Registering a Pre-Title Era Vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering a Pre-Title Era Vehicle

In anticipation of my day at the DMV registering the new WJ, I'm also going to try registering my 1973 Honda XL175, which I purchased from a woman who's husband bought the bike new in 1973.

Now, I have the original Title for the bike, but the problem is that it a)isn't signed by the late husband and b) I only have a Bill of Sale from the Mrs.

Now, the DMV site says that because it's over 20 years old I can fill out a Q1 form and bring in my Bill of Sale, but I have to order VIA MAIL the Q1 and having never seen one I don't know if I have to have her sign that as well.

My question is to anyone who's titled a vehicle more than 20 years old, what's on that Q1 form, and is it something I can fill out by myself while I am waiting in line. Or should I take my chances and show them the real title and hope they'll just tell me to sign it and be done with it.

dirty30

The truck I registered the other day at the DMV was a 1995, and I did not have the Q1.

I had a Bill of Sale, and the Certificate of Title, both of which were 'signed' over to me, along with a copy of the dude's Will (which I didnt even really need beyond explaining why I didnt have a 'sale price' written)

Long story short, the dude changed his will to give me the truck and stuff, then the same night put a shotgun in his mouth, so the brother (and thus executor of his estate) signed the paperwork with senior shotgun's name.

If you HAVE the title, you might be okay. It seems like the Q1 is for vehicles that are older than 20 that have already been re-sold past the 20 year mark, thus already didnt need the title/had the title lost or taken. If youre second owner since it was bought that should be peachy. Not having it signed might be an issue though?

Worse case scenario, go in to the DMV with what you have, talk to the people at the info desk and they'll tell you if you're good to go or not.
    Amherst or Bust!
    19 JL

Comment

maybe im misunderstanding, but I was under the impression vehicles older than 20 years old didnt need a title for reg. I didnt need it to register my MJ (89)

Connecticut does not require a title for vehicles over 20 model years old. This letter can be used as proof of what model year vehicles Connecticut titles. http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/title_letter.pdf
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

Did you have to use a Q1 form? Or just a BoS?
        dirty30

Comment

never even heard of a Q1, honestly. I had the BoS
          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Hmmmm..... Well that makes things easier
            dirty30

Comment

The only variation is I purchased it in NY, but I dont think that affects or changes anything
              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Straight up, not a single problem.

All I needed was a BoS and the normal forms. BIKE AND WJ REGGED IN A SINGLE DAY
                dirty30

Comment

Excellent.
                  Amherst or Bust!
                  19 JL

Comment

And to top it off, I got to keep the awesome 1973 Title for the bike, which is cool to have along with the original reg paperwork and receipts from the dealer.
                    dirty30

Comment

Registered my 77 with a bill of sale. No title needed
                      Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                      didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
                      Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
                      he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
                      Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
                      i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

Nice looking DubJAy there fella!
                        -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Wordddddd. It's nice to have something that's comfortable to drive.... although I miss the Saab everyday
                          dirty30

Comment

Working...
                          X