KING OF THE HAMMERS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KING OF THE HAMMERS!

We're alive, back in CT, and I have been driving the Jeep everywhere! The whole time at the race was awesome and we went through some terrible times and some great triumphs. Here are some pictures for you guys all to enjoy who hate facebook.

What an experience. I had hoped for a long time to be at this point, and put in so much work to get to this point with the help of so many great people. To think that just a group of kids could take my parents' Jeep Wrangler that they bought new in 2001 and run it in an incredibly difficult off road race shows that we really have something here. Through all the learning and experimenting we have done, the long and difficult days and nights of working on the cars in the Hack Shack stable, it was all worth it in the end. While there is lots of hard work involved with this affair, we always have a great time doing it. After all it's all about fun in the end. The Hack Shack crew isn't
    done either. We have a lot more set in our sights.
    Our KOH week was awesome and came with its fair share of hardships. It's all about how you handle them and our team was prepared and able to deal with all the difficulties we had. It was our first time running the car in the desert which definitely had a learning curve for the 2 of us. We had never seen woops, and the rock trails in Johnson Valley were definitely tough. We wanted to pre run more than we did, but of course we ended up having fuel delivery problems where the pickups fell off inside the tank. Never once has the jeep had a fuel problem and it showed up at the most opportune time, of course. While dealing with clogged fuel filters we lost pre running time and ended up having to pull the cell apart and construct a new system of lines to hold the walbro filters on. We also had a bump stop wallow out a little, but that wasn't a real big deal. We got to start on race day successfully and cruised through about 99% of the first lap without a hitch
    and only 2 missed turns. Coming up the small hill that drops you down into the finish line the jeep stalled out on right at the top. The fuel pump fuse blew and kept blowing. Weary of our fuel pump being stressed all week we changed that and put a new filter in and were able to get to main pit. A leaking fuel line was repaired there by the crew of Jason Scherer. Casey Scherer headed this crew and they had us out so quickly it was like we actually knew what we were doing! Back onto course and out to pit 2a, no issues and we go for boulderdash. Fuse blows again and we get the thing going again. Not until we go deep into the Wrecking ball trail did we discover the true cause of the fuel issue, a short in the wire somewhere and wired a new wire straight through the cab to the pump. This whole thing cost us about 2 hours of time in all. Once we arrived at Chocolate Thunder at 5:30 we knew we probably would not be able to finish the race especially having arrived at that trail
    with 10+ rec wheelers on live race course. This really killed us, and after clearing chocolate thunder spirits were low and we decided not to press on without rock lights in 3 more tough rock trails. Despite what problems we had most of the stuff on the Jeep held up great. From our Rock Krawler shocks doing beautifully, to our Clayton Off Road control arms and Rugged Radios radio equipment, and even those old sheetmetal 1970s axle housings loaded with Aussie Locker by Torq-Masters Industries that a couple of poor white boys pulled out of the dirt. Who would've thought they'd even make it to the first rock trail in this difficult event! Thanks East Coast Gear Supply and Al for helping us get them race ready!
    We are grateful for how far we have come, to make it to race mile 76. We most definitely brought a fire home with us to finish that race next year. The terrible feeling of not making the cut is something I know all too well from NCAA swimming.
    We will be coming back more prepared, with an improved car, and with a whole different level of motivation.
    I can't begin to thank all the people who have helped Hack Shack Racing along the way from great friends, to sponsors and marketing partners to our families who sacrifice so much. The team could never have made it to where it was without all of you.If there is any chance I have forgotten anyone, tag yourself in the comments.
    Crew and friends:
    Matt DiNicola
    Steve Usher
    Fred
    Dizzy Christopher William
    Phil the Painter Philip Restivo
    Phil Larocca
    Abby Jane
    Harrison H. Hendricks
    Will Gentile
    Nicole Sorrentino
    Jonathan Galica
    John Mackiewicz
    Casey Scherer and crew
    Cora Jokinen
    Erik Jokinen
    Tom Yash
    Adam Rowe
    Jason Kaminsky
    Scott Decker
    And the legendary......VAN
    Sponsors and Partners:
    Aussie Locker by Torq-Masters Industries
    Nitto Tire
    East Coast Gear Supply
    J.W. Speaker Corporation
    Corbeau Seats USA
    HeavyMetalConcepts
    Raceline Wheels
    Rock Krawler Suspension
    TeraFlex Suspensions
    Clayton Off Road
    Rugged Radios
    Factor 55
    Until next year everyone!

Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

You should tell everyone how you got those sick fucking nitto tires and raceline wheels!
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I agree.
      P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
      2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
      OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Basically Will set us up. Chris Corbett from Nitto was in the RV while we were all talking and Will told him he was using us for the movie so he wanted to get the tires onto our Jeep and we weren't saying no. We looked for any wheels we could and finally got some from Raceline who sponsors us already and Dizzy got them mounted the night before while we went into town for fuel and stuff. They are pretty awesome tires compared to MTRs, definitely much grippier. We'll be sticking with them now.

Comment

#TJlifegoals

You guys rock. Pretty amazing that you can race something so difficult and drive the rig to work the next day.

Wish I coulda been there to watch!

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

amazing the progress this jeep has made from the early days when ya had those 33s from me hahaha... and it's even more awesome that ya beat on it and take it to work the next day... good job!!
            99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

Thanks guys. There's more to come too. In the form of an engine and ever progressing suspension tuning and design.

I didn't drive it to work the day it got back, but within a week still counts right? Thing is still dustier than sin on the inside.

Comment

Will can confirm or deny, but last I knew Heavy still had JV dust in places.
                2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                MK2 Jetta > M3
                Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Fairchild View Post
                  Will can confirm or deny, but last I knew Heavy still had JV dust in places.
                  Just vacuumed it out last week. Still there. Shit stays forever.

LOL
                  mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
                  2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
                  and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

My lungs still have Cali dust from 2012
                    P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                    2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                    OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Working...
                    X