And I'm sucked back in....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And I'm sucked back in....

After looking at a bunch of vehicles to retire my Saab, whose particular vintage is giving me sour grapes (get it!), I think I will once again ruin my life with a jeep.

Was considering getting a wagon of some sort (Saab, Subaru, Volvo) but in all honesty, I miss having a vehicle I can work on without putting jackstands under or removing a bajillion covers off the engine.

I'm looking at getting a WJ. The XJ chassis just has too many flaws I am already too well versed in (I'd rather unwittingly find out these fatal misgivings from a point of ignorance than walk into them knowingly).

What are some points that I'm looking for outside the usual?

Motoro: I'm shooting for a 4.0, as I like the motor and know it super well.

Trans: I don't believe there's any real difference.

XCase: no idea on this one, I guess I don't care as long as it's not a time bomb.

Low(er) mileage, bonus. I don't care if it's a D35 or D44a as this won't really see heavy trail usage. At most I'd like to just have something to hit the woods with. Oh, and I have a d44 i guess that could go in it anyways.

I had a clear focus for this when I started, but I'm in between a dozen different projects at work and I've now forgotten why this is a post at all.

What say you?

Signed,
    dirty30

Sad to hear the saab is on its way out

Good luck on your journey of discovery into WJs

Comment

for simplicity sake, get the least amount of options as possible. plus the jeep will be cheaper. 4.0 with the 242 case and you'll be all good. your d44 will not be wide enough however. heated seats and auto climate control have issues but if you don't get those options i don't see you having many issues
      I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
        Sad to hear the saab is on its way out

Good luck on your journey of discovery into WJs
        It is sad. The car will probably remain a spare vehicle, but at 275,000 miles it's not long for this world and my commute is short but I have to be there. Tis a big boy job.
        dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
          for simplicity sake, get the least amount of options as possible. plus the jeep will be cheaper. 4.0 with the 242 case and you'll be all good. your d44 will not be wide enough however. heated seats and auto climate control have issues but if you don't get those options i don't see you having many issues
          242 is the non AWD case right? I know the ZJ AWD cases had bad viscous couplers, same issue?

It'd be nice to keep heated seats, but i suppose unplugging them would work if they're gonna burn my ride down.

I've had nothing but issues with my Saabs ACC, I will avoid that like the plague.
          dirty30

Comment

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np242.htm
            2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
            1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

And I'm sucked back in....

Your d44 is out of an XJ right? It'll be too narrow. You'd have to make some sort of upper a-arm truss, the WJs have a single upper arm instead of the setup that was used on TJs/ZJs.

Sent from my pay phone in Chechnya
              2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
              MK2 Jetta > M3
              Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                242 is the non AWD case right? I know the ZJ AWD cases had bad viscous couplers, same issue?

It'd be nice to keep heated seats, but i suppose unplugging them would work if they're gonna burn my ride down.

I've had nothing but issues with my Saabs ACC, I will avoid that like the plague.
                242 has 2wd, 4wd part and full time and 4 low. the 249? case has no 2wd option. worse case and worse gas mileage
                I drive a Datsun

Comment

nicole has heated seats with no problems

dont listen to the Patrono Lemon Law
                  - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                  or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                  Originally posted by DizzDizz
                  aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                    nicole has heated seats with no problems

dont listen to the Patrono Lemon Law
                    hey i'm trying to be helpful this time. most work fine and mopar even offers a repair kit for them. but for dillons needs for a reliable jeep a bare bones model would be best. i'm also trying to convince myself that another wj is a good option
                    I drive a Datsun

Comment

I wouldn't mind either way, my heated saab drivers seat don't work anyways... in fact the heat barely works.

Is the 249 really that terrible? The few I've found seem to have that case. The mileage may be worse, but I'd be more worried about durability.

Y'all have seen my driveway, it's like a backroad in bangladesh. I can for certain say it is the reason no car (as in not SUV/truck) lasts in my hands. It'd be nice to not have to worry about the t-case kersploding while I'm romping up it in the snow/muddy season
                      dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                        I wouldn't mind either way, my heated saab drivers seat don't work anyways... in fact the heat barely works.

Is the 249 really that terrible? The few I've found seem to have that case. The mileage may be worse, but I'd be more worried about durability.

Y'all have seen my driveway, it's like a backroad in bangladesh. I can for certain say it is the reason no car (as in not SUV/truck) lasts in my hands. It'd be nice to not have to worry about the t-case kersploding while I'm romping up it in the snow/muddy season
                        in all likelihood you won't have a problem with the case. is the 242 less sensitive to issues? yes
                        I drive a Datsun

Comment

i <3 my WJ. she's the best

she still keeps my butt warm and she's a 2004 with 130k on it now.
                          mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
                          2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
                          and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Sweeeeeet.

I found an 04, 6 miles from my house, 48k miles, I6, 242.

Only negative is it has cloth seats and I kinda wanted leather... oh well. It'd be super swell to have something that has that little mileage on it.
                            dirty30

Comment

I love my heated seat in my 05 WK
                              Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

Working...
                              X