US Top Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Top Gear

Anyone catch the painful US Top Gear last night? The episode ended with a drive of Amsols King of the Hammer rig. They describe it as the ultimate offroad vehicle conquering anything mother nature can dish out and use maybe 1/1000th of its capabilities. Basically just bombing down dirt roads. After watching Rise of the East and realizing that these rigs are incredible vehicles, to watch"back country" stig drive it was embarrassing.
    Don't Panic

and away we go...

im really shocked at all the negative feedback this episode has gotten...i would say a very large majority of top gear's audience has no idea what KOH/Ultra4 is, so just getting a taste of it out there to a new audience was definitely a great idea. was it the best terrain/example they could have shown for the capability of that rig? no, definitely not, but the exposure was good. i know a lot of people are upset with the wording they used to describe the rig, but when it comes down to it, Ultra4 rigs aren't mean to be eco-friendly, etc.
    mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
    2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
    and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Im sure much of my resentment spawns from the fact that the us top gear is a complete knock off of the British version. With that being said, and all though much of it feels staged or forced, the actors chemistry is getting better. I do agree with the publicity, but they could have done more to better represent what the rigs can do.
      Don't Panic

Comment

Ever watch the first couple years of the UK Top Gear? Its not good, that's for sure. It takes time to get it right. Adam Ferrara is a retard, Tanner Foust is a tool (that can drive) and Rutledge Wood fits the part fairly well.

Regardless of how good or bad the show was, this was massive for KOH and Ultra4. Even though Dave Cole and Hammerking had nothing to do with it. The Lovell's really stepped it up and put an U4 in front of more viewers then ever before. I have to applaud them for what they have done and keep doing for our sport.
        Molten Motorsports - #4343/4443

Comment

Didn't like the part when they were talking about it being the worst possible vehicle for the environment, it mother natures natural enemy and blah blah blah bullshit. Doesnt make the sport look too good in the eyes of the general public IMO.

The kayaker had my interest more than them driving the truck down dirt roads, that guy is a badass.
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

here is what i posted on pirate about this.

I have seen a few people chicken littling about this. I think it was a cool segment that their audience would find entertaining. I know I will catch flak for this, but at some point its ok to call a spade a spade and say off road vehicles are not a fluffy bunny to the environment, especially KOH race cars. The fact that they are ridiculous is the entire allure to them, they arent camping trail riding Jeeps...and thats the entire entertainment angle theyre playing.

I would rather watch a segment like they did on Top Gear versus what Speed puts out for KOH.

No one watching Top Gear cares about the subtle tongue in cheek comments they made except for:
            A. Us
            B. People who are already very against us

Joe Blow is going to watch this and think its awesome..do you think Top Gear USAs audience is full of wild environmentalists and politicians carefully plotting the demise of the off road world based on word usage?

they stayed on trail the entire time, had some actual good footage, a cool challenge to boot, and at the end of the day got us some great air time and "clout". People need to stop being so sensitive and self destructive.
            There will not be an educational "tread lightly feel good" off road segment on TV, and if there was, no one would watch it because that is insanely boring/uninteresting to anyone not on the "inside," even we as off roaders dont even like it. It does not translate well to entertaining media.

People need to look at this from the outside instead of being locked in our own little exclusive bubble of a community where we are hyper sensitive to anything and everything.
            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
            Originally posted by DizzDizz
            aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
              here is what i posted on pirate about this.

I have seen a few people chicken littling about this. I think it was a cool segment that their audience would find entertaining. I know I will catch flak for this, but at some point its ok to call a spade a spade and say off road vehicles are not a fluffy bunny to the environment, especially KOH race cars. The fact that they are ridiculous is the entire allure to them, they arent camping trail riding Jeeps...and thats the entire entertainment angle theyre playing.

I would rather watch a segment like they did on Top Gear versus what Speed puts out for KOH.

No one watching Top Gear cares about the subtle tongue in cheek comments they made except for:
              A. Us
              B. People who are already very against us

Joe Blow is going to watch this and think its awesome..do you think Top Gear USAs audience is full of wild environmentalists and politicians carefully plotting the demise of the off road world based on word usage?

they stayed on trail the entire time, had some actual good footage, a cool challenge to boot, and at the end of the day got us some great air time and "clout". People need to stop being so sensitive and self destructive.
              There will not be an educational "tread lightly feel good" off road segment on TV, and if there was, no one would watch it because that is insanely boring/uninteresting to anyone not on the "inside," even we as off roaders dont even like it. It does not translate well to entertaining media.

People need to look at this from the outside instead of being locked in our own little exclusive bubble of a community where we are hyper sensitive to anything and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Calabrate2 View Post
                Anyone catch the painful US Top Gear last night? The episode ended with a drive of Amsols King of the Hammer rig. They describe it as the ultimate offroad vehicle conquering anything mother nature can dish out and use maybe 1/1000th of its capabilities. Basically just bombing down dirt roads. After watching Rise of the East and realizing that these rigs are incredible vehicles, to watch"back country" stig drive it was embarrassing.
                no matter how you slice it, the show was created for general consumption. top gear was in touch with us to provide footage of the event(KOH), but they cheaped out on buying the stock footage, so they at least had the intent on showing the capability of them, but they chose to do it "in house" the best they could in their challenge.

the fact an ultra4 car was on history channel is huge in my opinion whether they were driving it up Sledgehammer or if it was on the Vegas strip. Cool things are happening to a very young race series.
                - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

the fact an ultra4 car was on history channel is huge in my opinion whether they were driving it up Sledgehammer or if it was on the Vegas strip. Cool things are happening to a very young race series.
                  this...i hate the american top gear and i dont have TV anymore so i didnt watch it...dont much care to either. but i was talking to my neighbor this afternoon while picking up my brother and sister off the bus...now the most offroading this guy sees is the dirt road we live on and the hunting area he rides his little 80s honda 2wd fourwheeler... well he watched it and was utterly shocked by what the Ultra4 truck could do...and i simply smiled and said, you dont even know the half of it. simply because i KNOW they didnt show what the real trucks can do. so in short i explained to him and showed him what i saw at rausch creek this year. but to hear the words Ultra4 come out of his mouth and how awestruck he was with that rig was amazing for me because it is so young of a series. if more people see it more people will support it and we wont have pages like "Save The Hammers" anymore
                  -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                  https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
                  I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
                  -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjlaredo View Post
                    But to hear the words Ultra4 come out of his mouth and how awestruck he was with that rig was amazing for me because it is so young of a series.
                    Funny thing was, they didn't say the word Ultra4 once. It was all "King of the Hammers". You know what that means? The guy looked it up and they got traffic to the Ultra4 website.

Comment

point proven
                      - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzaster View Post
                        Funny thing was, they didn't say the word Ultra4 once. It was all "King of the Hammers". You know what that means? The guy looked it up and they got traffic to the Ultra4 website.
                        thats funny actually he kept referring to it as ultra 4

i may go hug him later
                        -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                        -Ian

Comment

oh and didnt Erik Miller JUST have twisty on the pavement not too long ago, to go to Vegas strip or something? hahahaha
                          -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                          -Ian

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjlaredo View Post
                            oh and didnt Erik Miller JUST have twisty on the pavement not too long ago, to go to Vegas strip or something? hahahaha
                            a street rod show in MD
                            - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

a street rod show in MD
                              ahhhhh, i saw pics of it and how he was like oh yeh wish half my vehicles handled as nice or something to that effect. quite the spectacle now that i actually look at it!
                              -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
                              -Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X