Got me a computer question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got me a computer question.....

Well my mac gave me a messae the it needed a security update, it does this regularly and always lets me know of updates. the problem is that wehn I clicked ok it gave me a message that the "startup disk is too full to install the new software." I have no clue what this means. how do I clean it out?

btw its Mac OS-X 10.4.11 if that helps
    P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
    2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
    OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

My best advice, and I'd hate to be that guy but...
    It sounds like you should buy a PC>
    Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

thanks chris....throwing out m maczors now
      P8R

OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

sigpic
        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

check the obvious...

do you have enough space left on the hard drive?

Comment

yea its full, im gonna have to go delete some stuff. It says to "erase files from the startup disk" so im confused about that
            P8R

Comment

Get rid of some files on your hard drive. Music, movies, programs you don't use. Or get an external HD and back them up if you want to keep them. The security program on your comp is updating has new virus, malware, and spyware definitions and it needs more space on HD to save them and utilize them. This is good, because you will have more up to date definitions.

probably. I don't use a mac. But thats an educated guess.
              Last edited by Adam; 05-21-2009, 12:54 AM.
              2000 XJ
              2000 A.C.E. 750

Comment

Open up Finder, click on the hard drive on the left side, usually called Macintosh HD. On the bottom of the finder window it should say XX.XX GB Available.

or go to GO on the menu, Utilities, Disk Utility. On the left side click on Macintosh HD, on the right side Click on partition. This shows a image of what has been used and what is free. The blue space is used, the white is unused. it will also tell you total size here.

if you're wondering where your space is being taken up, http://www.derlien.com/

Monolingual is a neat utility to remove language files stored for all applications, so if you only speak english you can keep the 3 english languages. For me this freed up 2gb or more of space.

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

Comment

Working...
                X