Compact Pick-Ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compact Pick-Ups

I always liked the Ford Rangers/older Tacomas & Frontiers. I loved the Jeep Gladiator concept when it came out and I feel like there is demand for a compact truck that no one is really filling, despite what the automakers say about the market.

Question: What specs/price would you require to purchase a compact truck (a la the Ranger) over a comparably equipped full-size truck/suv/wagon yadda yadda?

Almost bought a 2010 Frontier due to it's specs because they were exactly what I was looking for. Brand new it cost $24k as opposed to over 30 for a full-size. The 4.0 engine had way more hp and tq than the rangers and older s10's, as well as high payload capacity and towing capacity which was enough to tow my jeep (not that I would bc of mountainous areas). Plus the exterior and interior are very nice and it almost rides like a nice car. The Tacomas are very comparable as well except the price is way more expensive. In a nutshell it had exactly the specs I was looking for in a compact truck where a full-size was too expensive, too big and way worse gas mileage
    I drive a Datsun

Comment

Im a big fan of the Colorado/Canyon but I cant stand the 5 cylinder that they come with. They are available with the 5.3 but they are very rare in four wheel drive. id like to see more of then with the 5.3 or 4.8 stuffed in them or even a v6 of some sort. anything is better than that 5 cylinder.

Comment

Supposedly there is going to be a new compact GM truck in the next year or so, and maybe something new from Ford.

Comment

The 5 cyl might be the best thing Chevy did.
          Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by DizzDizz View Post
            The 5 cyl might be the best thing Chevy did.
            id be curious to hear your reasoning behind that. with my experience with them they were under powered with terrible gas mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep Creep View Post
              id be curious to hear your reasoning behind that. with my experience with them they were under powered with terrible gas mileage.
              Originally posted by DizzDizz View Post
              Notice the smiley.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                Notice the smiley.
                i also took that as an eye roll towards drews comment, not as a sarcastic response but that would make more sense cause that motor is terrible
                I drive a Datsun

Comment

We used to have colorados and canyons at enterprise. They were horrible to drive and I would never own one.

I would love a new Tacoma. I've always liked those, but have never driven them.
                  P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                  2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                  OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Honda Ridgeline I like the way they look and the V6 is pretty peppy. They ride smooth as hell/are very comfortable and get good (for a truck) gas mileage. You cant beat the reliability of a Honda and it still has a bed that will fit a 4 wheeler or something else if need be. Towing a jeep might be somewhat of a challenge but for someone looking for a practical vehicle that can still pull a trailer and haul stuff, I wouldnt look any further. As for price they start at about 30K so assume you will pay around 35k.

As I like the reliability of a toyota, to me the newer ones just feel cheap when I drive them. The interiors are boring too. Power-wise they arent bad out of the V6 just stay away from the 4cyl garbage. I do like the exterior styling though. If I was buying a Toyota truck, I would get a Tundra with the 5.7. Those things are beasts to tow with. However that obviously doesnt fit this compact class.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Father in law to be is obsesed with these, he buys them down south and brings then up

Comment

Originally posted by StompJrKz400 View Post
                        Father in law to be is obsesed with these, he buys them down south and brings then up

and they sit in his lawn until they return to mother earth.
                        -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                        https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
                        I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
                        -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjlaredo View Post
                          Truth

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjlaredo View Post
                            sigpic
                            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Mazda B-series pickup (what the Rangers are based off of). I had a 1989 B2600 5-speed, greatest little truck ever. Coulda done a little better on gas, but it was awesome in the snow and was (kind of) fun to drive.

Last edited by Ruepart Hoaxley; 04-28-2013, 10:22 PM.
                              2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                              MK2 Jetta > M3
                              Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Working...
                              X