Best penetrant for removing rusted nuts/bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best penetrant for removing rusted nuts/bolts

Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment. The results are as follows;

Penetrating oil..... Average load
    None ............ ......516 pounds
    WD-40 ............ ....238 pounds
    PB Blaster ............ 214 pounds
    Liquid Wrench ..... 127 pounds
    Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
    ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50-50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone

very very interesting
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

hrmm, ill have to try this acetone/atf mix.
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

pb blaster has always been my weapon of choice

Comment

i wonder how heat stacks up.
        also how would one spray atf/acetone?

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan10 View Post
          i wonder how heat stacks up.
          also how would one spray atf/acetone?
          put it in a spray bottle perhaps
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

i have Kano Aero-Kroil and it works amazing..... puts PB to shame sometimes.
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

my new favorite stuff is called Deep Creep. It's made by seafoam and it works nicely for stuck stuff. You can use it for like a million different applications including spraying it down your intake like the normal seafoam, and cleaning sensors. You can also use it to start motors and oil guns and fishin poles. It's really pretty versatile.
              1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
              1999 sierra
              1967 M725 Big and Slow
              -Dan

Comment

ive heard mouse milk is the best

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                  put it in a spray bottle perhaps

lulz.

Comment

I use Kano Kroil and some stuff at work called 'Knock-er-(up) Loose'
                    sigpic
                    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

mmmm kroil

Comment

Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
                        my new favorite stuff is called Deep Creep. It's made by seafoam and it works nicely for stuck stuff. You can use it for like a million different applications including spraying it down your intake like the normal seafoam, and cleaning sensors. You can also use it to start motors and oil guns and fishin poles. It's really pretty versatile.
                        this ish?

i saw it at NAPA today and almost bought it, but i've never seen anyone use it b4
                        "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

yep that's the stuff. I like it alot. I originally bought it to start my bel air, the guys at the local parts store told me it was better for the carb than ether. Then I discovered its many other uses.
                          1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                          1999 sierra
                          1967 M725 Big and Slow
                          -Dan

Comment

theres a kind i use in an orange can called acrol or somthing..its about 20 bucks a can but works awsomeeeeeeeeee
                            98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

Originally posted by netrachamp1853 View Post
                              theres a kind i use in an orange can called acrol or somthing..its about 20 bucks a can but works awsomeeeeeeeeee
                              thats Aerokroil.... or the Kano Kroil as they call it...... shit is amazing
                              No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Working...
                              X