Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is America a Police State?

Re: The events in Ferguson, Missouri

At work, so I can't type the whole story out. Google it and any related opinion pieces

Vote accordingly.
    Yes
    66.67%
    No
    33.33%

I super-duper wanted to vote 'no' to this, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

The incident in Missouri is ridiculous. Police who have over-stepped their authority, coupled with a local government that is attempting to confound the issue even further, has made the whole thing a debacle.

That said, cops will always be different depending on the area. Some truly just want to uphold peace and justice, and aren't ego-driven bullies hiding behind their fraternity.

I.E., in Middlebury, I feel perfectly comfortable walking into the police station to ask a question, and would never feel like I'm getting hassled.

One town over (Southbury), and I can't even ride a moped to work without getting pulled over and harassed by officers who have no knowledge of the law.

In summation: I didn't want to answer yes to this, as I really think most cops I've dealt with are truly there to help. But, in reality, it sucks to know that they really do have an insane amount of power in each community.
    dirty30

Comment

Pretty agreeable post here for me. I will probably expand later when I am home

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
      I super-duper wanted to vote 'no' to this, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

The incident in Missouri is ridiculous. Police who have over-stepped their authority, coupled with a local government that is attempting to confound the issue even further, has made the whole thing a debacle.

That said, cops will always be different depending on the area. Some truly just want to uphold peace and justice, and aren't ego-driven bullies hiding behind their fraternity.

I.E., in Middlebury, I feel perfectly comfortable walking into the police station to ask a question, and would never feel like I'm getting hassled.

One town over (Southbury), and I can't even ride a moped to work without getting pulled over and harassed by officers who have no knowledge of the law.

In summation: I didn't want to answer yes to this, as I really think most cops I've dealt with are truly there to help. But, in reality, it sucks to know that they really do have an insane amount of power in each community.
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

Relative side topic: store Owners defending their shops from getting ransacked with A.R. 15's + bulletproof vest in Ferg.

there are places like the town that I live in which is the county seat, where the police chief said that he will not uphold any laws that limit firearms aka registration, limited mags, limiting concealed carry permits

Police exist to protect us, but carry guns only to protect themselves.

Comment

Asian Mike, hippie metal, Hydra, lilnapsak, Luke95, Riot, Zullock Holmes

Why

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
            Asian Mike, hippie metal, Hydra, lilnapsak, Luke95, Riot, Zullock Holmes

Why
            Because Facebook and the Internet says it is maybe?

Comment

I feel I explained myself in a roundabout way, but I guess I'll ebolarate with an anecdote.

I got pulled over doing 30 mph (in a 30) on Main St. in Southbury, the other day while riding home on my ped.

The state trooper pulled me over to which I complied instantly. Gets out and asks, "What do you think you're doing." To which I reply, "Driving home after a day of work."

He goes on to explain to me that my moped is classified as a "motor-assisted bicycle," and that it must be operated as far to the right of the lane as possible, not with traffic, and also cannot exceed 30 mph.

Well, in my head I know that CT Statute 14-286 was amended as of OCtober 2008, which renamed anything previously labelled as a "motor-assisted bicycle" as a "motor-driven cycle." The old law also stated that the vehicle must a) not go more than 30 mph, b)must have an automatic transmission, and c) may not exceed 49cc. It also stated that operating on the right of the lane was required.

The new rendition of the law states the only requirements to be a legal "motor-driven cycle" are a) a seat height of 26 inches or more and b) less than 5 bhp. The law also states that if I am able to drive at the speed limit of the road, I am legally allowed to travel with traffic.

To me, this is scary for a few reasons. One, the officer (an older state trooper) was completely ignorant of the law and threatened to ticket me with "Misuse of Highway." This ticket would have caused my license to be suspended for a month. There would have been no recourse for me to get my license back for the month until the hearing.

Two, is if he wanted to, he could have just taken the bike and impounded it, and there would be no way to ever get it back. There's no registration, no insurance, no title. He could easily have just said fuck you and taken it. In NYC it happens to guys from CT alot, because by law CT residents cannot be forced to register an out of state vehicle for a temporary visit. Just like, you don't have to change your insurance plans to meet each state's required minimum.

That said, NYC cops will just impound your bike and you'll never see it again. This is a very mopeds-specific incident but you get my drift.

Same thing happened last year, with three cop cars pulling me and a buddy over and detaining us for 50 mins while they checked the VINs (all under 10 digits and invalid because they have never been reg'd), stating "There's been alot of these stolen around here lately."

There is no second opinion, no phoning an officer friend, and no 50/50. If the officer you're dealing with is an ignoramus, you can get hosed. The people trusted with enforcing law, should be required to know it.
              dirty30

Comment

What's going on down in Ferguson is the exception to the rule in my eye, but I may just be ignorant. I've not had a lot of run-ins with the law and the ones that I have had have turned out fine. On the moped/motorized bicycle side of things I actually keep a copy of the current law under the seat of my bikes just in case I do get pulled and they do not know the current laws. I've had 2 different bikes that I've put motors on and now ride a 110cc/4spd semi-auto moped and haven't been stopped yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                  I feel I explained myself in a roundabout way, but I guess I'll ebolarate with an anecdote.
                  You were unintentionally included in the copy/paste, but your anecdote enhances the thread

Comment

the moped thing isn't really police state related is it? that's been happening since there have been police or people in similar rolls, either going off what they were taught years ago, another buddy cop told them that or are just being flat out dicks. that won't ever change, how you handle them can, do you carry a copy of the new law with you to show the officer? i have a binder of gun related laws i bring when i cross state lines on my way to NH or VT with all kinds of scary shit in my car. So this way if a mass LEO of some type pulls me over and i tell him what's in my car i have some decent proof if you will that it's all legit and legal.

as for the police state stuff this new growing trend of it's always the cops fault is retarded, everyone's always talking about how the cops didn't need to do this or the cops should have done that. mean while no one ever says the person they arrested or shot or tasered shouldn't have been doing what ever they were doing. play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                      You were unintentionally included in the copy/paste, but your anecdote enhances the thread
                      enhance.

enhance

enhance
                      dirty30

Comment

Sardo, I do have a copy in there now.

But I shouldn't have to get hasselled by the cops just to get to work, that is their job to uphold the law, and if their understanding of said law is comprised of outdated or hearsay information, then why aren't they trained otherwise.

In terms of the actual case that was the cause of this thread, the cop did fuck up when he shot the kid. But, the kid fucked up when he fought a police officer. It just blows that the officer isn't taking/being handed/being shielded from responsibility for his actions.
                        dirty30

Comment

How do you know he fucked up when he shot the kid?

Comment

Because he shot a kid.
                            dirty30

Comment

So far in this case we have only been provided the information the liberal media wants us to have. It's much like the white guy last year that shot the teen with the hoodie. The media turns it into a black/white thing and goes after the police and tries to persuade the public to that view.

This kid may have been unarmed, but did the officer fear for his own life or safety? That is what is in question and the media doesn't want us to know those circumstances. Eventually it will come out, but it amazes me that somebody gets shot and that's a reason to loot your own town, break into the local stores and screw with your neighbors. I just don't understand that mindset at all. They can ask for justice, but breaking laws to make a point doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X