Emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emissions

I now have evidence that emissions controls are a complete and utter sham.

Let me tell you a little story about a Jeep that was in sad shape. Nearly every emission related part had to be replaced to get it to pass the dyno sniffer test (after 3 tries).

This Jeep then had a Weber carb and an HEI ignition system swapped in.

The offshoot of this swap is that nearly all of the emissions systems on the Jeep went away. The EGR valve, the pulse air system, the deceleration valve, the oxygen sensor, the thermostatically controlled air cleaner, the computer controlled carb, the computer controlled ignition, the computer itself, approximately 2 miles of vacuum lines and 3 miles of wiring are all gone. From an emissions standpoint this engine is now back in the pre-emission controlled stone age of the 1960's.

This Jeep was sent through the emissions test again to see how badly it would fail.

It passed.

On the first try.

And scored significantly better than when all the emissions gear was in place.

The hydrocarbon emissions dropped from 55 PPM to 22 PPM
    The NOx emissions dropped from 298 PPM to 58 PPM

Aren't you glad your government has mandated emissions controls to protect you from the evil environmental terrorists who would otherwise be polluting your ozones?

allthatshitnotreading

Comment

And here are some pics of the wreckage that was removed:

Wires!

Computer!

Excessively convoluted Ignition!

Most elaborate carb ever imagined by man!

Vacuum crap!

Overly Complicated Air cleaner!

Comment

whats in there now? (pics)
        "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
        It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

yay for excessive government regulation. i dont think i even need to say it . . .
          2 tj's
          3 yj's
          2 xj's
          i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

i bet it runs better to, I know my CJ did after i put a weber carb on it.
            Jeep - every bump is a steering opportunity

Comment

now we'll have to see if mine does half as well as yours did
              -Tim

Comment

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
                whats in there now? (pics)
                Weber Carb:

HEI Distributor:

As long as there is 2PSI of fuel going to the carb and 12 volts of DC going to the distributor it will run.

Comment

thats pretty sweet
                  "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
                  It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Yeah I had a similar experience, Chris...

Glad you passed.
                    sigpic
                    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

ha my jeep stalled out twice on the rollers, and still passed.
                      1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                      1999 sierra
                      1967 M725 Big and Slow
                      -Dan

Comment

Hmm.. Looks sick.

Around here, or at least the place I went to (Very reputable collision center) they didnt even sniff the truck because older than 10 years they only do a safety check..

FUCKING GENO

Comment

nice job passing CT emissions are ridiculous sometimes. Tight limits and on 96 and newer where its OBD plug in test, Even if your vehicle has a code not related to emissions at all, it will still fail emissions test

I see it everyday unfortunately Im a state certified emissions inspector
                          up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                          eliminator MJ - Sold
                          99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                          Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

my dads doin a weber swap on our samurai, imagine that carb, just as complicated, half the size
                            dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by 1cleantj View Post
                              nice job passing CT emissions are ridiculous sometimes. Tight limits and on 96 and newer where its OBD plug in test, Even if your vehicle has a code not related to emissions at all, it will still fail emissions test

I see it everyday unfortunately Im a state certified emissions inspector
                              Yeah I see some vehicles come in and they fail for something stupid then you see this POS come in with the check engine light on blowing blue smoke and still pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X