my desktop is full of fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my desktop is full of fail

so get home tonight from the rally and go to upload my pics on the desktop pc and bam, some random hard drive failue that wont let me go past the boot screen. worst part is my finished 6 page english paper due tuesday was on it, and i had only backed up half of it on my usb drive . now im stuck on the laptop with 3 missing key's until i go pick up a new hard drive and figure out a way to reinstall windows with no cd
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold
    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

i like you. you have my luck with computers
    2009 silver JK - destination beachy jeep
    J10 project do want.
    "attack life. its just going to kill you anyway"

Comment

I've got windows XP pro with a Serial that will pass any valadation microsoft will throw at you if you ever need it. I'm in willimantic, So I'm probably to far for something that easy to get but If you wanna take me up on it, bring the tower and HD and we can install.
      -Matt
      Facebook

Comment

he lives in plainfield about 20 mins from willarico

Comment

i may need it, im pretty sure ill need to reinstall windows when i put a new hard drive in
          up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
          eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

Just post here or shoot me a PM and we can set something up.
            -Matt
            Facebook

Comment

thanks, im ordering the hard drive tonight if staples dont have any in stock, never knew they were so cheap.
              eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

boot in safe mode or from a windows xp cd, hit r for repair and run a "chkdsk /f /r /x"
                "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by 1cleantj View Post
                  thanks, im ordering the hard drive tonight if staples dont have any in stock, never knew they were so cheap.
                  Tigerdirect.com

newegg.com

Staples/Best buy and you'll pay WAY to much. I haven't looked at a new hard drive in a while, but in the past you can't go wrong if you order from these sites.
                  -Matt
                  Facebook

Comment

he might not even need a new HD
                    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

no i def due, wont even get past boot, plus its been warning me about hard drive may fail for awhile now , the hard drive that came with my pc i guess its pretty common that they fail. it doesnt surprise me though, I've had it for 4 years now, keep it on all the time and have reformatted it a few times

i'd try the window xp cd , although im running vista. anyways dont matter ordered up a new one today from newegg for $48
                      eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to try Dana's suggestion though, I kinda skipped over a few key sentences in the post. It's not difficult to run a chkdsk and it could save you having to buy a new hard drive, and even all your work. I put my XP disk in my other desktop the other day to reinstall because after the boot screen the computer stopped processing and I had a black screen. Right before I hit accepted a format, I said what the fuck, why not and tried a repair. The computer runs great and I still have all my content.

I didn't have any hard drive errors on it ever, but its still worth the try.
                        -Matt
                        Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                          boot in safe mode or from a windows xp cd, hit r for repair and run a "chkdsk /f /r /x"
                          tried it from the only option i have and i get "cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.
                          eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by 1cleantj View Post
                            tried it from the only option i have and i get "cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.
                            you have to do it from the cd then, or just try it without any modifiers (just chkdsk)

Comment

tried it without them and wouldnt do much, basically said it couldnt do it. I tried the repair thingy again and it actually made it all the way through and tried to repair, but it couldnt because half the files it was looking for wernt accessible (obviously). I ordered up a hard drive from new egg and guess ill just install windows xp for OS, otherwise id have to get a vista cd from somewhere to try it from a cd
                              eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

Working...
                              X