No announcement yet.

Obtaining Motorcycle Endorsement In CT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtaining Motorcycle Endorsement In CT?

Want to go get my motorcycle endorsement, but i have a few questions. I've searched and read all the threads, but they're a few years old, and maybe things have changed.

I'm 17, and have had my drivers license for over a year now. (i'm sure CT has some dumb binding law due to my age.)

I want it to be as easy as possible for me. What is the easiest way to get a motorcycle endorsement in CT even if you have to spend a little bit of dough?
    Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

When I got my motorcycle license at 17 I was required to take the motorcycle safety course. The class was 2 days and they test you right there. Then you take that to the DMV and just take the written and they give you a license. You can also just get a learners permit if they still do that but you cant ride at night or with passengers. My info may be somewhat dated because I'm old as fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
      When I got my motorcycle license at 17 I was required to take the motorcycle safety course. The class was 2 days and they test you right there. Then you take that to the DMV and just take the written and they give you a license. You can also just get a learners permit if they still do that but you cant ride at night or with passengers. My info may be somewhat dated because I'm old as fuck.
      This is what i did when i was 17 too.
      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

classes are now mandatory regardless of age. there is no more testing at the DMV. It will cost you $200

Comment

What is this "written test" about? Is it mostly common sense or do i actually have to read the manual?

No more testing at the DMW? I don't even need to go through the DMW to get my endorsement? Can you elaborate on that?

So i just sign up for the motorcycle safety course and then when i complete that i have my license?
          Hudson

Comment

I got mine like a week ago.
            I'm not reading the other three replies, so here is the deal:

You sign up for the $200 course. It's 3 days (approx 20 hours). Day 1 was 3 hours of classroom, day 2 was 4 hours class room and 4 of riding (plus a lunch), and day 3 was about 8 hours of riding (plus a lunch).

The classroom provides you with a booklet and you pass their 50 question test, they drill the answers into you, no one fails.

The second half of the final day is the "evaluation" which is the riding test. It's 4 tests.

1) Two U-turns in a small box.
            2) Swerve.
            3) Quick Stop.
            4) A wide turn.

They will give you a paper right then and there saying you passed the course.
            It takes a few days for the DMV to be electronically notified, at which point you can take the "written" test at the DMV. It's a 16 question question written, you can use the booklet from the classroom or you can go to the DMV website and find it (they no longer have a physical pamphlet).

Note: If you go to the DMV before you take the course and get your permit (the same 16 question written as mentioned above) then after you pass the riding course you just have to wait for the DMV to be notified and you just have to go have them add the endorsement.

The cost at the DMV was $40 to take the test and an additional $30 (I think) to add the actually endorsement.

Sorry, I rambled on, but that should cover everything. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Edit:If you're under 18, you just have to have a parental signature to sign up for the course.
            Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Thanks a million dude. The 'rambling' actually cleared it up. What company did you go through?

My only other question is what is on the 16 question written test at the DMV? Should i know all of the information from taking the $200 course, or did you actually have to study up for that?

Thanks again.
              Hudson

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
                Thanks a million dude. The 'rambling' actually cleared it up. What company did you go through?

My only other question is what is on the 16 question written test at the DMV? Should i know all of the information from taking the $200 course, or did you actually have to study up for that?

Thanks again.

Not a problem. I was going nuts trying to understand the difference in written tests, but no one had a solid answer. I actually ended up going to the DMV and asking where the motorcycle operators manual was. Apparently, the don't exist anymore in a physical copy.

The 16 question test is your generic driving test. A LOT of what you answered in the classroom is on the test.. I would say you're safe with just the booklet from the classroom. However, if you want to overlap, I went ahead and actually grabbed this link for ya..

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/cycman.pdf

Just give it a quick read through before your test. I'd recommend the classroom time first, but I also had zero experience previous to it.

I signed up for the class through Gateway Community College. I'm not sure where you're located though, so.. that might not be the most convenient, however, I think it's all the same "company" or what have you.

That should cover everything, but let me know if you have any other questions.

The only thing I will mention that was told to us, and you should probably disregard until you're ready to go to the DMV is: Our instructors taught us that when following a car to stay to the left of the lane (they separate into three sections, you'll see) so the car can see you in their side view mirror and it keeps you out of the oil slick that is the center line. However, at the DMV, you ride center line so they can see you in the rear view. This is what I was told anyhow, I didn't actually have that question asked.
                Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Working...
                X