Winter Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Sports

Do you ski, snowboard, or something else?

What is the best place you have been to ski/snowboard/or something else?

I was just up at Stowe this passed weekend through this arctic blast and had an awesome time. The place was empty, snow was fresh and not covering ice, and the runs were longer than I expected by just looking at the trail map. The terrain reminded me of some Tahoe spots from last year while the snow was very much of the NE variety.

So far, I have ridden most of the NE big names and small names but like Killington the best because of the vastness and little hidden spots to find fresh runs. I have not been to Jay yet and have that on the top of my list of the next NE spot to hit this year. As for West of here, Aspen and N. California are on my bedpost. Highlands and Snowmass in Aspen, and Squaw, Alpine Meadows, Heavenly, and Kirkwood at Tahoe. If you have the chance to check them out, do it. Highlands has unreal views of the Maroon Bells and the back range, Kirkwood is off mainstream Tahoe so it is usually empty while getting huge powder dumps regularly. Heavenly is cool but gets crowded; you can ride between Nevada and California on the same trail since the border splits the mountain in half. Utah is planned for March 1-5, which is a new spot for myself but frequented by the group I ride with.

Hunter is my local go to because it is only 1:45 from my door and I have this discount card that drops the ticket 25-50% depending on weekend or weekday riding.

my favorite winter sport is called sitting on the couch under blankets

i am not a cold weather person. i have gone skiing/snowboarding a few times, years and years ago, but i'm not very good at it.

will & i went up to stowe last winter for a few days, really pretty area and lots of good food! we felt sort of out of place because we were like the only ones not skiing but we still had a good time.

have you been to park city? one of the most beautiful places i've been to. if i was a skier i'd love to go back
    mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
    2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
    and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

I was supposed to go to Stowe this week, but had too much going on. I think I'm going to Jay like the first week of April. I grew up on that mountain. I love it there. Not to mention they now have a water park with a bar in it, which is way more fun than I expected it to be.
      "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
      It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

I was at Stratton on Sunday! Maybe going to Snow on this Sunday
        -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawn Guyland View Post
          my favorite winter sport is called sitting on the couch under blankets

i am not a cold weather person. i have gone skiing/snowboarding a few times, years and years ago, but i'm not very good at it.

will & i went up to stowe last winter for a few days, really pretty area and lots of good food! we felt sort of out of place because we were like the only ones not skiing but we still had a good time.

have you been to park city? one of the most beautiful places i've been to. if i was a skier i'd love to go back
          Never been out to Utah and not sure where we are riding. I left it up to the guys who have been there before to figure that out.

Comment

Pond hockey. I have played hockey my whole life and pond hockey is by far my most favorite thing to do during the winter. I usually go to a pond in Branford with my buddies. Or I load up the jeep and go toa remote pond in the woods via some trails.
            Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

I grew up ski racing. Don't do it anymore, but it sure does make you a good skier! I've dabbled in snow boarding, but just ski these days. I like carving on groomers as much as flying through trees or floating over powder.

I've been out to Summit County in CO a couple times. Vail is just so ridiculously big, it amazes me every time. Arrapahoe Basin is much smaller, but I love the non-commercial feel to it. Also been to Jackson Hole, the back country stuff there was amazing. Runs take an hour by the time you find your way down. Would like to get to UT next.

I've been to Killington, Mt Sunapee, Attitash, Bear Mt, and a few places in the ADKs. I'd like to get around to some more places in VT/NH/ME. Best skiing I've done by far is out west though. Never ice on the groomers, no stumps and rocks sticking through in the trees, feet of powder.

Oh and snow wheeling. I love snow wheeling. Though I haven't done it in a couple years, and it's not looking good for this year either.

I don't love single digit temps, but I do generally love snow.
              97 XJ.

Comment

Whelp, based on my user name i snowboard as well as hike in winter, XC ski, just studded my MTB and realllly want to get a snowmobile. i just moved to ME from NY for the freedom of outdoor adventures. my mother was a junior olympic skier and traveled all over the world for it. she lived in Jackson, WY then owned a restaurant in Park City, UT with my father. am i qualified?

anywho, sadly i've never been off the east coast but have hit most of the mountains up here. the best i can remember was white face after 3 feet of powder one night, which is rare and also back country riding tuckerman ravine on Mt Washinton. the latter will become a regular as i now live hour and a half from there
                I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                  Whelp, based on my user name i snowboard as well as hike in winter, XC ski, just studded my MTB and realllly want to get a snowmobile. i just moved to ME from NY for the freedom of outdoor adventures. my mother was a junior olympic skier and traveled all over the world for it. she lived in Jackson, WY then owned a restaurant in Park City, UT with my father. am i qualified?

anywho, sadly i've never been off the east coast but have hit most of the mountains up here. the best i can remember was white face after 3 feet of powder one night, which is rare and also back country riding tuckerman ravine on Mt Washinton. the latter will become a regular as i now live hour and a half from there
                  Most of my buddy's have been to Tucks before, I haven't yet. Although it is on my list for the end of this season. Any special precautions to consider before going up there you wish you did before you went?

Comment

Really just be prepared to layer. It could be -30 up there or 40. Generally later in the season is better, march-April for hitting the ravine though there is a fine line between avalanche conditions and it being all ice. Just check the reports daily before hitting the ravine
                    I drive a Datsun

Comment

I was up at Killington this past weekend, but you can find me at the bar, not on the slopes...

I skied a couple times when I was little and did well, just didn't have the parental engagement to keep me going. I figured I'll eventually get back into it now that I'm older. I also love the cold.
                      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

sigpic
                        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                          hide inside and contemplate moving to florida?
                          I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                            hide inside and contemplate moving to florida?
                            Hide inside, sometimes contemplate moving elsewhere, or else machining stuff and playing video games.

No winter sports for me! Fuck the snow and fuck the cold!
                            sigpic
                            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Rode 500 miles this past weekend
                              95 xj JY 3" 35" truxus mt's

Comment

Working...
                              X