as a 3500 so your only concern imho is ass sag when you have some tongue weight.

Invest in air bags, which will level out the truck, make the ride better under load, and get a weight distribution hitch.

How big of an enclosed are we looking? i cant imagine a double axle enclosed will be to heavy since most arent rated for more then 10k unless you get into the big baller trailers, then at that point you need 7k axles and a 5th wheel.

and for anyone looking at duallys, if you really dont need one, dont get one. The ride is insanly hard.

Last edited by Shane; 10-07-2009, 08:09 AM.
                            Originally posted by gmc4cw
                            if someone can look at your rig and still tell what it was, then you have a long way to go before its destroyed. if you continue to wheel it after said destruction then you are truely special. :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              enclosed trailers are not all that heavy so i wouldnt worry about it. My deckover empty is 4300lbs+, my trail rig was aroung 5500lbs (Estimated), and AJ's rock buggy was like 3300lbs i think. I towed this more then one occasion and it was fine. But with a 2500 you will still have the same hitch setup as a 3500 so your only concern imho is ass sag when you have some tongue weight.

Invest in air bags, which will level out the truck, make the ride better under load, and get a weight distribution hitch.

How big of an enclosed are we looking? i cant imagine a double axle enclosed will be to heavy since most arent rated for more then 10k unless you get into the big baller trailers, then at that point you need 7k axles and a 5th wheel.

and for anyone looking at duallys, if you really dont need one, dont get one. The ride is insanly hard.

That what im trying to decide is how big of a trailer I need. Its going to be a TJ in it and I would like the front area to be converted to lounging, living area for events so people can come in and sit down and look over our product/videos. So im trying to decide how much space for all that I really need. Things can obviously be moved around for hauling and the reset during events how they need to be arranged.

Do you know any good trailer sites?

Comment

Working...
                              X