Clayton questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clayton questions

The Clayton 3 link lists a 6.5 lift minimum but I have seen people run smaller lifts. Anyone know (including company welders) if you can run it with a 4.5 realistically. Have a friend looking to take a ride down to Clayton with a pocket full of money and he wants to know ahead of time.

Thanks

The upper link will hit the floor if you really flex it out wheeling, if he just wants a mall crawler it may work.

Just go for the 6.5 lift its really not that much. My XJ was on 35s and lifted almost as much as the Clayton XJ. I had no sway bars and it handled and rode just fine.

Comment

You can stuff a 35" tire, properly bumped, without the arm hitting the floor. Lift height really doesn't matter in terms of uptravel, I honestly don't know why they insist it will not work with under 6.5" of lift. If he's running a 33" though, when the tire is stuffed that might be a different story because the axle is actually traveling up farther, then it might hit the floor

A lot of people buy it and play with it. The big problem actually is the trackbar bracket, our standard height double sheer one would work with it fine, just not the drop one.
      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

At 4.5" he shouldn't need a drop bracket anyways, so he should be fine.
        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
        MK2 Jetta > M3
        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

thanks brosauce, but that's what I said
          No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

I never understood this. I have been saying what Zullo said. If you can stuff a 35" tire than why should lift height matter. Same point in uptravel no matter how much lift. Worst case be a big boy and make some room. Real 3 links go through the floor anyway!
            Dan.
            2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
            www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

I stand corrected I guess, the floor issue is just what I've been told my Adam when I was looking into the kit for my XJ. I would guess they say that to keep people who want like a 3in lift and 31s away from it as tat would probably cause issues.

Even if you do hit the floor just keep going, it's self clearanceing at that point.

Comment

same deal as dan and zullo said for my tj. when i built my system there was virtually no problem. you have to work with all the parts you have and do what needs to be done. nothing is one size fits all. mine is a tj and not an xj, but the same idea applies. gotta try it and see what kinda clearancing needs to be done.
                Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. He will be planning on picking stuff up next week. I told him to call first and make sure they have stuff in stock and make sure the fab guy isn't slackin!

Comment

Working...
                  X