anybody have a bearing splitter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody have a bearing splitter?

they'd be willing to let me use tomorrow night?
    or know a way to get old bearings off axleshafts, even if they get destroyed? i've got front and rear overhaul kits with a full bearing set, so the old bearings are getting trashed anyways
    2004 WJ
    4.0 - Bored TB - Super 44 with 3" side dump
    6.5" Front and Rear Long-armed, rear 44a, 4.56's

cut down into bearing with angle grinder the long way (align the blade with the shaft), cut most of the way through and take a chisel and tap the hammer in the grind slot. A little pop and the shit will slide right off.

Comment

thanks dude.. any tips for pressing the new ones on?
      2004 WJ

Comment

Use a press. If you don't have a press keep the shaft nice and cool and heat the bearing up. Do it quick and don't forget to put you retainer and seal on first. A toaster should work but the bearings need to be hotttt.

Comment

For a second there I thought the title asked for a Bear Splitter...
          sigpic
          Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Insert bear

Actuate hydraulic cylinder

Enjoy more easily manageable pieces of your favorite bear
            dirty30

Comment

I've got a bearing splitter but it might not work unless you have a press since the shaft is too long for the manual press. Cutting the bearing as stated before is perfect too. If the heat to put the bearing on doesnt work, grab yourself a long piece of pipe that slips over the axleshaft and down to the bearing. Place a block of wood on the other end and you can hammer it down until its seated.
              88 YJ...kinda. Clayton Hard Arms, V8, 1 tons w/Detroits, twin sticked T-18/NP205, Irok's, MasterCrafts, fuel cell, multi-colored

Comment

idk how far southington is but if you come down here to wilton i have access to a press and the right tools to press bearings
                Originally posted by Fast Orange
                if you piss all over the floor and get 3 drops in the bowl do you count that as good? granted i'm good for a sprinkle or two on the seat, but you leave all of our feet wet, metaphorically speaking of course
                Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                I find adam sandler strangely attractive, it must be josh's fault. god that kid sucks

Comment

Originally posted by ruecifur View Post
                  idk how far southington is but if you come down here to wilton i have access to a press and the right tools to press bearings
                  thanks man but i already got it taken care of. i ended up not putting enough shims on my pinion so i need to go to my friends shop tomorrow to pop the bearing off, and then press it back on, and the jeep should be good to go again
                  2004 WJ

Comment

Working...
                  X