Fakin' It: Alumaweld/Alumarod/Durafix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fakin' It: Alumaweld/Alumarod/Durafix

So I need to do some aluminum welding/filling and to be perfectly honest, I don't feel like investing in an aluminum setup for my miller and don't feel like paying anyone to do it.

Has anyone used Alumaweld/Alumarod/Durafix? I know, it seems gimmicky and may be a lazy, half-ased attempt at welding, but I'm really not looking to send this project into orbit.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. I mean, I'll probably still order it and try it out, but yous guys opinions matter
    dirty30

Have you tried duct tape?
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

No, that's for NASCAR posers.

I plan on using it to build up the material on a moped case. The "weld" will only be used to create a seal surface around the ports. As in no structural load, just being squeezed against a gasket.
      dirty30

Comment

jb weld?

Comment

I used JB weld to seal a hole I poked in a trans cooler. Couple years ago, so far so good. I believe it was aluminum for what its worth
          97 XJ.

Comment

Ive also used aluminum JB weld to fix a case before. Thats how I'd do it.
            "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
            It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Alrighty, I just thought I'd try something not so dubious.

The other problem is I gotta be able to machine this flush with the current seat. The cylinder kit I'm putting on this bike has super huge transfers into the cylinder, so this has to be flush and potentially fuel/oil resistant-proof.

Also, I'd prefer it not to look like the goobers
              dirty30

Comment

I have a tig and have been doing a good amount of aluminum.

What do you need done? I don't mind doing small things for a 6 pack of good beer.
                No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Hmmmm. I'll have to get some pictures when I get home from work. It's hard to explain without using potentially indecipherable jargon.

Really it's just filling in material in an alu case, so that I can take it away. No actuall welding two pieces together.
                  dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Zullock Holmes View Post
                    I have a tig and have been doing a good amount of aluminum.

What do you need done? I don't mind doing small things for a 6 pack of good beer.

best way to go, jb weld never lasts forever

Comment

Working...
                    X