Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...+Mays+has+died

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- Billy Mays, best known for his high-energy infomercials, has died at the age of 50.

Police have confirmed that he died Sunday morning. He was found at home by his wife at 7:45 a.m.

Police said there was no sign of a break-in, and they do not suspect foul play.

The coroner's office expects to have an autopsy done by Monday afternoon.

Mays became famous for his amped-up infomercials and spots on the Home Shopping Network. His ads featured him shouting about the virtues of products like OxiClean and Orange Glo while demonstrating their efficacy.

The Pennsylvania native got his start in the late 1970s as a salesman selling a portable washing machine to people on the Atlantic City boardwalk. He spent the next 12 years selling products at home shows, auto shows and state fairs across the United States.

He first surfaced nationally when he became friends with rival salesman Max Appel, who founded OrangeGlo International. The company hired Mays to go on the Home Shopping Network to sell its line of cleaners: OxiClean, Orange Clean and Orange Glo.

Since then, he had appeared in infomercials for "as seen on TV" inventions like the Steam Buddy, Mighty Mendit and the Ding King.

In 2008, Mays started appearing in ads for ESPN's online service, ESPN360, which were designed as parodies of his own commercials.

Most recently, he teamed up with fellow pitchman Anthony Sullivan for the Discovery Channel documentary "Pitchmen."

Mays was a passenger on the US Airways 737 aircraft that took a hard landing at Tampa International Airport on Saturday, an airport spokesperson has confirmed.

Mays posted about the incident to his Twitter account.

"Just had a close call landing in Tampa," he wrote. "The tires blew out upon landing. Stuck in the plane on the runway. You can always count on US Air."

Officials have not said if his death is connected to that incident.

Mays' wife, Deborah, released a statement Sunday.

"Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days. Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times."

Mays' son, Billy, posted to his Twitter account Sunday morning.

"My dad didn't wake up this morning.. I'm sure you'll all hear about it. It hasn't yet hit me but it's about to."

Yeah, dude. fuckin sucks. all over ar15.com.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

whats going on wit the world?

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan10 View Post
        whats going on wit the world?

Farrah Fawcett asked God when she went to heaven to save the world's children, so He killed Michael Jackson.

When Michael Jackson went to heaven he asked God to prevent his home and assets to be 'taken to the cleaners'.

So he killed Billy Mays.
        sigpic

Comment

Damnit 2 seconds 2 late. Alex beat me to it.
          Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

ahh thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

apparently Billy hit his head on a flight yesterday. Related? dunno. maybe. dun dun dun

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
                apparently Billy hit his head on a flight yesterday. Related? dunno. maybe. dun dun dun
                Yeah, the plane he was on had a few blown out tires and I think luggage fell from the racks above and hit him good.

Head trauma like this has been reported before, someone gets hit in the head hard, they suffer no instant concussions or headaches, but the next day they are dead due to a brain clot. Fucked up.

They are doing an autopsy I think.
                sigpic

Comment

Autopsy is monday.
                  Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

shit blows, but that's life, last year a friend of my family, who was the fther of two college students was playing golf and fell and hit his head. They took him to the er for a concussion, well there they find out his brain is swelling inside his skull so to stop it the put him in a coma. A day goes by, the swelling goes down so they try taking hi. Outta the coma and his brain blows up again. They had to call the kids home from college cuz their father was gonna die. Saddest thing ever, guy was 45 and perfectly healthy
                    dirty30

Comment

Damn
                      I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

poor guy, he was the man. no one can top that perfectly groomed beard of his
                        P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                        2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                        OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                          poor guy, he was the man. no one can top that perfectly groomed beard of his
                          agreed. his beard was awesome.

Comment

eh celebrities usually die in 3's
                            1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                            1999 sierra
                            1967 M725 Big and Slow
                            -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
                              eh celebrities usually die in 3's
                              this is the 4th

bad week to be famous dude
                              2009 silver JK - destination beachy jeep
                              J10 project do want.
                              "attack life. its just going to kill you anyway"

Comment