Public Enemies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Enemies.

Went and saw it tonight with Nic and my Mother and I have to say, I have very mixed feelings about this movie.

Basically the best thing about this movie for me personally was the accuracy to time period weapons. Winchester 94s, Thompson Submachine Guns, BARs, 1911s, Winchester 10 gauge shotguns, Remington Model 8s etc, all on screen in their blazing glory, cutting down good guys and bad guys alike in both the forest, city and off the sides of vehicles. The opening scene were Bale guns down Pretty Boy Floyd with a bolt action Mannlicher-Schoenauer style bolt and a set trigger (which was actually used) really set a precedent for the rest of the movie, and the gunplay was the best I've seen in for a movie of that time period.

Depp does well, plays the part well, Bale is Bale, and plays the same character in almost every movie, so pass. No problems there or with the rest of the cast. I could go on about the fact that they got a blue eyed french woman to play a native american, but I'll let it slide since I don't really care.

What I had wished they had done was build a little bit more of a backstory with some of the other gangsters like Baby Face Nelson. They never explain why he is such a fucking loony toon who loves to gun down cops or why Dillinger is the only one that can control him. Character Development simply doesn't happen in this film - at all.

And for the worst part, for me at least, was either the fact that the entire movie was filmed in HD OR the fact that Mann had no fucking idea how to film a goddamn movie in HD. If Mann had stuck to film, this wouldn't be a problem or if he had actually fucking learned how to do it. Some scenes were so blatantly filmed on a set and you can tell so easily, almost to a point where you can tell where exactly the lights are coming from and you can almost picture Mann sitting behind the camera saying 'Yeah, this is good enough'. He overly uses this shakey camera effect which should be fucking stopped in all movies anyway, but in some intense low light scenes, you basically can't fucking see anything because of how blurry the screen comes. This becomes a problem when you are trying to identify some of the guns being used and all you see is a faint blur. I'm surprised the entire movie was even filmed in HD because I swear to God I've seen the same quality from an SD handy cam that Will owns.

I already told Will to avoid this movie because of that fact, but it might only drive him to see it. I might be overreacting a bit on the cinematography, but when it detracts from the movie that is almost 3 hours long, you start wishing Mann had stuck to this time around.

What I tell the rest is to go see the movie, mainly for the action. Some points get dull, but when the guns start blazin, shit gets intense.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

if the script is alright and the actors dont suck i can get past shitty filming and still be entertained.

and this movie has guns and gangsters so i def wanna see it
    2 tj's
    3 yj's
    2 xj's
    i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

no, you cant get past it. I sat there and I watched the movie and if you have ever watched the extras on a movie and you see the raw footage, that's what a lot of the scenes looked like. they had not been color corrected and as i said to phil, thecamera they used is horrible in low light and Mann does not know how to play to the strengths of the camera instead many scenes have lots of visual noise.

it upset me that this movie had a huge budget and many scenes looked like they could have been shot with wills camera-no offense will.

Comment

So Mann used the f23 a camera , that when used well gives very good, film-like images, Mann is just a moron and he shoots the film with different framerates, and shutter speeds, which are forbidden in video when trying to make it look like film.

Now there are some films you can watch shot on digital, that you wouldn't guess...

Star Wars (Well maybe the AOTC and ROTS)
        The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
        Knowing
        Che

Steven Soderbergh (Oceans 11,12,13) now swears by the Red One, thats all digital, he claims he'll never shoot film again

Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) also claims he will never go back to film

When Digital is done right , it looks incredible, but the Bloody Cinealta F23 should not be the leader of the digital rebellion

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepless View Post

it upset me that this movie had a huge budget and many scenes looked like they could have been shot with wills camera-no offense will.

http://jackcabbage.blogspot.com/2008...r-crank-2.html
          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
          Originally posted by DizzDizz
          aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Zacatac View Post
            So Mann used the f23 a camera , that when used well gives very good, film-like images, Mann is just a moron and he shoots the film with different framerates, and shutter speeds, which are forbidden in video when trying to make it look like film.

Now there are some films you can watch shot on digital, that you wouldn't guess...

Star Wars (Well maybe the AOTC and ROTS)
            The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
            Knowing
            Che

Steven Soderbergh (Oceans 11,12,13) now swears by the Red One, thats all digital, he claims he'll never shoot film again

Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) also claims he will never go back to film

When Digital is done right , it looks incredible, but the Bloody Cinealta F23 should not be the leader of the digital rebellion
            But therein lies the difference. All of those movies were done WELL with digital, and don't get me wrong, I like digital better then film as well, but that is where I think Mann totally fucked up this time around.

Also, I know NOTHING about the film industry or editing or what cameras they used other then the distinction between Film and Digital, and the fact that I can blatantly tell framerate differences and that fact that some scenes were basically raw footage, tells you something.
            Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 07-08-2009, 01:46 PM.
            sigpic
            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

it also speaks loads about the editor

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                But therein lies the difference. All of those movies were done WELL with digital, and don't get me wrong, I like digital better then film as well, but that is where I think Mann totally fucked up this time around.

Also, I know NOTHING about the film industry or editing or what cameras they used other then the distinction between Film and Digital, and the fact that I can blatantly tell framerate differences and that fact that some scenes were basically raw footage, tells you something.
                Exactly... what Mann does to screw up his films is, Film cameras have a 180 degree shutter angle(speed) digital cameras give you differnt shutter speeds, at odd things, so mann shot the film on a 270degree shutter, thus producing a video look

But that doesn't mean every angle besides 180 doesn't work... 28days later was shot with a 1/250 shutter speed (180degree is 1/48th shutter) and thats why it looks so crisp and sharp, and shaky

Originally posted by Jeepless View Post
                it also speaks loads about the editor
                How so?

Comment

while i don't know much about film, it was a $5 well spent.
                  87 Comanche 4.0 4wd

Comment

Working...
                  X