Your Thoughts, as Humans With Eyes and Brains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Thoughts, as Humans With Eyes and Brains

So, I work for a long-standing woodworking magazine and we've recently released a "throwback" cover to test the waters as well as celebrate our 40th Anniversary.

A little back story, the magazine was started in 1976 in the attic of the then-owners house. It's been a staple in the woodworking and furniture building community and a huge percentage of our readers have subscribed since the black and white days.

Now, I won't assume anyone here reads it, so here's some covers:

The one on the left is from 1976: all black and white and not a lot of photos, but at the time it was the only magazine of its kind.

The center and right, are the current issue that was just released, #256. I'm simply curious which version you all like better.

The one on the right follows the same style we've had for years, and while it's attractive it also is very similar to many of our competitors. The center is a re-imagining of the original covers. Subscribers got the center one, and I believe newstands got the one on the right.

This isn't an official poll for work, I'm just curious how some outside eyes rate the covers.
    Contemporary Cover (Right)
    45.45%
    Retro/Throwback Cover (Center)
    45.45%
    I have no opinion because I have eaten too much gluten today
    9.09%
    Woodworking is boring and I hate you
    0.00%
    dirty30

right off the bat, the contemporary
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

right. absolutely
      mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
      2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
      and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

I prefer the middle one the best because the contemporary one looks like it would be camoflaged among other "contemporary style" magazines.

Sure there is a lot of dead space but that makes it stand out IMO.
        2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
        • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
        • 4.0/42rle/np241or
        • 5.13's
        • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
        • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanIce-J View Post
          I prefer the middle one the best because the contemporary one looks like it would be camoflaged among other "contemporary style" magazines.

Sure there is a lot of dead space but that makes it stand out IMO.
          This is exactly the idea, and the reason I like it.
          dirty30

Comment

so are we rating based on how good it looks, or how well it communicates heritage? I guess that is an important angle. In any case I would like to change my answer to the last option
            - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

I like the middle one. Makes it look like an old 'how to' book.
              sigpic
              Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                so are we rating based on how good it looks, or how well it communicates heritage? I guess that is an important angle. In any case I would like to change my answer to the last option
                I guess you guys, unless you've been aware of the magazine, can't really get a sense of the heritage that's implied.

This, of course in much smaller terms, would be like if truly re-introduced something like the Grand Wagoneer, with all the guts of the modern JK, but a slightly revitalized but elegantly simple Grand Wagoneer style body on it.

The magazine doesn't have that kind of iconic stature to the majority of the world, but to alot of our readers this has been the most highly regarded source of woodworking information for 40 years.
                dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                  I guess you guys, unless you've been aware of the magazine, can't really get a sense of the heritage that's implied.

This, of course in much smaller terms, would be like if truly re-introduced something like the Grand Wagoneer, with all the guts of the modern JK, but a slightly revitalized but elegantly simple Grand Wagoneer style body on it.

The magazine doesn't have that kind of iconic stature to the majority of the world, but to alot of our readers this has been the most highly regarded source of woodworking information for 40 years.
                  Good analogy. Undoubtedly the middle in that case.
                  - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

I'd go with the middle one. The right side photo seems too large and filled up, kinda like an HGTV commercial should look. I like the white border to give it some dimension
                    I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                      I'd go with the middle one. The right side photo seems too large and filled up, kinda like an HGTV commercial should look. I like the white border to give it some dimension
                      sigpic
                      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Meh, you get the point
                        I drive a Datsun

Comment

Center. Right looks like every other home and garden magazine.
                          1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                          1999 sierra
                          1967 M725 Big and Slow
                          -Dan

Comment

And see I was thinking right because it looks like every other home and garden magazine. Makes it looks more popular and more official.
                            P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                            2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                            OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
                              Center. Right looks like every other home and garden magazine.
                              That's what I think, and while it's good to have a current look, I think the negative space would increase interest at the news stands.
                              dirty30

Comment

Working...
                              X