tech opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tech opinion

sort of stuck here in South Dakota until I can figure out the grinding/slippage in my driveline.. I would think it's tansfercase, since a ujoint exploded in the rear not 200 miles before this other problem.. I was just driving along then felt a "jump" in the driving.. almost like a jerk motion.. a couple of those for 50 miles for so, then all of a sudden, I hear zizzzzzing, combined with high revvs and no forward drive... I let off the gas, till rpms hit 1K then back on and it drives with power again, only to do it again shortly down the road.. can I get a few more opinions?

stop driveing b4 your totaly destroy what ever it is. deff sounds like a trany/t-case issue. could also be a diff.
    #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

if you have the option id jack up the rear end and spin the tires and drive shaft with the tranny in neutral. see if you can see/feel anything.
      #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

"I hear zizzzzzing, combined with high revvs and no forward drive."

like the tranny is slipping and free wheeling, or does it still feel like there is a load on it
        Last edited by Magilla; 07-26-2009, 12:59 PM.
        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
        2001 wj tbd
        1974 5 ton

Comment

Kinda sounds like the T-case to me. Put it up on stands and see if you can tell where it is when you spin the tires/ds by hand.

Comment

my opinion would be next time break down in a more exciting state...
            Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

actually, we're stuck in sturgis... 1 week away from the bike rally, one hour from rushmore, and 15 minutes from deadwood.. so there is definitly shit to do.. and I can get there, just barely, in 4lo...

that's the other thing.. 4lo works just fine.. it's the rest of the gambit on the np242 that is fucked.. I just went out to check orielly's store for the flange adaptor that broke when the ujoint burned up.. no luck on that for a spare one.. people on the highway don't like that my top speed is 25mph and it's one lane for quite a bit... no shoulder either..

anyone make anything of this?

Comment

google it?
                I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

tcase is junk, same symptoms vinny had one his before we replaced it. super loud zizzing type noise and no forward or reverse drive in any tranny or tcase gear. im pretty sure it dropped some a clip or something near the fulltime unit.. but the fulltime unit was at fault for the failure.

Comment

alright good to hear, Adam, I won't be able to do anything today since it's sunday and everywhere for a replacement is closed.. I just finished a trip update thru the redwoods and I'm going to upload some more pics for further dates and then get the rear up to spin it free..

Comment

spun the rear wheel and there is a clicky ratchety clickity klackety sound coming from what sounds and feels like the forwad part of the tcase.. i think it's the tcase.. eh?

Comment

i'd say so, my offer still stands
                        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                        2001 wj tbd
                        1974 5 ton

Comment

shipping for it looks retarted though, still, have to see how tmo pans out as far as finding a replacement here, if anyone can find or knows of a south Dakota jeepish club, let me know as they may have something that can help me out.

Comment

Westside Dismantlers
                            3230 Whitewood Service Rd
                            Sturgis, SD 57785 Map
                            (605) 347-0289

Langin Auto Salvage
                            3025 Vanocker Rd, Sturgis, SD 57785
                            605-347-3644

Jim's Auto Salvage
                            20625 131st Ave, Sturgis, SD 57785
                            605-347-2303

Alan's Auto Recycling Inc
                            1800 Seger Dr
                            Rapid City, SD 57701 Map
                            (605) 388-0550

A 1 Auto Recyclers
                            Rapid City, SD 57702
                            (605) 348-8442

Moore's Auto Salvage
                            1761 Country Rd
                            Rapid City, SD 57701 Map
                            (605) 348-4926

Aggressive Auto & Salvage
                            2019 Seger Dr
                            Rapid City, SD 57701 Map
                            (605) 342-1825

Lefler Auto Salvage
                            Serving the Sturgis Area
                            (605) 923-4136

http://sd.craigslist.org/pts/1284771936.html
                            Last edited by Magilla; 07-27-2009, 12:52 AM.
                            2001 wj tbd
                            1974 5 ton

Comment

RJ - I might need you to ship out that tcase... can you get me some prices? zip is 57785.. can't find shit around here for less than $350

Comment

Working...
                              X