X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gun question

going to Hoffmans gun center tonight and im going to pick up a new toy

i was thinking of getting a Marlin 1984 Cowboy: LINK

i like lever actions, and this gun is available in 45 colt, 357 mag / 38 spec., or 44 mag / 44 spec.

im having trouble deciding what caliber, im thinking 357 mag so i could shoot cheaper 38 special for plinking and shoot 357 when i need / want to. also a 357 revolver is probably in my future so it might be nice to share guns that use the same ammo.

anyone got advice on what caliber i should get and why?
    also anyone have input of another lever action i should look at and why?
    the reason i like this gun is marlin is a good company and its a cheap gun.
    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
    going to Hoffmans gun center tonight and im going to pick up a new toy

i was thinking of getting a Marlin 1984 Cowboy: LINK

i like lever actions, and this gun is available in 45 colt, 357 mag / 38 spec., or 44 mag / 44 spec.

im having trouble deciding what caliber, im thinking 357 mag so i could shoot cheaper 38 special for plinking and shoot 357 when i need / want to. also a 357 revolver is probably in my future so it might be nice to share guns that use the same ammo.

anyone got advice on what caliber i should get and why?
    also anyone have input of another lever action i should look at and why?
    the reason i like this gun is marlin is a good company and its a cheap gun.
    I'm probably the biggest marlin fanboy so You've asked the right question.

They are excellent guns and as you stated, go with the .357/38 special or the 44 mag / 44 special one. 45 colt is a bit harder to come by but with the 44 mag and the 357 you can shoot the cheaper version of both - 44 special and 38 special.

I just finished cutting down a Marlin 1894 Cowboy at work. Barrel and magazine tube cut down to 16.5" and smoothed the action.

I plan on picking up a Marlin 1984 in .44 after I get another Marlin 336 in .444.

If you don't decide to get the Marlin, either get a winchester or don't get anything, but you'll find that Winchester lever actions are more expensive because the New Haven plant closed, and people think they are fucking made of gold. Henry leveractions are garbage and have pot metal receivers and the Pumas can be finicky and are made in Brazil.

Just go with the fuckin Marlin.
    Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

yeah... im probably just going to get it in .357 mag

the Winchester is about $500 more
      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

the Winchester is about $500 more
        And the Marlin is a stronger more durable gun anway.
        sigpic

Comment

i really like the octagon barrel

Comment

im gonna have to agree with phil because he has a beard
            I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Quine View Post
              im gonna have to agree with phil because he has a beard
              x2 valid point.
              1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
              1999 sierra
              1967 M725 Big and Slow
              -Dan

Comment

i really like the octagon barrel
                The octagonal barrels are easier to work on too.
                sigpic

Comment

side note... also pickup up a 20 gauge side by side coach gun as well

Comment

side note... also pickup up a 20 gauge side by side coach gun as well

Mine as well just get a Ruger Vaquero in 357 and start Cowboy Action Shooting.
                    sigpic

Comment

are stoeger pump shotguns any good? they look like a benelli pump but i know nothing haha

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

nothing wrong with that.......

Comment

so phil, after all this i go to hoffmans they hd sold out of the marlins so i just bought a mossburge pistol grip pump.. this exact one

Comment

My advice, get a full size stock for the rear.

Your wrist will thank you later.
                            sigpic

Comment

yeah if he;s gonna clay shoot. otherwise it just looks tacticool

Comment

Working...
                              X