Jeep Inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep Inquiry

So, Matt and I passed a jeep for sale and it looked pretty minty and had a $3,000 price tag on it.

Tonight, Phil and I went and took a look at it. It was dark, but this thing looked pretty minty fresh from the outside. It had a RE lift on it, it appeared to be about 3" and new tires. I called, and a small sounding Hispanic woman proceeded to ask me if I knew about Jeeps... Figuring I know more than the average Spanish woman off the street in a Cherokee, I told her I know a fair amount. She said, "then you know the motor is super strong. People get scared when I tell them it's 215k miles."

So, I texted her back and asked the year, it's a
    "1998. The best!!" she said. Supposedly, nothing is wrong with and I will see her car is the best car!

But seriously, Can I get some honest opinions at the price point to mileage point. That's obviously not low. Phil suggested I ask the forum.
    Is it egg nog season yet?

i paid less for my 2000 with 175k, not much less, but just a reference point.

i'd pay 2500 tops for something like that. i would consider the lift a decrease in value as well personally (got to love off road resale).

for a jeep old enough to have its own drivers license, and 9 trips around the globe, i think 2500 is a fair offer....assuming mechanically it doesnt raise eyebrows.

What tires?
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Agreed about the lift decreasing value. It really doesn't look like it ever saw anything beyond the mean streets of Westport though. Mechanically, I haven't test driven it yet or anything. As stated above Phil is going to give it a look during the day late today because it's super local for bim, but it looked like the worst damage was a fairly small dent above the the rocker, otherwise, saw no issue.

If it passes Phils visual inspection, I'll set up a test drive with her... then in true scrub life spirit, low ball her with cash waving in the breeze.. that mileage does scare me a bit.

I am not sure what tires, but they did look pretty new. Probably around 30"-31" nothing aggressive enough to stand out.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

I think I paid $3200 for my 99 back in 08 with 140k on it. Andrew struggled to sell his 98? with brand new lift, other new parts, and good 31" BFGs with 240k for $1500.

I wouldn't pay over 2k. If it's that clean, 2500.
        P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
        2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
        OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Noted.
          I was curious, likely will stray away from that mileage.

Thanks guys!

Comment

I wouldn't have any issue buying a jeep with that mileage. That being said, I wouldn't pay 3k for one at that mileage.
            1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
            1999 sierra
            1967 M725 Big and Slow
            -Dan

Comment

I personally would not spend more than $2k for anything with over 200k miles, and that's pushing it.
              No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

i agree with everyone. when you go look at it get underneath and inspect every inch for rust. if it's that clean and mechanically well kept then i'd say 2500 max. i've had 5 xj's and an mj that were all under $1900 just for perspective. the closest to compare would have been my white 99. it had 218k and was in mint condition, paid $1600. if the lift and tires are good and it saves you from doing it then paying a bit more to get something finished wouldn't be out of the question
                Last edited by Burton58; 04-12-2014, 05:29 PM.
                I drive a Datsun

Comment

I just sold my 99 which was clean as a whistle underneath with 250k for 1800 bucks. It was tough getting more than that. and I had just done a lot of work to it and the lift was less than a year old and the tires were pretty good. I paid 1200 for it

I wouldn't pay over 2k for it

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

i paid:

$1800 for my 1999 cherokee limited with 130k
                    $640 for my 2000 cherokee sport with 180k
                    Last edited by Lumbergh; 04-13-2014, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I didnt intend to pay the asking price by any means with those miles, but I did need some price point advice. This thread proved helpful.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Lumbergh View Post
                        i paid:

$1800 for my 1999 cherokee limited with 130k
                        $640 for my 2000 cherokee sport with 180k
                        i would consider this vastly unrealistic and anecdotal
                        - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                        or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                        Originally posted by DizzDizz
                        aliens probed my husband

Comment

I sold Caleb my 99 with 215k ish on it for like $1500 I think it was. I would never pay $3k for that.

Comment

Ive been emailing CraigsListers too.
                            Last edited by Riot; 04-14-2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

http://bargainnews.com/viewad.cfm?Sh...TheDealer=2485

Feelings on an 1989?

Comment

Working...
                              X