Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your seats won't cause your Jeep to catch fire...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your seats won't cause your Jeep to catch fire...

BUT A REAR END COLLISION WILL!! Anyone remember the Pinto? Great balls of FIRE! Where is good ol Ralphy Nader when you need him??

Detroit — Chrysler on Tuesday avoided a confrontation with federal regulators by agreeing to inspect and possibly repair 2.7 million Jeeps that the government contends are defective and dangerous in the event of an accident.

The automaker and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have “resolved their differences” over the government’s request this month for Chrysler to recall 1993 to 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokees and 2002 to 2007 Jeep Liberty sport utility vehicles, the company said in a statement. At issue was the placement of fuel tanks, and whether it made the vehicles vulnerable in rear-end collisions and prone to gasoline leaks and fires.

Chrysler, the nation’s third-largest automaker behind General Motors and Ford, had previously said it would decline to recall the vehicles.

The company still contends the Jeeps are not defective and are among the safest of a group of similar sport utility vehicles made by other manufacturers.

But Chrysler said that it now plans to inspect Jeeps covered by the government’s recall request, and make unspecified changes to bolster the rear structures of some vehicles.

“Chrysler Group will conduct a voluntary campaign with respect to the vehicles in question that, in addition to a visual inspection of the vehicle will, if necessary, provide an upgrade to the rear structure of the vehicle to better manage crash forces in low-speed impacts,” the company said.

There was no immediate comment by the safety agency, which had asked Chrysler to recall the Jeeps after a three-year investigation.

In its recall letter to Chrysler, the agency cited 32 rear-impact collisions that caused fatal fires resulting in 44 deaths in Grand Cherokees, and five accidents that resulted in seven deaths in Jeep Libertys.

Chrysler acknowledged that customer fears played a role in its decision to recall the Jeeps.

“Chrysler Group recognizes that this matter has raised concerns for its customers and wants to take further steps, in coordination with N.H.T.S.A., to provide additional measures that supplement the safety of its vehicles,” the company said.

The automaker did not provide a timetable for beginning the inspections, or specify what equipment it would add to reinforce the Jeeps.
    Do you think it's bullshit? 37 cited rear end collisions out of 2.7 million Jeeps enough for a recall?
    Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 06-18-2013, 06:48 PM.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

the fix is they are adding hitches to those that dont have

true life: overlands come with them. tonight driving home, some guy in his prius rearended me at a red light. his hood is fawked. he hit my hitch.
    mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
    2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
    and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

I wonder if they will put a hitch on for me even with the stuff done to mine
      P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
      2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
      OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Lawn Guyland View Post

true life: overlands come with them. tonight driving home, some guy in his prius rearended me at a red light. his hood is fawked. he hit my hitch.
        And you didnt catch on fire!! How will the media handle this! Bull shit, didnt happen!
        -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Happened to bun the other week too. Honda rear ended her hitch. Honda was on a flatbed, Jeep was fine.
          -Erik
          Miller Motorsports #4421 : 1st Overall - 2010 Ultra4 IEC Series , 2010 Line Mtn. Race Series
          Thanks to: BFGoodrich, Spidertrax, The Axle Exchange, Metro Printing & Promo, North Jersey Jeep Club, CTM, RadFlo Shocks, Schwanke Engines, HeavyMetalConcepts, EMS Offroad

Comment

Free hitch? Hmm.

Sent from my pay phone in Chechnya
            2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
            MK2 Jetta > M3
            Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I dare people to hit my jeep..

Comment

ya i wouldn't mind if some idiot hit me. from every side their vehicle is fucked. it's either a rear hitch bumper, front winch plate, or rockers on either side. free money the way I see it.
                Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

Originally posted by ne14dbn View Post
                  Happened to bun the other week too. Honda rear ended her hitch. Honda was on a flatbed, Jeep was fine.
                  the guy was able to drive away, but he definitely messed up his hood. it was pouring rain and the jerk didnt even get out of the car! i got out of mine and was standing there in the rain. he rolled his window down and went "how bad is my car?" i turned to him and said "well, my car is fine, but you're gonna want to fix yours."
                  2022 JL Rubicon

Comment

Wow, the guy couldn't get out of his car after rear ending you?? What a fucking jackass.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                      Wow, the guy couldn't get out of his car after rear ending you?? What a fucking jackass.
                      yup. such a gentleman. lucky i had an umbrella.
                      2022 JL Rubicon

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Fairchild View Post
                        Free hitch? Hmm.

Sent from my pay phone in Chechnya
                        Jeep would rather you burn.
                        Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Is there some big difference between XJ and ZJ fuel systems I'm unaware of?

Or do the people that started this have as little a clue between Cherokee and Grand Cherokee as the typical CL seller?
                          97 XJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                            Is there some big difference between XJ and ZJ fuel systems I'm unaware of?

Or do the people that started this have as little a clue between Cherokee and Grand Cherokee as the typical CL seller?
                            exactly my first thought
                            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                            Originally posted by DizzDizz
                            aliens probed my husband

Comment

yup. such a gentleman. lucky i had an umbrella.
                              It was a Prius, the driver's lack of class doesn't surprise me.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X