No announcement yet.

The Truck is on Death Row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want me to swap the motor for you lol?
    Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by DizzDizz View Post
      You want me to swap the motor for you lol?
      Honestly? Im kinda on the fence about it.

My parents have basically written the truck off, which means a 'new' used car for me. And since ive been pushing FOREVER for a Jeep, I probably can get one out of this whole fiasco. But they may go for something else.

So im stuck between getting someone I know to swap the motor for a SHITLOAD less than the shop wants, or having a shot at finally getting a jeep.

Thank you for the offer though Dizz, I will keep that in mind.
      Amherst or Bust!
      19 JL

Comment

I hate you, Phil.
        Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

I was about five minutes from pulling the trigger on a 2002 TJ with 160k on it for 9,000 that was MINT, only slight rust, nothing major on the frame where the body bolts on. Even test drove it.

Decided to play the field for a bit, dealer basically said all it would take is a phone call to have it saved for me.
          Amherst or Bust!
          19 JL

Comment

make sure you get the Suge Knight edition so you can still be on death row.
            1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
            1999 sierra
            1967 M725 Big and Slow
            -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Riot View Post
              I hate you, Phil.
              sigpic
              Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
                make sure you get the Suge Knight edition so you can still be on death row.
                As long as its not death wobble...
                Amherst or Bust!
                19 JL

Comment

Odin, can't you get a used motor somewhere and pull the swap? Those Dakotas aren't the most complicated. Someone around here must have a shop, no?
                  -Doug

Used to wheel.... now..... not so much....

Comment

Originally posted by Mangi Hill View Post
                    Odin, can't you get a used motor somewhere and pull the swap? Those Dakotas aren't the most complicated. Someone around here must have a shop, no?
                    Stop trying to convince him to save a 2wd truck.
                    sigpic
                    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Ha. It's his baby, we all know how it feels when your baby dies.... Just saying he shouldn't give up on her.
                      -Doug

Used to wheel.... now..... not so much....

Comment

Originally posted by Mangi Hill View Post
                        Ha. It's his baby, we all know how it feels when your baby dies.... Just saying he shouldn't give up on her.
                        Its my baby ive been attempting to give up for adoption for 12 years.

It was/is my first car, so yes, I will miss it. But getting a Jeep instead is QUITE the consolation.
                        Amherst or Bust!
                        19 JL

Comment

Originally posted by Odinthor View Post
                          Its auto, and we had taken it to Meineke for the estimates, so they're the ones who gave us those figures.

2250 for 'parts' on the Used, 2200 for labor
                          3933 for 'pats' on the New, and same 2200 for labor

And Will, screw you You know what I meant; I found Grand Cherokees in 2000-2002 year range.
                          Meineke you have to be joking...
                          Why would you every even think to go to a shop like that?

Before you go any further how do you know you need crank bearings?
                          I wouldn't trust their diagnostics at all.
                          Rod bearings would make more sense.
                          Do you have a wicked deep sounding knock?

Just out of curiosity I looked the job up.

You mean V6 3.9L?
                          There are about 10 engines in CT for $500.

And alldata says pays around 11-16hrs depending how much you need to swap.

So Meineke wants to make $1700 on the engine and charge you $200/hr.
                          I understand you will be charged for coolant oil, and anything else you might want to change, plugs wires belts water pump while its easy.

You need to find a new shop.

Do it yourself and it will only cost $500 or find a backyard mechanic.

You can try getting a quote from the shop I work at.
                          Imported Automotive 8 Brock St Trumbull 06611 203-445-0277

Plus you can change the bearings in the truck just by dropping the oil pan.
                          I don't know how hard that is in that truck. But with some 4x4 it is hard to get the pan out.

If you're going to swap the motor it doesn't matter if you keep driving it until it blows.

I would at least bring it down to my shop we will be there late tonight.

~Justin
                          RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                          www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                          Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                            Meineke you have to be joking...
                            Why would you every even think to go to a shop like that?

Before you go any further how do you know you need crank bearings?
                            I wouldn't trust their diagnostics at all.
                            Rod bearings would make more sense.
                            Do you have a wicked deep sounding knock?

Just out of curiosity I looked the job up.

You mean V6 3.9L?
                            There are about 10 engines in CT for $500.

And alldata says pays around 11-16hrs depending how much you need to swap.

So Meineke wants to make $1700 on the engine and charge you $200/hr.
                            I understand you will be charged for coolant oil, and anything else you might want to change, plugs wires belts water pump while its easy.

You need to find a new shop.

Do it yourself and it will only cost $500 or find a backyard mechanic.

You can try getting a quote from the shop I work at.
                            Imported Automotive 8 Brock St Trumbull 06611 203-445-0277

Plus you can change the bearings in the truck just by dropping the oil pan.
                            I don't know how hard that is in that truck. But with some 4x4 it is hard to get the pan out.

If you're going to swap the motor it doesn't matter if you keep driving it until it blows.

I would at least bring it down to my shop we will be there late tonight.

~Justin
                            Big post is big. Thanks for your concern though Justin.

The only reason it went to meineke was to get an estimate for the front passenger ball joint, as well as the exhaust system under the frame (the hangers were mostly rotted/gone) and an estimate for a new exhaust manifold. Normally we take it to Goodyear in Fairfield, which we have dealt with for YEARS and have never had a problem with. We were just shopping around for estimates when they told us about the crank bearings.

With that 'new engine' estimate in hand, we then took it back to Goodyear, who have never tried to fuck us over, and THEY confirmed it as well. So we started looking at replacement vehicles.

My father and I have absolutely no means to swap out an engine ourselves, so we would end up having to pay someone to do it. Even with an engine at $500, if you throw in the labor of paying someone else to do it, PLUS the ball joints, exhaust hangers and manifold, it becomes more costly to fix it than the truck is worth in terms of a trade in. (Best offer we got for a trade-in was $1500)

Either way, the truck was/is 2WD. Ive wanted a jeep for the last 12 years. This is my opportunity to get one.

We've done all the paperwork and stuff, just waiting on final confirmation from the bank for the loan. So again, thanks for your input Justin, I do appreciate it.
                            Amherst or Bust!
                            19 JL

Comment

2wd then drop the pan and install new bearings. worth a shot for $60 and a couple hours

Does it have good oil pressure?
                              RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                              www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                              Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Working...
                              X