Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic vs modern cars

What would you rather drive?
    I've never driven anything newer then 20rs old as my personal car.
    1st car was a 71 mustang grande, shit brown and a beater but I loved that car.
    Then I had a 69 Austin sprite , a 89 range rover, an 88 coupe deVille, and now my 84 cherokee. I just can't put aside how easy it is to work on and drive older cars, how inexpensive it is to maintain and insure them. And they actually still have identity and character.
    I don't count my sejour in France where I drove a Peugeot 207, a Renault avantime, and a Alfa giulietta, although they are all awesome and interesting cars.

What are your opinions on older cars compared to new ones?
    If you drive by something rusting in a field do you write it off as scrap or still see the potential?

Apples and oranges. With the exception of fully restored cars each are a tool for a different purpose. As much as I love older cars, modern cars have a comfort aspect and quiet factor that is needed for long drives or shitty days.
    Don't Panic

Comment

Depends on the car. Lots of nice classics and lots of nice newer cars.
      sigpic
      Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I've grown to love driving new cars daily. Comfort and ease. I actually hate driving the xj now. Don't get me wrong, if I could have an old muscle car or truck I would in a heartbeat but it wouldnt be a daily driver.
        I drive a Datsun

Comment

As much as I love my TJ and hate the JK's... they do make sense. The short wheel base, stiff suspension, and overall loudness can be exhausting over time.
          Don't Panic

Comment

Originally posted by Calabrate2 View Post
            As much as I love my TJ and hate the JK's... they do make sense. The short wheel base, stiff suspension, and overall loudness can be exhausting over time.
            i've always hated driving wranglers but after some time behind the wheel of a 4 door JK, they are very comfortable for day to day
            I drive a Datsun

Comment

I just cant bring myself to spend that much on a newer car, thatll cost more to repair and to mantain.
              My caddy was just as nice if not nicer then any modern car, and had just as many gadgets if not more haha. you could go 85+ (speedo only went to 85) and it felt no different then crawling through a parking lot. and it got 27 to the gallon xD.
              Thats another thing that bothers me about newer cars. they suck gas like its their job, wether its an econobox or a superduty. My austin healey got better then 70mpg, was built in 69 and cost me probably 1/50th of what it cost to buy and mantain a prius, that would stop working in 2 years.
              bringing me to my next point, in that they dont make em like they used to. theres even a noticible difference in build quality between my 84 cherokee and those of people i know, and theyre suposed to be the same car! i just cant see the point of buying a vehicle that is pretty much guaranteed to die within 10 years.

Comment

buy retro-modern
                - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                Originally posted by DizzDizz
                aliens probed my husband

Comment

If a modern car existed that was actually worth the 40ish grand for something decent i would buy it. as it stands theres nothing. Someone make a car that has all the creature comforts of modernity with the beef of antiquity.

Comment

Originally posted by WarGin View Post
                    If a modern car existed that was actually worth the 40ish grand for something decent i would buy it. as it stands theres nothing. Someone make a car that has all the creature comforts of modernity with the beef of antiquity.
                    I just bought a '13 mustang thats worth 40 new that has leather, heated seats, all the other nonsense (sync, beefy stereo, blah blah) and it has solid rear 8.8 axle with 420hp stock.
                    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                    Originally posted by DizzDizz
                    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Buying my optima was the best purchase I ever made. Comfy, fast, good mileage, and awesome features and comforts. Heated front and rear seats, cooled front seats, leather, dual sunroof, satellite radio, aux/USB/Bluetooth, etc. 100k warranty too all for $21k. I love my jeep and older cars too, but it's extremely rare to find them with no problems or ones that won't have problems. Just because they "don't make em like they usedta" doesn't mean they dont break.
                      P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                      2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                      OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Cars are lame.

I RIDE BILLY GOATS
                        dirty30

Comment

After the mix of modern and old cars I've owned and driven, I'd prefer modern for sure. Conveniences are nice and especially in the stereo/ipod department with new cars. I'm a big tunes guy. Call me a gluten for punishment, but I daily an 06 rubicon, and my toy is an 86 trans am. Pretty sure the trans am drives better than the jeep, but whatever lol. I have a short commute to work and the summer awesomeness in the jeep is unmatched.
                          2006 Rubicon - high rock bumper, warn 9.5ti, and lots of stockness....for now...

Comment

Basically what Patrono said. If its a car I have to drive every day id prefer a modern car. But I do love classics and absolutely want to own one one day.
                            mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
                            2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
                            and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

I drive what i can afford, and right now, it isn't a $40,000 AUTOMATIC mustang.
                              Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

Working...
                              X