Judy Shepard Civil Rights Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judy Shepard Civil Rights Speech

So campus tonight was very interesting. We were having an experience event tonight in our chapel and it was Judy Shepard (Matthew Shepard's mother; The Laramie Project) come and speak to us about her son and hate crimes/gay rights. Well the WBC got wind of this obviously and were scheduled to show up as well, but were not allowed on campus, but allowed on the street behind our chapel not on campus. I have never seen so many public safety officers and reading police officers on campus at once. Students on campus held a silent demonstration "protest" in support of Judy while we had police officers and "umbrella protesters" counter protest the WBC.

The speech was very touching and really had a great meaning! I encourage anyone who is interested in listening to what she has to say to research Judy and her speechs/youtube clips. I expected some story about her son and sort of a sob story about what happened as did a lot of people, but it was about hate crimes/gay/civil rights. Best speech ive heard in a while and very moving. She was comical in there was well. Wanted to share with you all because it was so interesting. And CT and Iowa, and Vermont are the recent states added to legalization of gay marriages with Maine and new Hampshire not far behind.

Discuss your thoughts...?
    "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but rising up everytime we fail."

-Melanie-

is this about the hate bill?
    I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Quine View Post
      is this about the hate bill?
      Yes, but no. She was an amazing speaker about her sons story and how she's gone around for 10 years now giving speeches on how its our generation that needs to teach love and respect and not hate.
      "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but rising up everytime we fail."

-Melanie-

Comment

its all about love man, but people are gonna fight and hurt and mame because we are animals. its never gonna change. unless you stand up, stand up for whats right and let all the people know that......they can take our lives.....but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!
        I once had a 93 XJ, 4.5" o' lift, 33" TSL Super Swampers, 8.25 rear Detroit locked. 2,000 Lb Steering. Custom rockers, Sam's old Bumpah. Cherry Bomb BITCH. SOLD

Fight Team

Official HMC Girlie

Comment

Easy there Wallace.

I think what my friend here is trying to say is that... oh hell, nevermind.

X2 Kai.
          "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
          It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Working...
          X