Where to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start

This is going here simply because there's more traffic.

With the car being close to finishing up (and my lack of not wanting to drop any more money into it this year), its time to start focusing on my jeep, moreso now because I can't drive my car come winter.

My cherokee is currently on the side of Andy's garage collecting dust, completely gutted, halfway done with the floor patchwork. I've decided what route I want to take with the jeep, accept when it comes down to axles. Right now I have the 36's TSLs I purchased from Sam, and F/R D44s out of a wagoneer.

I'd really like to keep this build as cheap as possible (So far the only thing I've spent any money on is the tires...everything else, including the jeep was free.)

Should I spend money and rebuild the 44's, and deal with the ride on the 36's?

Trade the 44's and 36's for 33's and a 30/8.25, bolt it all up and go?

Advice,direction,support...I've realistically got 3 months to get this thing on the road.

really up to you. I sorta went through this same thing, deciding on what tire size I wanted to run and what axles I wanted to run. Im only running 35s right now but decided to run 44 F/R incase I decide to go bigger. And on 35s, i really should never break my 44s ever, especially with the parts I have. Just remember, that shit adds up, lockers run 500 bucks, gears, diff covers, brakes , ect. Im spending close to 1000 bucks on my rear axle, and already spend 800 on a fully built front axle ( sick deal ).

Really up to you. Do you want to be more hardcore and have bigger tires ( seems to be the trend around here) or are you perfectly content with running 33s?

Comment

You may be able to get a some what 30/8.25 combo if you trade some one your axles and tires.
      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

With the amount of wheeling I've done, plan on doing...I know I won't need a hardcore trail rig - its main use is getting me around from nov-march when its crappy out.

Basically, its either spend more money now and do the work on the 44s, build them, and be done, or trade the setup for the 30/8.25/33s and install them so the jeep is mobile, and gear/lock them over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          really up to you. I sorta went through this same thing, deciding on what tire size I wanted to run and what axles I wanted to run. Im only running 35s right now but decided to run 44 F/R incase I decide to go bigger. And on 35s, i really should never break my 44s ever, especially with the parts I have. Just remember, that shit adds up, lockers run 500 bucks, gears, diff covers, brakes , ect. Im spending close to 1000 bucks on my rear axle, and already spend 800 on a fully built front axle ( sick deal ).

Really up to you. Do you want to be more hardcore and have bigger tires ( seems to be the trend around here) or are you perfectly content with running 33s?
          you haven't done shit except scuba dive and eat subway. Your advice is invalid
          Originally posted by Fast Orange
          if you piss all over the floor and get 3 drops in the bowl do you count that as good? granted i'm good for a sprinkle or two on the seat, but you leave all of our feet wet, metaphorically speaking of course
          Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
          I find adam sandler strangely attractive, it must be josh's fault. god that kid sucks

Comment

If its not going to be on the trails all the time might as wel rock 33s on stock axles.
            -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruecifur View Post
              you haven't done shit except scuba dive and eat subway. Your advice is invalid
              you have no idea what ive done. and why do you keep bringing up subway? Its a restaurant that I eat at, whats the big deal?

Comment

my opinion would be to get your ass to work on the 44's

mostly everyone i have ever talked to that has downgraded from a previous set up to save money, has regretted it later

it's one thing to start out somewhere to save money, but it seems like you already have your foot in the door to a nice build, finish it the way you intended and you will be much happier in the long run imo

even if you decide to drop down to 33's, why the hell wouldn't you just rock 44's f/r?
                Last edited by Even; 08-12-2009, 10:00 AM.

Comment

my opinion is, if it's not gonna be on the trails as much, just run a 30/8.25. i mean for the most part you can run 35's on a 29 spline and the newer 30's with the larger u joints. this way you have it on the road faster, ie by the end of fall, and it will still perform well off road. theres my .02
                  No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                  Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post

mostly everyone i have ever talked to that has downgraded from a previous set up to save money, has regretted it later
                    he isnt running any setup right now, so it wouldnt be a downgrade, just a change in direction.

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post

even if you decide to drop down to 33's, why the hell wouldn't you just rock 44's f/r?
                    Because its a lot of work and money for something pretty unnecessary for 33s

IMHO, judging from your split duty between car and jeep, i would rock whatever setup gets you out on the trails and enjoying yourself the soonest, not to mention the needed winter duty. if you have no problem running a non-'hardcore' 'smaller' setup, go for the 33s and dont look back, you can do a lot with it and still have a good time.

too many people spend months building and building and building and doin this and that to only wheel a few times a year or skip seasons altogether IMO. get out on the trail, its been awhile for you already
                    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                    Originally posted by DizzDizz
                    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                      he isnt running any setup right now, so it wouldnt be a downgrade, just a change in direction.

Because its a lot of work and money for something pretty unnecessary for 33s
                      It's not like he's going to be starting this build in the spring time and will miss a whole season of wheeling. He might miss a run or two in the fall, but he has all winter to work on the setup he has now. I see what youre saying, but if it were me I know one day I would be kicking myself in the ass for not working with the free pair of 44's I landed. But then again, I enjoy watching my jeep sit on jackstands for months at a time
                      Last edited by Even; 08-12-2009, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 00grntj View Post
                        With the amount of wheeling I've done, plan on doing...I know I won't need a hardcore trail rig - its main use is getting me around from nov-march when its crappy out.
                        someone needs to teach you to read. ^^even

ForSure Motorsports
                        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

he needs the jeep to drive in the winter time.

edit: beaten by mere milliseconds
                          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                          Originally posted by DizzDizz
                          aliens probed my husband

Comment

winner!!! yes

ForSure Motorsports
                            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

oh yea...forgot that part

well then fuck it, sell the axles and tires

Comment

Working...
                              X