DD Mod questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD Mod questions

I'm going to look at a 7.3 IDI F250 supercab long bed. IS their any major things to look for besides the normal rot and other issues with a 92 truck?
    Not really a ford guy so I wouldn't know. I know its a solid axle truck with the tow package, I'm guessing it will be a bitch at speed with the factory sized tires and 4:10s. It is an auto truck, so that raises the question of how bad are the trannys? The truck has 180K on it. I know it isn't the most practical rig. But it is diesel, has a bed, hitch, 4x4, and a decent cab.
    I can drive the cummins a lot but I don't like having to ask every time I want it and having to deal with the issues that go along with it.
    Not the cleanest truck. It has some minor body damage from a trailer getting away from it. The rims need to go. It needs tires and rims. I am thinking it could be a nice ride for not to much $$$. I just need something to drive that isnt my jeep.
    OER The bad judgment Olympics.

Lowlife 35x12.5s on 3 inches of lift.
    General Tires are

If all you need is something to drive besides your Jeep, buy a Honda or something.

IDIs are not power crazy machines, but are an all mechanical operation like 12v Cummins. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I occasionally peruse oilburners.net and it seems there is a niche group that absolutely loves them. I'd head over there if you have specific questions.

I would not plan on a 1992 truck that looks like its been sitting to be a cheap means of transportation. At all.
    97 XJ.

Comment

First things first, go to Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum or another diesel forum and start reading.

If its the original front axle it will be a ttb, not a solid axle. Unless someone swapped it. The ball joints tend to wear out on the ttb.
      Also check when the glow plugs were changed and that they are motorcraft, not shitty ones like autolite.
      I assume its running, but if i were you id want to see it cold start before buying it. You mentioned something about borrowing a cummins, these two really cant be compared.
      Unless it was abused the transmission should be fine. There are 2 different ones it could be, c6 or EO4D, both arn't bad.

If your looking for this as a dd, good luck. Its gonna be a project and only going to get 15 mpg.

I dont think "bitch at speed" has any relevancy when talking about an old diesel truck. Fast wasn't in the designers vocabulary. My 94 f350 turbo idi will cruise at 60-70 and get there pretty quickly.

Comment

make sure it runs........ thats what i always look for
        -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
        -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
        -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
        -57 GMC Pickup
        -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee-at-16 View Post
          First things first, go to Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum or another diesel forum and start reading.

If its the original front axle it will be a ttb, not a solid axle. Unless someone swapped it. The ball joints tend to wear out on the ttb.
          Also check when the glow plugs were changed and that they are motorcraft, not shitty ones like autolite.
          I assume its running, but if i were you id want to see it cold start before buying it. You mentioned something about borrowing a cummins, these two really cant be compared.
          Unless it was abused the transmission should be fine. There are 2 different ones it could be, c6 or EO4D, both arn't bad.

If your looking for this as a dd, good luck. Its gonna be a project and only going to get 15 mpg.

I dont think "bitch at speed" has any relevancy when talking about an old diesel truck. Fast wasn't in the designers vocabulary. My 94 f350 turbo idi will cruise at 60-70 and get there pretty quickly.
          My dads truck that I maintain and was driving is a 2500 Cummins. I know it wont be comparable. I am going to look at as if it was a hunk of shit and I will see how it runs. I don't plan on buying it unless it screams that it runs happy.

Thanks for the info on the transmissions I know of the C6 being pretty tough. The bitch at speed was about the rpms my aunts old IDI with 4:10s was around 2700 hundred at 75.
          I will take pics of it when I go today to look at it.
          Im looking for something to drive that isnt lame as shit and meets what im saying. Id go cummins off the bat but they are fucking expensive! I know why they are but it still sucks.

General Tires are

Comment

Originally posted by CntStpTheStnk06 View Post
            make sure it runs........ thats what i always look for
            This guy is on to something
            Hench

ATM anyone?

Comment

I dunno what you are paying or your price range but i would look for a 94-98.5 12 valve cummins. Easy as hell to turn up and will get good mileage. my 94 5 speed used to get 20mpg. not to mention a lot more reliable. i was never a fan of the TTB or the IDI diesels

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                I dunno what you are paying or your price range but i would look for a 94-98.5 12 valve cummins. Easy as hell to turn up and will get good mileage. my 94 5 speed used to get 20mpg. not to mention a lot more reliable. i was never a fan of the TTB or the IDI diesels
                Um yeah.
                That truck was bad. Like fucking bad. Advertised as ready to run, wouldn't crank over at all. If it was as I was told a solid axle truck that would have been a plus. If It had a hitch that would have been a plus.

Price range is 3kish prefered.
                I loved the first gen my dad had. He got 220k out of it before it was totaled. That thing was a beast in the snow! He has a 2nd gen 24 valve at the moment with 358K. I have had great experience with it but.... With my price range I am in the 7.tree IDI or 6.5 diesel. I dont like the 6.5s.

General Tires are

Comment

If you need a dd, and already have access to a truck, why get another truck? Why not get another xj or a car?
                  P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                  2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                  OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Seriously, cheap car and go
                    I drive a Datsun

Comment

If thats your price range I wouldn't expect to find any diesel in good enough condition to be a daily driver, unfortunately. Unless you plan on throwing a few bucks at it. Kinda sucks but true

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
                        If thats your price range I wouldn't expect to find any diesel in good enough condition to be a daily driver, unfortunately. Unless you plan on throwing a few bucks at it. Kinda sucks but true
                        Truth

I spent 3 months looking for a deal. Spent $4k on my truck and immediately needed to spend $800 on it. And probably another $800 within a month. That sucked. Reid just spent $6k on the same configuration 12v and doesn't appear to need much.
                        97 XJ.

Comment

I was in the same boat as you…get another 12 valve for hopefully 5k in ok shape, or get a loan and get something i know I'm not going to have to put money into. I ended up getting a loan and I got an 03 6 speed cummins that i use as a DD. But it was $16k. The new trucks drive so much nicer than the old ones I don't even mind driving a manual everyday anymore.

Comment

Have Access to a truck go buy a car! Trust me, my Sentra was fucking awesome till uts death. Its really nice getting god fuel econmy. Dont worry about having a "lame" car, you will get over that once your spending $40 a week on gas.
                            -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

I feel you guys are right. I will look around at some cars that are better on gas. I don't really want a car but 40-50$ a week on gas would be nice. I am going to look at a turbo turd (7.3 idi turbo) next week. I just hate driving a car.

General Tires are

Comment

Working...
                              X