Poverty in the U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick View Post
    That depends on everyone refusing to take the job, why risk someone else getting it if you refuse to take it, then you're left with $0/hr
    Yes this is true. But as employees we let this happen none the less.

Federal minimum wage equates to $15,000/yr. How would you be able to cover all your other expenses and still afford to go to community college? The answer is you can't, which means the government has to step in and provide for you like you said, which you previously stated you are against.
    If the government is providing an education or skill that can be used to better yourself, and provide a career in which you can make more money than that is fine. I am against the government prividing handouts to people who dont want to make any effort to take advantage of what they are given.

Companies are not willing to pay enough. Paying more hurts corporate profits, which hurts stock prices, which hurts bonuses. Do the math. People are entitled to not be stuck in the cycle of poverty that the US welfare system has created, yes.
    Absolutely. Some of this comes from the lack of skilled people also.
    For myself. I have always been willing to pay more to a qualified candidate. In my industry (as well as most others I would assume) you get what you pay for. The people who are worth 10$ an hour effectively bill about 30-45$ an hour. A 35$ an hour employee can bill 100-150$ an hour. So well worth the investment. I can say that I know a lot of people who do not see this my way though and as you said, are just unwilling to pay.

The fact that you had a home and parents sets you apart from a vast majority of those people in the statistics. My point is that opportunity in this country is not equal, as it should be. The circumstances into which you are born largely dictate the outcome of your life. Of those 1.2mm homeless kids, how many will escape poverty? 5-10%? Meanwhile, because of the situation I was born into, it is highly unlikely I will ever face those struggles.
    You are absolutely correct here as well and I do believe that you are a product of your environment. BUT, I have always said, there are 2 kinds of people. The kind that are willing to overcome adversity, and those who are not. Which I believe unfortunately make up the majority.
    Is it possible to overcome poverty and at least make a living? Of course. Will everyone do it. Absolutely not. I imagine your 5-10% is probably pretty accurate on that.
    Dan.
    2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
    www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Originally posted by armadasx View Post
      The main problem us people just don't give a fuck.I knew I didn't want to pay out the ass for college,so I went to a state run tech high school.available to all ct residents who attend public schools.I haven't made less than 14 bucks an hour since I was 17....you want to go to a public school and not do any other schooling you better be prepared to work at McDonalds or some other min wage job.
      A LOT of truth there. trades are well worth it and capable of providing a good living.

I'm only in support of going to college so long as you know what you're going to do and the job you'll get coming out can justify putting yourself in a mountain of debt so early in life.
      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

The lot of us also live in Connecticut where there are a lot more opportunities to better yourself than say rural Alabama. Most of us have no concept of what real poverty is.
        sigpic
        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
          The lot of us also live in Connecticut .
          Are you sure you dont live in Great Britain or Ireland?
          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
          Originally posted by DizzDizz
          aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
            The lot of us also live in Connecticut where there are a lot more opportunities to better yourself than say rural Alabama. Most of us have no concept of what real poverty is.
            Real poverty is in other countries. Take a trip to India, Syria, Honduras or most countries in Central America and you'll see 50% or more of the population living in cardboard homes. Even our homeless have shelters and programs where they can get food and shelter. Our country's version of poverty is minimal compared to other parts of the world.

I agree that the middle class is being squeezed and there are too many people in the US that think they are entitled to things without earning them. Just look at foreclosures, credit card debt, etc. Everybody seems to want more for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
              Are you sure you dont live in Great Britain or Ireland?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zullock Holmes View Post
                very true. I believe 9 out of ten people living in poverty choose to be there
                i'd say anyone living in poverty on government support for years is clearly choosing to be there.

Comment

The fact that you had a home and parents sets you apart from a vast majority of those people in the statistics. My point is that opportunity in this country is not equal, as it should be. The circumstances into which you are born largely dictate the outcome of your life. Of those 1.2mm homeless kids, how many will escape poverty? 5-10%? Meanwhile, because of the situation I was born into, it is highly unlikely I will ever face those struggles.[/QUOTE]

Why are parents in this kind of a living situation deciding its a good idea to bring a child into the world?

.... Pot stirred
                  2 tj's
                  3 yj's
                  2 xj's
                  i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

Also take into account the environment in which people in poverty are brought up. Take the East End of Bridgeport, for example, it could be the most beautiful day in the world, 75 degrees, low humidity and not a cloud in the sky and yet the East End would still look like a festering cesspool of self loathing. Houses are left to rot, cars are left abandoned and burned in front of schools, property is unmaintained and despite the fact that there is not a cloud in the sky, a smog still looms over the neighborhood with unabated resolve. Everyone has tried to beautify Bridgeport, but it's still a horrible place, the North End is fine, because generally middle class people live there, same with the west end that boarders Fairfield.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X