Defining Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defining Success

The CT Post had a thing from Esquire Magazine who asked people in different cities around the country how much money they would need to earn per year to consider themselves successful.

The Top 3 are:

L.A.: $350,000
    New York: $300,000
    San Fran: $300,000

The Bottom 3 are:
    1. Albequerque: $80,000
    2. New Orleans: $90,000
    3. St. Louis: $100,000

How much money would you need to earn to consider yourself successful? If money isn't your defining metric, what is?

I only make 65k. A year....but I'm happy w fact that I am secure in my job I have just enough money to take care of my family pay my mortgage and take a vacation every now and then but money is not everything what determines success is your happiness with your career in current life choices and although I wish sometimes I could turn back the hands of time I do not regret anything that has happened because it has led to this point....being successful to me would be having a secure job that pays somewhat decent in an uncertain,unstable world...a family that loves you, and a warm safe home....that is success!
    99 XJ on tons and 40s....

Comment

being successful to me would be having a secure job that pays somewhat decent in an uncertain,unstable world...a family that loves you, and a warm safe home....that is success!
      x2 Money is not my gauge of success. It's enjoying life, family and friends. I have a good job, but not sure how secure since it seems we are always reorganizing. Removing that stress would make me happier, but it's not the end of the world if something should happen there.

Comment

Those figures are BS.

Success and rich as balls are two different things.
        Molten Motorsports - #4343/4443

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzaster View Post
          Those figures are BS.

Success and rich as balls are two different things.
          The figures are the opinions of whoever they polled. Maybe they choose people with lofty expectations.

Comment

I just want to make enough money so when I upgrade the parts in my jeep or change to something else I can just toss the old shit in a dumpster and not have to deal with selling it.

Or just make people do stupid shot for free parts. "What would you do for a lift kit?" Hahah

Comment

Im sorry but of course money has a role in success. I am happily married and believe that this is part of my success, but being able to afford a home, reliable cars to drive etc. is what ultimately defines success to me.
              Its hard to put a dollar amount on it. I also think it comes down to your area. I would really call being successful being able to have a house, a car and money in the bank. In Ct, for me that seems to be around 100k.
              Dan.
              2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
              www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

being able to live comfortably, not paycheck to paycheck, and still be able to do the things i love (travel, go out to eat, etc.) and have a house i am proud of. that's what i would consider successful. i'd rather be happily married, have good friends, and have a job i enjoy, then busting my ass nonstop to make tons of money, and not have time for the little things in life.
                mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
                2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
                and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Is success measured just in how much money you have? No, but it damn well helps the situation. Growing up where I am in Jersey has made me a very money motivated individual. Would I love to live somewhere slower where I can live for a lot less? yes of course and that's my goal, but I want to make sure I am easily financially stable before I do so. As Dan said, just being able to pay your bills isn't success to me. I need toys lol

It's hard to put a number on it because every city in the country is different. In NY you have to make that much to survive. In North Carolina or Alabama you make half of that and you are ballin.
                  P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                  2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                  OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Polling cities in this circumstance is worthless. NYC a one bedroom apartment will cost you close to 4500 a month rent, so of course you need an absurd amount of money to be happy.
                    sigpic
                    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I think no matter how much I make I would be still paycheck to paycheck. To much racecar...

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzaster View Post
                        I think no matter how much I make I would be still paycheck to paycheck. To much racecar...
                        Did we get a "like" button yet?
                        Dan.
                        2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
                        www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

The point of this exercise is to understand what you need to make in order to be consider yourself successful in your area. Everyone seems to be saying the same thing, but the point is to estimate a dollar amount necessary to achieve all those things based on where you live.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                            The point of this exercise is to understand what you need to make in order to be consider yourself successful in your area. Everyone seems to be saying the same thing, but the point is to estimate a dollar amount necessary to achieve all those things based on where you live.
                            Don't use all your educated talk here. These threads are supposed to turn into a shit show and shortly after turn into a political rant.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                              here? i'd say will and i would probably both have to make around 70-80k a year to get exactly what we want.

utah? probably 50-60k a year each.

sad.
                              mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
                              2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
                              and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Working...
                              X