Motor Trend SUV of the year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Trend SUV of the year!

Hellz to the yeah..... not really, the SUV died a long time ago I know but this is just sad hpw they write this up as some awesome vehicle...its still a crossover in my book. 10 inch ground clearance, no solid axles, no low range or even selectable transfer case...all electronic traction control, 20" rims and low profile tires. RIP to the Sport Utility Vehicle (I know its been dead for years now) just makes me all the more sad when I see things like this.
    http://m.motortrend.com/oftheyear/su...cedes_benz_gl/
    dead
    100.00%
    evolved
    0.00%
    -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
    https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
    I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
    -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

I agree... I do happen to drive a very NON "suv" type SUV.... but... I at least don't pretend it's something it's not.

The SUV died in the early 2000's with IRS (the IFS argument is viable too) and lower ground clearance. I'm always amused watching people with an AWD "SUV" with street tires, street wheels and large plastic fascia trying to plow through the snow. Usually ends up on the side of the road with the rest of the mini vans.
    -Doug

Used to wheel.... now..... not so much....

Comment

i enjoy how all the "off road" shots were taken on the side of the road in the same spot, taken from different angles
      - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
      or am asians pants not a read end lol.
      Originally posted by DizzDizz
      aliens probed my husband

Comment

Its what a normal consumer wants, and what meets fed saftey requirements.
        -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
          normal consumer wants
          I get what you are saying, but, define normal consumer.

I am one, so are you. There are countless JKs out there that are modded and go off road, and it has to be one of the best selling jeeps of all time...all owned by normal consumers.

The idea/execution of the "sport utility vehicle" is still desirable to normal consumers.

Automakers just decided to begin to shift/market their SUVs to the minivan crowd in an effort to "sell the idea" of the SUV without making a true to life "SUV" in what it was intended. They are extremely expensive large minivans that are vaguely more "truck" like in a way, and appeal to the hairdressers and suburban moms/dads..the real cashola.

I think what he is getting at isnt the fact its a bad vehicle, but the fact that "SUV of the Year" goes to something that isnt really an SUV in the spirit of what an SUV was always intended to be. SUVs still sell to consumers, but cars like this are just marketing snake oil (just look at the pics of it on the dirt on the side of the road).
          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
            I get what you are saying, but, define normal consumer.

I am one, so are you. There are countless JKs out there that are modded and go off road, and it has to be one of the best selling jeeps of all time...all owned by normal consumers.

The idea/execution of the "sport utility vehicle" is still desirable to normal consumers.

Automakers just decided to begin to shift/market their SUVs to the minivan crowd in an effort to "sell the idea" of the SUV without making a true to life "SUV" in what it was intended. They are extremely expensive large minivans that are vaguely more "truck" like in a way, and appeal to the hairdressers and suburban moms/dads..the real cashola.

I think what he is getting at isnt the fact its a bad vehicle, but the fact that "SUV of the Year" goes to something that isnt really an SUV in the spirit of what an SUV was always intended to be. SUVs still sell to consumers, but cars like this are just marketing snake oil (just look at the pics of it on the dirt on the side of the road).
            least I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. And that's precisely the point I was hitting on so STOP hammertime! Madd +1 to this post. America and the consumerist market has lost sight of what it meant to be an SUV they were a fad almost. Everyone wanted one and then they just vanished into thin air. I understand that's where the money is and that the traditional SUV doesn't make as much money as above mentioned minivans, but there still is a place in the market for them. No one IMHO makes a TRUE SUV anymore. They're all dulled out boring luxury sedans that sit higher.nothing like the beloved XJ/YJ/TJ/MJ/ZJ lineup of the days gone by...hell even the early s10 blazers and explorers were true to the SUV fad vs now...where they're all just plastic ugly and incapable of braving a mud puddle on a rainy afternoon. Henceforth why I will ALWAYS have at least 1 XJ Cherocar showed me what an SUV Should be and that image/expirience I have will NEVER be thwarted or reversed! 'Murica
            -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
            -Ian

Comment

It doesn't surprise me in the least. "SUV" is one of those things that has changed into something else over time. Its just like the smartphone. When i first started in wireless, smart phone was specific to the windows mobile devices and then it just evolved to encompass iphones, blackberries, etc.

They use the term SUV because its known and then have evolved it to be these raised stations wagons that americans buy. I find it interesting that people here don't buy as many hatchbacks and station wagons are hardly made anymore but people will buy little Crossovers.

Comment

SUV stands for Suburban Utiliy Vehicle, the 'Sport' died years ago.
                sigpic
                Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

90k? For that pos I better be able to fuck that thing from all angles
                  2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
                  97' zj
                  2012 surbra imperza DD
                  im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

Comment

Originally posted by hoggie101 View Post
                    I'd settle for a road head button.
                    -Doug

Used to wheel.... now..... not so much....

Comment

- Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Mangi Hill View Post
                        I'd settle for a road head button.
                        [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc1wQ8Xha9s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc1wQ8Xha9s[/ame]

-00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                        -Ian

Comment

The point of an SUV is to carry a bunch of crap, be safe, and can handle a dirt road. That's what they make now, but lower, more comfortable, bigger inside, and can load up the kids. What percentage of people actually go offroad anyway? No I don't like them, but it's the structure of the business. It's SUV of the year, not 4x4. They make more money this way so it is what it is
                          Last edited by Pedro; 10-18-2012, 02:59 PM.
                          P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                          2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                          OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                            The point of an SUV is to carry a bunch of crap, be safe, and can handle a dirt road.
                            Where did you dig up that definition?
                            - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                              The point of an SUV is to carry a bunch of crap, be safe, and can handle a dirt road. That's what they make now, but lower, more comfortable, bigger inside, and can load up the kids. What percentage of people actually go offroad anyway? No I don't like them, but it's the structure of the business. It's SUV of the year, not 4x4. They make more money this way so it is what it is
                              im going to disagree there, the SUV broken down means Sport Utility Vehicle. Vehicle is the obvious one. 4 wheel gas powered etc
                              Utility the ability to carry cargo and passengers safely
                              Sport the ability to use it for recreation and pleasure

SOOOO if you combine all of them together you get SUV they(auto makers) have successfully and completely removed the SPORT aspect of the vehicle which IMHO is 50% of the vehicles soul. after that it just becomes a boring old vehicle with no character. like a Toyota Camry. that has utility and its a vehicle but its certainly not sporty and it definitely has no soul.
                              -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                              -Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X