question about tuner chip/program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about tuner chip/program

So my brother buys a truck. He has had it for almost a month, the previous owner calls and says the truck has a program in it to increase power and fuel economy, and he wants it back because he says the turner thing is locked. one, does the guy have any claim to it? (keep in mind my brother didnt know about it and it seems like the guy forgot about it), and two is there anyway of knowing if the truck has a program in it?
    1984 2.8 V6 XJ 2 door, 3'' lift 33'' general grabbers, 4.56 gears and half dead #rebuild

2002 4.7 WJ stock with K&n intake-DD

Idk if there is a way, but I'd tell the guy to fuck off. Not your brother's problem.
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

He bought the truck, it as a whole is his. If the guy tries to come and take it call the cops...

Or make the guy buy it back, a month is far too long to have an excuse for forgetting it.
      dirty30

Comment

If it was with the truck when he bought it, it's his. If the agreement upon buying it was that it came without said chip, then okay, the guy has a claim. Otherwise, there's nothing he can do.
        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
        MK2 Jetta > M3
        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
          If it was with the truck when he bought it, it's his. If the agreement upon buying it was that it came without said chip, then okay, the guy has a claim. Otherwise, there's nothing he can do.
          This is somewhat true if it's documented otherwise it's heresay/bullshit and he can't do a thing. Verble agreements won't holdup in court.

Comment

yeah the guy who sold it, never said anything about the program when he sold it. so my brother told in to deal with it (paraphrased for making shorter story). so i think its in the clear now, thanks for the help everyone.
            1984 2.8 V6 XJ 2 door, 3'' lift 33'' general grabbers, 4.56 gears and half dead #rebuild

Comment

Some programmers are VIN specific. And his tuner may need to retrieve all programs before it can write for his next truck. Otherwise people could buy one programmer and reprogram thirty trucks for the price of one haha

Comment

Sounds like the guys a dumbass, i would atleast want some incentive to bring the truck back to him.... Why would i wanna downgrade my ecm mapping?

Comment

Originally posted by XJ1701 View Post
                  So my brother buys a truck. He has had it for almost a month, the previous owner calls and says the truck has a program in it to increase power and fuel economy, and he wants it back because he says the turner thing is locked. one, does the guy have any claim to it? (keep in mind my brother didnt know about it and it seems like the guy forgot about it), and two is there anyway of knowing if the truck has a program in it?
                  long as you have a bill of sale and/or the title in hand in your brothers name, just tell the guy to piss off...and if he wants the truck back. charge him twice for what he paid for it. hate assholes like this.
                  -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                  https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
                  I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
                  -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

Yeah I think it was the VIN lock thing. And the guy didn't want the truck back just the program in the truck. Then after a bit the guys says he'd sell the tuner to my brother, and granted they are expensive, I said go low number to start being it used and all, the guy responds with he will send it to company to have them reprogram it so he could use it. So my bro is basically said have a ball. He then texts back asking if emissions were done, and it might not pass. My brother ignored that one.

So this one falls under shady Craigslist deals

Comment

Working...
                    X