Importing a Defender 90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing a Defender 90

Has anyone ever looked into this? I have always loved the 90's since I was a kid, and now that some are over 25 years old its totally reasonable to have one imported. I am starting to collect information on doing it now, and thinking about getting it done this winter... whether just to sell it for a profit or to have it as another toy. From what I understand, I can buy one in the UK, and have it shipped here for around 1200 bucks using roll on/roll off (no container)... door to door. As long as they are over 25 years old, there is not much to deal with as far as paperwork. Considering I can buy a decent one in the UK for about 4-5 grand, I could theoretically have a defender here for under 7 grand. Thats 8 grand less than the absolute cheapest 90 I have ever seen! Anyone have anything to add from experience or hearsay?
    2001 TJ
    2001 Tahoe
    2013 M3
    1986 R65
    1997 Blackbird
    2013 R1200GS

A customer that comes into work bought a 4 cal diesel 78 land cruiser from costa rica that way to restore. He said all he had to do was like you said. Apparently they are all over the place down there so he found a supplier, had it shipped, and picked it up. As simple as that. He said paperwork was easy too. Not to mention it was dirt cheap. The thing is bad ass.

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

kickass idea, when i go down south theres a guy with an orange d90, crazy truck

Comment

Fuck that UK junk! Pick one up in Canada and drive it home. I smuggled in a 90 with a friend through the north Maine woods a few years back. I don't advise buying any vehicle site unseen especially from another country.
        HOONIGAN FOR LIFE
        OLD 4X4'S NEVER DIE!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainInsano View Post
          Fuck that UK junk! Pick one up in Canada and drive it home. I smuggled in a 90 with a friend through the north Maine woods a few years back. I don't advise buying any vehicle site unseen especially from another country.
          Well, I just looked into that actually and it looks like theyre selling for quite a bit of money in canada as well... they're priced like kidneys on your redheaded stepchild in england. $5000 for a decent one.
          2001 TJ
          2001 Tahoe
          2013 M3
          1986 R65
          1997 Blackbird
          2013 R1200GS

Comment

So I have decided to take a trip to the UK in spring and come back with a defender... wish me luck.
            2001 TJ
            2001 Tahoe
            2013 M3
            1986 R65
            1997 Blackbird
            2013 R1200GS

Comment

Originally posted by loudobbs View Post
              So I have decided to take a trip to the UK in spring and come back with a defender... wish me luck.
              Dang, committed!
              - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
              or am asians pants not a read end lol.
              Originally posted by DizzDizz
              aliens probed my husband

Comment

You're not looking in the right place in Canada

Good luck though. Smart decision taking a trip to the UK, you'll know what you're getting for your $$$. If I were you I'd try and get your hands on one with the 300TDI the 200TDI's are slugs. A good friend of mine is an Importer, if you need any advice/have any questions let me know.
                HOONIGAN FOR LIFE
                OLD 4X4'S NEVER DIE!!!!!

Comment

Defenders are Get a Series III 109.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainInsano View Post
                    You're not looking in the right place in Canada

Good luck though. Smart decision taking a trip to the UK, you'll know what you're getting for your $$$. If I were you I'd try and get your hands on one with the 300TDI the 200TDI's are slugs. A good friend of mine is an Importer, if you need any advice/have any questions let me know.
                    I definitely need any tips he is willing to offer, and would even go so far as to ask for a quote from him. Does he handle shipping as well?

Also, where should I be looking?
                    Last edited by loudobbs; 09-05-2012, 11:11 AM.
                    2001 TJ
                    2001 Tahoe
                    2013 M3
                    1986 R65
                    1997 Blackbird
                    2013 R1200GS

Comment

Working...
                    X