Picking A Camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking A Camera?

Just got back from Vermont and realized that i do not have a good digital camera to take pictures. I want to fix this.

My cousin was also there, and he had a Nikon D40x and he let me use the thing. Needless to say, i fell in love with the damn thing. The ability to snap pictures so fast in such good quality was mind-blowing.

I know nothing at all about cameras, but i figured someone on here might actually be knowledgeable on them. I'd go into details on what the Nikon D40x looks like, but if you don't know, you probably don't know much about cameras.

Now, i'll answer some questions before i get them. I plan to mostly take pictures of the outdoors. I like to hike and walk around a lot, so i'd like to be able to have it for that, and when/if i travel, i'd like to be able to use it for that as well. I guess i just want a good all around camera that has the ability to snap pictures fast. I'd assume most pictures would vary from rather close (like 5-20 feet away from me) to hundreds of feet away (like a mountain range). Could anyone point me in some sort of direction?

I know i could spend thousands upon thousands, but i'd call my limit somewhere around the ~500$ mark.

Oh, and have a picture i took of a trailer being supported by an eye beam that was sitting on wood pallets. I'm sure this is an approved method of building. Oh, and a horse on a porch, and some mountains.

Last edited by Hudson; 09-03-2012, 05:08 PM.
    Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

I have a nikon d3100 its a very idiot proof camera i take it everywhere love the damn thing. And it takes pics pretty fast for. Proconsumer camera ai think 5 a second.
    Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

ive got a Kodak P880, its an oldie and a superb pain in the ass to dial in but it makes for some decent shots. took a couple at the rausch qualifier.

mind you i was standing quite a distance away from all the action scenes. camera has a very nice 5.8X optical zoom, for its age and what it has its a good camera. only downfall is its JUST old enough where it wont accept the SDHC memory card formats so the max you can get is around a 4 gig i believe but my 2 gig card gives me around 300 images on super high quality which is a full 8 megapixels.

big plus is since theyre so old if you can find em they can be had for uber cheap...like 100 bucks. i paid 100 for mine which is 10 bucks less than what my dad paid for it 3 years before.

these images are compressed cause i dont have em on photo hosting anywhere but you get the idea.
      Attached Files
      -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
      https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
      I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
      -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

Originally posted by fizzy View Post
        I have a nikon d3100 its a very idiot proof camera i take it everywhere love the damn thing. And it takes pics pretty fast for. Proconsumer camera ai think 5 a second.
        That's actually the newer model of the camera my cousin has.

5 a second is plenty, on my old digital camera you'd take a picture, and you'd get the black screen for a few seconds then you could take another. I thought it was fine, but after being able to just snap pictures with his camera so fast, i've thought otherwise.

How are the lenses for that? I'd also buy a long distance lens for taking close ups from far away. As dumb as this question is going to sound, if i were to zoom in on something with one of these lenses would the image still be crystal clear? I don't want something were when i zoom in and take a picture it's all pixelated.

@Laredo i'd look into one of those, but i love having the ability to plug one of my 32 gig SDHC cards into it, and being able to snap thousands of pictures on one card. You can buy a 32GB SDHC card now for like 20$.
        Hudson

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post

@Laredo i'd look into one of those, but i love having the ability to plug one of my 32 gig SDHC cards into it, and being able to snap thousands of pictures on one card. You can buy a 32GB SDHC card now for like 20$.
          understandable. and i would love that as well. if i didnt get comfortable with it and whatnot id prolly buy a newer one too...oh and if i wasnt piss ass broke all the time
          -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
          https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
          I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
          -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

i dont know too much about the ~$500 range for cameras, but i love mine.

i have canon t3i. will has a canon 60d. both are amazing cameras, but the 60d is much more expensive.

it seems that what you're asking for is a pretty common thing with today's cameras. it sounds like you don't wanna go into the DSLR world yet, but don't want a basic point and shoot. take a look here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Di...1/N/4288586282

b&h is a great place for cameras/accessories and their site is pretty helpful
            mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
            2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
            and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Originally posted by Lawn Guyland View Post

Can't stress enough how good B&H is.
              sigpic
              Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjlaredo View Post
                understandable. and i would love that as well. if i didnt get comfortable with it and whatnot id prolly buy a newer one too...oh and if i wasnt piss ass broke all the time
                I hear yah on that one. It seems like all my money goes into the jeep and i have to dig pocket change out of my other pockets to save up for other things i so desire.

Originally posted by Lawn Guyland View Post
                i dont know too much about the ~$500 range for cameras, but i love mine.

i have canon t3i. will has a canon 60d. both are amazing cameras, but the 60d is much more expensive.

it seems that what you're asking for is a pretty common thing with today's cameras. it sounds like you don't wanna go into the DSLR world yet, but don't want a basic point and shoot. take a look here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Di...1/N/4288586282

You're 100% correct. I'm basically looking for a camera that doesn't have the black screen for a few seconds after you take a picture, and one that takes amazing quality pictures. I don't need the best of the best, as these are simply for self-viewing and not professional purposes.

I can't justify spending the 1,200$ for the Canon 60d, or ~700$ for the camera you have. The Nikon D3100 (~500$) range should be plenty for me. I thought my cousins camera was amazing, and that one is the next model of it, so it's probably better than that. That should work me wonders.

I'm going to continue researching before i buy, but i will head over to that website and learn a thing or two. Thanks for the link.
                Hudson

Comment

you're welcome! if you have questions post em up. im sure will will chime in here later on too and can give his 2 cents
                  mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
                  2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
                  and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post

How are the lenses for that? I'd also buy a long distance lens for taking close ups from far away. As dumb as this question is going to sound, if i were to zoom in on something with one of these lenses would the image still be crystal clear? I don't want something were when i zoom in and take a picture it's all pixelated.

I have a telephoto lense 55-200 and i can zoom pretty far in with that and its still crystal clear.
                    Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

We got the Nikon d3100 works great.
                      I got it at best buy $500 they honored the online price and no shipping.
                      D3100 doesn't work with mechanical auto focus lenses, doesn't matter unless your already own them.

I'm not a photographer we just wanted to be able to take fast pictures like you are saying.
                      It is great for the kids they never hold still so taking fast pictures is a must we always leave it on continuous mode. We take hundreds of pictures to get a couple good ones.
                      We also got the speed light SB-400 which helps speed up the pictures when you need a flash.

If you do a search on SIS for DSLR I ask which one to buy came down to either Nikon or Cannon.
                      http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthr...highlight=dslr
                      Comes down knowing how to use the camera is more important than having a nice camera.
                      I don't really know what to do when the pictures don't come out right we just flip to the next auto setting and hope for the best.
                      Last edited by customcreationsllc; 09-04-2012, 08:34 AM.
                      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                      www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

hi have the d3100 and love it it comes with the 18-55 kit lens the kit lens take ok pics outside but inside it not that good. i would recommend geting nikon 35mm f1.8 lens i just got it and the pic look so much better but its other 200 for that lens and for a zoom len there the 55-200 that one 250 and it work good here a lik the the 35mm lens. i hop this helps u out

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+...&skuId=9542328

and the zoon lens
                        http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+...&skuId=8565368

Comment

Working...
                        X