Marlin model 60?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin model 60?

Anyone have one? Do you like it? Im looking for a 22 for some plinking. I have read of people complaining and also have experienced box magazine rifles like the 10/22 or the 597 jamming up?? I do like the 597 over at dicks because it already has a cheap little scope on it. Whats my best bet? Dont really care about aftermarket availabilty much, as long as I can slap a scope on it.

I almost threw one across the shop today, funny you mention it....
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

So is it not a worthy rifle?

Comment

Just buy a Ruger 10/22. The Remington 597 is the biggest piece of junk out there, the Marlin, while a decent rifle, has easily one of the worst trigger systems in a 22 rifle and the Ruger just works and you can slap a scope on it and plink all day long.

Get the Ruger.
        sigpic

Comment

I have an early 70's model 60 that is awesome, but f you're buying new I would suggest the 10/22 even though I love my 60
          dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
            Get the Ruger.

Comment

I like my Savage thank you very much
              P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
              2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
              OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                Because it's one of the best bolt 22s you can buy.
                sigpic

Comment

Your moms a bolt .22
                  Sergeant Sergeant Master Sergeant Shooter Person

MS Paint " Its like painting with a sauce covered piece of pasta".

Official In Crowd member.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                    I like my savage 93 in .17. awesome stupid accurate.
                    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

model 60 is a great gun, tube feed, reliable. i have a mossburg plinktser, it never jams, for 80-100 bucks you cant go wrong. if you want accuracy go for a ruger, ive owned 2 10/22s and in stock form they shoot great, but most aftermarket clips and stocks tend to kill the reliability and accuracy

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                        Just buy a Ruger 10/22. The Remington 597 is the biggest piece of junk out there, the Marlin, while a decent rifle, has easily one of the worst trigger systems in a 22 rifle and the Ruger just works and you can slap a scope on it and plink all day long.

Get the Ruger.
                        Why don't you like the 597? My cousin bought me one like 6 years ago for Christmas, and although i haven't shot it that much, it doesn't seem to be too bad.

I also have a Savage Arms Model 120 Series A, that i can't seem to find any information on. The thing just looks old.
                        Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

Okay, here is the deal. I'm a Marlin Fanboy, I'll toot the Marlin Firearm horn as long as I live, but that's only because they produce the BEST lever action rifles on the market. Their autoloading .22s and their bolt 22s are GOOD, but they aren't the BEST. There is a difference. The Marlin model 60 is a classic, it's a solid gun that will run forever if you treat it nice.

Here is my issue with it: I don't like the entire trigger group and feeding mechanism. Every major spring and component in that firearm is sandwiched between two pieces of stamped sheet metal and doing anything to those parts means you disassembling the entire mechanism. Yes, you can clean it by removing the entire assembly from the bottom of the receiver and just blowing it with compressed air and BAM, all that unburnt powder and grime is now gone. Add some CLP and presto, cleaned and lubed. Now, you want to clean up the trigger, make it nice, prepare to become enraged. The plastic buffer in the rear of this assembly is know to crack and shatter, littering the action with chunks of plastic. Also, the hammer spring strut and guide are know to fail after so many rounds, causing the firearm to simple stop working. Those are the issues I have with it. It's simple parts fatigue and failure. Does this stop the gun from becoming awesome? No, not really, it just becomes a gun I don't want to own.

Are you happy with yours? I hope so, they work just fine. Do you want to buy one? Go ahead, I won't stop you at all, in fact I would hold it up there among the better autoloading 22s.

The King of the Hill is still the Ruger 10/22 though. Sorry, there is a reason why that gun has the support it does. The triggers can be made awesome, it accepts all sorts of detachable box magazines, the better ones are with the metal feed lips, like the factory 10 rounders. They are accurate, easy to take apart, the barrels are easily removed to easy maintenance to the chamber and extractor slot. There is no plastic buffer and there are enough stock options to make one gun look like it just raided a terrorist HQ and have the next one look like it fell out of a fucking Flamingo. All Ruger 22s even have a firing pin stop, so you can dry fire your .22 without having your chamber burr over. OH RUGER, HOW AWESOME YOU ARE.

Do I sound like an arrogant cunt? You know it. If you want a .22, go Ruger, Marlin or Savage, all the rest are either garbage or overpriced. Autoloaders, get the Ruger, leveractions get the Marlin and Bolt Actions get the Savage.

As for feeding issues with the Ruger 10/22, Corey, I rarely see feeding issues with them with factory or steel-lipped magazines. If you're going to buy a cheap magazine and feed the gun garbage ammo, then yeah, the gun isn't going to function and people on the internet will naturally complain.

Corey, either get the 10/22 or the M60, just please, don't buy the 957.

But hey, what the fuck do I know about guns?
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the response, and the reasoning. Lever action looks like a nice piece but not looking to spend that much. I think im sold on the 10/22.

Comment

Working...
                            X