Bigger Jeep = Bigger Headache?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger Jeep = Bigger Headache?

Discuss. Seems like it could be a good debate for here.

Would you rather have a smaller Jeep you could wheel smaller obstacles more often, due to increased reliability via practicality/decreased strain on parts?

or a bigger Jeep that you could wheel harder obstacles, but less often, due to decreased reliability due to more strain on parts and/or practicality?

by bigger jeep i dont mean a jeep on 33s, if that wasnt obvious. i mean something on at least 1/2 ton axles (or built lesser axles) with 35s+ that is built with primarily wheeling in mind.

I know there are in existence small jeeps that are generally unreliable and big jeeps that are generally reliable, that isnt the point.
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

small jeep. can still have fun with it and use it as a DD.
    mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
    2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
    and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Like I said in the other thread. For me, at least so far. My jeep now on tons and 40's is much better in about all aspects over having stock axles and 35's.
      There are a lot of things to consider. I think that a lot of people make the mistake of trying to push the drivetrain with a large tire, instead of designing their build around a tire size.
      My build was always intended for a 40" tire. I made sure to keep locking hubs for street use. Bigger brakes for the tire size etc.
      My jeep drives far better now than any other "mild" setup I have run. I can also drive it to wheel and not worry about catastrophic drivetrain failures, even while running the big boy obstacles.
      A lot of you know. I drive my Jeep to work almost every day. Not much stops me from driving it anywhere I want. I would like to have 5.38's over 5.13'. I think that would make it a little better, but it doesnt stop me from driving it.
      I loved my jeep on 35's. It worked great. For a Jeep on 35's. I still broke parts though. Now I love my Jeep even more. It does pretty much everything I ask of it. I have had 0 breakage so far, and I drive it much harder.
      Dan.
      2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
      www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Wag on 36"iroks basically 44s front and rear. Im fine with that. It was cut to fit 33s stock, which now with the new boost makes it look a little higher than i like but i like it better than a small jeep..........still doesn't fucking run, but gas tank and carb should fix that.
        Last edited by hippie metal; 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM.
        Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
        didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
        Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
        he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
        Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
        i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

i went smaller for this exact reason. thought it would be easier to have 3" lift and 33's over the 4.5" and 35's prior. i can still run the same trails anyway. but if i built something again it would be on tons/buggyish
          I drive a Datsun

Comment

I wish I had kept my old comanche on stockish axles and 33s. I had the most fun then with it as it was a daily driver with a lot of off roadability.

Comment

I ponder this somewhat frequently.

I got bored going places a little Jeep (on 33s) should go. My drivetrain, D30 in particular, was incredibly unreliable offroad and I did not believe that throwing more money at it was a good solution.

If I had more room (and money), I would love to own a simple XJ with a 3" lift on 31-32s. Maybe locked, maybe not. A local wheeling machine to sit aside my current Jeep that was capable of attempting/doing dumb things without constant carnage.
              97 XJ.

Comment

This is probably the right thread to post this in. Maybe someone can fill me in on their mistakes.

Have a 99 XJ. 4.5" RC LA Lift. 32" KM2 tires. 8.25 rear (open) and d30 in front (open). Upgraded stock steering with currie.

Everything else isn't worth mentioning.

Looking for opinions on where i should go next. Don't wheel it much actually, would like to be able to DD it, but i do love being able to have a vehicle that goes farther than others on the road.

Was thinking lockers, and sliders, and a rear bumper, but i don't really know.

Any opinions or words from the wise? Anything is greatly appreciated.
                Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
                  This is probably the right thread to post this in. Maybe someone can fill me in on their mistakes.

Have a 99 XJ. 4.5" RC LA Lift. 32" KM2 tires. 8.25 rear (open) and d30 in front (open). Upgraded stock steering with currie.

Looking for opinions on where i should go next. Don't wheel it much actually, would like to be able to DD it, but i do love being able to have a vehicle that goes farther than others on the road.

THERES NO WAY YOU FIT 32s WITH ONLY 4.5''

Comment

Lockers and sliders

I have only owned one kind of "built" jeep. Never over 33's and can DD it everywhere. I love that aspect of it, especially the dub since it has some nice comforts to it, drives well, and is relatively reliable. With that said, I would love something that I can really beat on. I love the mild trail riding and occasional tougher obstacle, but I would love something that can really wheel beyond moderate trails. Something with tube and at least 37's and tons. In particular something truggy like that I wouldn't mind bashing on something. But, that also entails having a truck and trailer, a huge expense in its own.
                    P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                    2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                    OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by hippie metal View Post
                      THERES NO WAY YOU FIT 32s WITH ONLY 4.5''
                      Front and rear are trimmed. Didn't cost anything, so i considered it not worth mentioning.

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                      Lockers and sliders

I have only owned one kind of "built" jeep. Never over 33's and can DD it everywhere. I love that aspect of it, especially the dub since it has some nice comforts to it, drives well, and is relatively reliable. With that said, I would love something that I can really beat on. I love the mild trail riding and occasional tougher obstacle, but I would love something that can really wheel beyond moderate trails. Something with tube and at least 37's and tons. In particular something truggy like that I wouldn't mind bashing on something. But, that also entails having a truck and trailer, a huge expense in its own.
                      Thank you. Was actually looking to do lockers/gears/sliders next. Just didn't know what kind of locker to get, if i should upgrade the 8.25, etc etc. Just reading up on everything i can to try to figure out a plan here.
                      Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

Front and rear are trimmed. Didn't cost anything, so i considered it not worth mentioning.

Comment

Thank you. Was actually looking to do lockers/gears/sliders next. Just didn't know what kind of locker to get, if i should upgrade the 8.25, etc etc. Just reading up on everything i can to try to figure out a plan here.
                          I had an Aussie in my 8.25 on 33's and I liked it. Phil has run Aussies front and rear on a 30/8.25 and has never had a problem with the rear axle. You should be ok locking the front on 32's, just bring a spare shaft just in case
                          P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                          2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                          OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Little Jeeps are fun, but eventually you catch the bug and start making it bigger.

If I had room, I would have both. Preferably one smaller and one bigger than what I have now.

Comment

my build plan was from the ground up for 35s. i built around that idea for the future. i liked 35s because they are a great size for wheeling pretty hard, great size tire for a tj and look great, and are probably the most popular tire/cheapest. with the 35 in mind i wanted the cheapest axle setup that could reliably handle them (keep in mind my squirrel children). hp30 and 8.8 locked. reliable setup in my eyes. i built about as big as i could go while allowing me to enjoy driving it all day every day everywhere i need to. i like cruising around town as much as wheeling.

bigger would be awesome, like dan's rig because it can be done well. the amount i would spend would not be worth it for me though. i wanna keep my jeep on the road for another 10 years so it's just not necessary. building some nice mid/long arm suspension is my final project on it.

SO, as big as you can, for as cheap as you can, and keep it safely on the road to enjoy. my big thing is being able to continue to enjoy my jeep, rather than it becoming a headache.
                              Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

Comment

Working...
                              X