Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kill a man, get 30 days in jail. Seems fair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill a man, get 30 days in jail. Seems fair.

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth will spend 30 days in jail for a DUI manslaughter that killed a construction worker in March under terms of a plea agreement, prosecutors said Tuesday.

Stallworth, 28, pleaded guilty in a Florida court Tuesday to killing Mario Reyes while driving under the influence of alcohol. He began serving his sentence immediately, said Terry Chavez, spokeswoman for the Miami-Dade state attorney's office.

With his mother, Donna Stallworth, at his side, Stallworth offered his "deepest condolences to the Reyes family."

"Though I cannot bring back Mr. Reyes or ease his family's pain, I can and will honor his memory by committing my time, my resources and my voice by educating this community about the dangers of drunk driving," Stallworth said in court.

State attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle called the judgment "just" and said that Reyes' family supported the plea agreement. Stallworth cooperated with police and did not have a record of traffic violations or criminal convictions, she said in a news release.

"Although no sentence can ever restore Mr. Reyes to his family, the provisions of this plea will provide closure to them and appropriate punishment for Mr. Stallworth's conduct and the effects of his actions that night," she said.

Stallworth reached an "amicable" financial settlement with the Reyes family, his lawyer, Chris Lyons, told CNN sister network HLN. He would not disclose the amount, but said the short jail term "had nothing to do with Donte Stallworth being a celebrity, a professional football player or money."

"Everyone today thought it was a fair and just result, including the judge," Lyons said. Stallworth has shown "genuine remorse" and accepted responsibility for his actions, the lawyer said.

"He already had dedicated his life to serving the community outside the public eye," he said. "He is really looking forward to the enormous responsibility that he has to go out there around the country, giving public service announcements, speaking at high schools about this tragedy, so that people can learn from this and not have it happen again."

After his release, Stallworth faces two years of house arrest, but he can still play professional football, Chavez said.

The Cleveland Browns declined comment.

Stallworth's plea agreement also requires that he donate $2,500 to the activist group Mothers Against Drunk Driving. He will be on probation for eight years and must submit to random drug testing and drug and alcohol counseling for the entirety of his probation, Chavez said.

His license to drive was revoked for life.

Stallworth was driving his black Bentley GT east on the MacArthur Causeway, which connects Miami to the South Beach area of Miami Beach, when he struck Reyes, according to a prosecutor's statement. Stallworth told the arriving officer that he was the driver of the car and said, "I hit the man lying in the road," according to a court document.

Stallworth had been at a Miami Beach club earlier and had been drinking, according to court documents. The veteran NFL player's blood-alcohol level was 0.126, Chavez said. Florida's legal limit is 0.08. Reyes suffered "critical head, chest and abdominal injuries" and died at a hospital, according to court documents.

So the dude kills a guy while hes drunk, only has to serve 30 days in jail, pay a 2500 fine, probation, and can never drive again. Hmmmm. Seems fair for taking someones life.

And he can still play football? If a team takes him back, he will make millions and millions of dollars and a 2500 dollar fine and a private settlement out of court is all he had to pay?

I think letting this dude back in the NFL is wayy worse than letting Vick play again .

special treatment for the rich and famous
    I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Quine View Post
      special treatment for the rich and famous
      This. Fucking Pathetic.

Why does he need a licenses, he can just have his homeboys drive his ass around.

He should never touch a football field for the rest of his life.
      sigpic
      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
        This. Fucking Pathetic.

Why does he need a licenses, he can just have his homeboys drive his ass around.

He should never touch a football field for the rest of his life.
        im surprised the NFL was so quick to say he could play again.

They are all about trying to create good role models for younger people who look up to the players.

Vick ran an illegal dog fighting ring in which no Humans were killed.
        Stallworth killed someone while drinking and driving.

Hmmm, what is a 18 year old more likely to do after seeing their heros do it? Drinking and driving ( I see it at EVERY party i go to ) or Run an illegal dog fighting ring.

This dude stallworth shouldnt ever play in the NFL again

Comment

he's a football player so its ok
          2 tj's
          3 yj's
          2 xj's
          i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            im surprised the NFL was so quick to say he could play again.

They are all about trying to create good role models for younger people who look up to the players.

Vick ran an illegal dog fighting ring in which no Humans were killed.
            Stallworth killed someone while drinking and driving.

Hmmm, what is a 18 year old more likely to do after seeing their heros do it? Drinking and driving ( I see it at EVERY party i go to ) or Run an illegal dog fighting ring.

This dude stallworth shouldnt ever play in the NFL again
            Hey, Ted Kennedy is still allowed to be a politician and didn't serve any time. Oh well.

One more Negroid playing in the NFL.
            sigpic

Comment

you would be surprised how many people this has happened to. its just that hes famous (and according to phill, black) that people notice.

yes he was drunk and driving... witch is bad
              yes he hit and killed someone.. very bad
              but does that mean he should spend his life in jail? what would that accomplish?
              Im by no means sticking up for this guy but he has to live the rest of his life knowing he killed someone, and thats the real penalty.
              I am friends with someone hit hit and killed 2 people, it wasn't his fault, and he was sober. His life was almost ruined, he tried to commit suicide. Its a large burden to cary around.
              "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                you would be surprised how many people this has happened to. its just that hes famous (and according to phill, black) that people notice.

yes he was drunk and driving... witch is bad
                yes he hit and killed someone.. very bad
                but does that mean he should spend his life in jail? what would that accomplish?
                Im by no means sticking up for this guy but he has to live the rest of his life knowing he killed someone, and thats the real penalty.
                I am friends with someone hit hit and killed 2 people, it wasn't his fault, and he was sober. His life was almost ruined, he tried to commit suicide. Its a large burden to cary around.
                I don't want him to spend life in jail, I want him to quit his NFL career and preach the wrongs of his doings.

And you are comparing your friend to someone who DOES take responsibility for the loss of life. Your friend may have had no control over the situation, but Donte Stallworth DID have control at one point and lost it when he got into the car drunk. Apples and Oranges.

Don't give me a bleeding heart with someone who killed someone else while drinking and driving, please.
                sigpic

Comment

Madd is pissed

Mothers Against Drunk Driving put this statement on its Web site:

MADD is profoundly disappointed in the 30 day jail sentence for Donte Stallworth who killed a pedestrian while driving drunk. We have heard there may be a contribution to MADD in the settlement and if that is true, we will not accept any monies. This case is a clear test of the NFL’s continued tolerance of drunk driving among its players. We are closely watching what the NFL does.
                  "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Don't give me a bleeding heart with someone who killed someone else while drinking and driving, please.
                    I understand. But its a mistake a lot of people can easily make.

Comment

And that is why he should not be allowed to play football and try and prevent more of these mistakes with his near celebrity status.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ive done some really stupid things in my life, but have never even stepped in the drivers seat of a car if I have had one beer. It is my number one pet peeve ( drinking and driving ). People who do it and think its ok are assholes. Have a plan before you start drinking. If you dont have a driver, plan on staying there for awhile ( until you are sober ) or start walking.

Comment

Thats sick. He shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL again. I can understand driving around and getting a DUI on the way home from the bar, but speeding down the highway and you kill someone? Come on, fucking christ. He should lose his job and his license.
                          2000 XJ
                          2000 A.C.E. 750

Comment

i heart our justice system
                            I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

I see your side of this, but i have ZERO sympathy for celebrities that have the need to go get fucked up and get behind the wheel. If you know your going to be out doing coke or getting plastered, have one of your limos carry your ass around. Most of these retards feel the need to drive around in their brand new Lambos and make an entrance.

Comment

Working...
                              X