Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trailer reg info

I looked on the dmv site but wasnt 100% clear

I found a car trailer for $800 that has no registration or title...... can i still register it with just a bill of sale? what do i need to do?
    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

also the trailer only has hydraulic serge brakes.... and they need new lines. is this a system i should stay away from?
    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Your only options at this point are to get a brand new reg and title.

There are two ways of going about this. One is easy and a little shady, the other takes more work but makes everything 100% legal.

You could register the trailer as a 1000 lb (that's the max load) utility trailer which is doable at the DMV in one day and get a plate and never worry about inspection or anything. However, you are planning on pulling a total load of potentially 5000 lbs with the jeep and the trailer combined. Andy's trailer is set up this way and he has been pulling cars for years with it without getting pulled over and checked out. All you would have to do is whip up some bullshit costs for the trailer (steel, maybe tires, axles, lights, try to get a couple receipts so it looks good). Have the guy write out the bill of sale as two axles and a tongue and tell them you built the rest from scratch. This is what they will tax you on so make it cheap!

The second way is to go through inspection and register it for more weight (5000-7500ish, you pick or just whatever the tongue says on it or what the tires all add up to for capacity) which wasn't all that bad if everything works good on the trailer. Again you need receipts which indicate you built. Go to DMV and get a temp and then pull it out to whethersfield for inspection. They'll check your lights, your width, the brakes and emergency brake teather. All 4 wheels need brakes and I think the hydraulics are ok. Then you go to the dmv and register final and get a title sent int he mail saying 2009 utility trailer.

Read it all here,
      http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=804&q=244914
      http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=810&Q=245094

Comment

yeesh, i found a brandy new trailer for $2500... might be worth getting that, haha

Comment

I hate surge brakes, but that's just me
          1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
          1999 sierra
          1967 M725 Big and Slow
          -Dan

Comment

im more or less afraid of buying this trailer and not being able to get it registered and or having it suck ass at towing

Comment

honestly I would go for electric brakes. If you end up towing a lot it will save you from buying new rotors for your truck several times a year. Every trailer with surge brakes I have ever towed didn't work right and barely slowed it down.

this is what I have

http://www.cuddebacktrailer.com/bigtex_70pi.htm
              1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
              1999 sierra
              1967 M725 Big and Slow
              -Dan

Comment

Working...
              X