97 +...Dodge Dakota... the good, the bad, the ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry View Post
    Friend of mine had this for a long time. At a milder state (37s?) drove to CO from Rochester NY and wheeled it for like a week and drove it home.

the only one i could think of when this thread came up at all was Maskalans Lol
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

I give that guy props, but that doesn't look fun to drive across the country
      dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
        Friend of mine had this for a long time. At a milder state (37s?) drove to CO from Rochester NY and wheeled it for like a week and drove it home.

So they are definitely reliable. That's good. I'm not sure id go to 37's but im sure that when that was done originally it was a pretty well done sas.

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
        the only one i could think of when this thread came up at all was Maskalans Lol
        when i saw a lifted sas'd on my way to work that sparked my interest, i thought of this one and this exact picture lol.

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
        I give that guy props, but that doesn't look fun to drive across the country
        x2
        2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
        • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
        • 4.0/42rle/np241or
        • 5.13's
        • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
        • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
          Yes wj has that trans. I blew one up in fact haha.

I've been toying with the same ideas. Dakota, Tacoma, S10, Ranger, Frontier.. looking for a daily or not? Budget?
          I found this while searching. Not a bad article!
          http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-r...-buyers-guide/

here's one specific to the Dakota

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/...ta-or-durango/
          Last edited by SupermanIce-J; 08-05-2016, 08:01 AM.

2003 TJ Rubicon
          • 4.0/42rle/np241or
          • 5.13's
          • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Great powertrain with the 4.7 and 45rfe.... I'd run it. Would prefer a Toyota if I were building a small truck, but one in decent shape costs triple what you can probably get a Dakota for.
            P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
            2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
            OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
              Great powertrain with the 4.7 and 45rfe.... I'd run it. Would prefer a Toyota if I were building a small truck, but one in decent shape costs triple what you can probably get a Dakota for.
              Definitely. If i had my druthers id get a TRD tacoma double cab 4x4. However, even the first gen's with over 150K are still going for MONEY!

Example: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...35514767&Log=0

that was the lowest priced TRD DC I found @ any distance.

2003 TJ Rubicon
              • 4.0/42rle/np241or
              • 5.13's
              • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

so my mind wanders...

I had no idea they made a colordo/canyon with the 5.3... unfortunately they too are torsion bar suspension so not a lot of 4x4 long travel/ mid travel kits out there. but they are worth mentioning in this thread.

2003 TJ Rubicon
                • 4.0/42rle/np241or
                • 5.13's
                • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

Originally posted by SupermanIce-J View Post
                  so my mind wanders...

I had no idea they made a colordo/canyon with the 5.3... unfortunately they too are torsion bar suspension so not a lot of 4x4 long travel/ mid travel kits out there. but they are worth mentioning in this thread.
                  wish i had remembered this, i recall this piquing my interest at at least some point. Lots of hate for the old colorados out there, but i could see a 5.3 in one being pretty sweet
                  - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                  or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                  Originally posted by DizzDizz
                  aliens probed my husband

Comment

Only the 5cyl Colorado Springs sucked. If there is a 5.3 version that would be sweet. Or just an s10
                    I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                      Or just an s10
                      That 4.3 doh...still a good engine brought to you by your friends over at Chevrolet.

And there is a 5.3 version of the Colorado...not sure how common they are tho.
                      Last edited by Pedro; 08-05-2016, 09:36 PM.
                      P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                      2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                      OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

I keep clicking on this thread and humming "The Ecstasy of Gold."

Those canyons are cool, nice looking trucks for sure.
                        dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                          I keep clicking on this thread and humming "The Ecstasy of Gold."
                          I picture a ragged rotten beating and poorly maintained red Dakota on 37s putting along the desert road into the golden sunset with this song playing. Then it explodes.

Roll credit.

Fin.
                          sigpic
                          Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I enjoy the Canyon/Colorado platform. For a mild build they are pretty sweet. Clearly the Taco is the best choice, but the price point is definitely higher by far. The good thing is, you can sell it again in ten years for the same price you bought it If you are going for the "EXP" style rig, I see no reason to do an SAS swap either. I would buy your desired platform, do a 4" ish lift, 33" ish tire and at least 1 locker. I'd rather spend money on bumpers, a winch/ recovery items, and badass things like rooftop tents and all that Jazz. Just my opinion.

My roommate in college had an SAS'd Dakota with a full older Bronco setup underneath. Locked 44/9" and 4.56s on 38.5" SX's. Pretty badass rig but I sure wouldn't drive it cross-country.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Motor options are good. Only thing I would do is replace the plenum plate, factory is stamped steel bullshit on the aluminum manifold, it'll warp real easy and start sucking oil out of the valley. Hughes Engines makes an aluminum replacement
                              2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                              MK2 Jetta > M3
                              Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Working...
                              X