Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This Joe Paterno thing just won't go away.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Joe Paterno thing just won't go away.

Apparently the NCAA might shut down Penn State's football program because of the child abuse sex scandal.

NEW YORK (AP) — The president of the NCAA says he isn't ruling out the possibility of shutting down the Penn State football program in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.

In a PBS interview Monday night, NCAA President Mark Emmert said he doesn't want to "take anything off the table" if the NCAA determines penalties against Penn State are warranted.

Emmert said he's "never seen anything as egregious as this in terms of just overall conduct and behavior inside a university." He added, "What the appropriate penalties are, if there are determinations of violations, we'll have to decide."

The last time the NCAA shut down a football program with the so-called "death penalty" was in the 1980s, when SMU was forced to drop the sport because of extra benefits violations. After the NCAA suspended the SMU program for a year, the school decided not to play in 1988, either, as it tried to regroup.

"This is completely different than an impermissible benefits scandal like (what) happened at SMU, or anything else we've dealt with. This is as systemic a cultural problem as it is a football problem. There have been people that said this wasn't a football scandal," Emmert said.

"Well, it was more than a football scandal, much more than a football scandal. It was that but much more. And we'll have to figure out exactly what the right penalties are. I don't know that past precedent makes particularly good sense in this case, because it's really an unprecedented problem."
    http://www.chron.com/news/article/NC...St-3712909.php

And now there are people who are trying to get his statue torn down.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Joe Paterno’s name is losing his luster, whether it’s the tent city outside Beaver Stadium where students camp out for prime football tickets or the name associated with his alma mater’s football coach job.

“Paternoville” is out, swapped for “Nittanyville” on Monday. So respected was Paterno that another university — Brown, the late coach’s alma mater — had attached his name to its coaching job. That too ended.

In a matter of months, the once unimpeachable Paterno name has become an albatross to be shed rather than an honor. The tainted reputation results from a scathing report by former FBI director Louis Freeh that concluded Paterno helped cover up child sex abuse allegations against former assistant Jerry Sandusky.

It’s even tarnished the bronze statue of Paterno that had been a rallying point for students in the months since Sandusky’s November arrest touched off a scandal as notable for its breathtaking allegations as its place: Happy Valley.

On Tuesday, a small plane pulled a banner over State College reading, “Take the statue down or we will.”

Nike took Paterno’s name off a child care center on its corporate campus on Thursday, the same day the Freeh report was released. Company founder Phil Knight — whose rousing defense of Paterno at a memorial service after his death drew thunderous applause — said in statement that “it appears Joe made missteps that led to heartbreaking consequences. I missed that Joe missed it.”

The halo that had floated above Paterno’s head in a State College mural was removed Saturday. In its place the artist added a blue ribbon in support of child abuse awareness.

And a Connecticut middle school said it would paint over its own mural of Paterno.

Although there was some negative reaction to Paterno immediately after Sandusky’s arrest — the Big Ten dropped Paterno’s name from the conference championship trophy where it had been next to that of Amos Alonzo Stagg, who won almost 100 fewer games — the pace has picked up since the Freeh report was released.

The Paterno statue outside Beaver Stadium has been a point of much contention. Critics have called for the statue to be taken down after the Freeh report concluded that Paterno was aware of a 1998 allegations against Sandusky — in contrast to his grand jury testimony and an interview given after his firing — and that he was involved in the decision to not report a 2001 incident to the authorities even after his superiors had decided to.

The Freeh report raised the culpability of Paterno and former university President Graham Spanier to the same level as two other key figures: former Vice President Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley.

Both Schultz and Curley await trial on charges of perjury and failure to report suspected child abuse. A judge on Monday set an Aug. 16 court date for oral arguments on pretrial motions.

Spanier is not charged.
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colle...no-statue.html

TOO LONG? DIDN'T READ? NO ONE SEEMS TO LIKE JOE PATERNO ANYMORE.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Judging by all that, id say the same thing lol...
    -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
    https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
    I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
    -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

You know that jerry sandusky was putting his yang in boys. Joe paterno and other members of the admin covered it up to save the football program. Everything prior to that is a complete loss. If penn state knows whats good for them they will disconect completely from his name and legacy.
      Sergeant Sergeant Master Sergeant Shooter Person

MS Paint " Its like painting with a sauce covered piece of pasta".

Official In Crowd member.

Comment

From the NCAA.

The Penn State penalty is:

- $60,000,000 fine

- Banned from post season for 4 years

- 4 year scolarship reduction

- 1998-2011 looses all wins

- 5 years probation period

- Further Investigation
        sigpic

Comment

Why a scholarship reduction?
          I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
            I'm assuming so they take less people into their football program via scholarships.

Also, the athletic director and the VP of finance are facing criminal charges as well as a few others involved in the cover up.
            sigpic

Comment

In college football each team can recruit 25 players prior to the season. Because of the reduction penn state can only bring in 5 new players a year. This is a crushing blow. No player is going to wan to play at this school. Most of the current players will leave. The school will put out a team of walk ons when all is said and done. To those of you who think the players are innocent this has nothing to do with them. In a way this is like clayton and adam running a meth lab under clayton offroad. The DEA comes in and shuts it down and your mad because zulo and hux lost their jobs. This is bigger than football. Its about the school attempting to remain in contention for students as an educational institution.
              Sergeant Sergeant Master Sergeant Shooter Person

MS Paint " Its like painting with a sauce covered piece of pasta".

Official In Crowd member.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlleen View Post
                In college football each team can recruit 25 players prior to the season. Because of the reduction penn state can only bring in 5 new players a year. This is a crushing blow. No player is going to wan to play at this school. Most of the current players will leave. The school will put out a team of walk ons when all is said and done. To those of you who think the players are innocent this has nothing to do with them. In a way this is like clayton and adam running a meth lab under clayton offroad. The DEA comes in and shuts it down and your mad because zulo and hux lost their jobs. This is bigger than football. Its about the school attempting to remain in contention for students as an educational institution.
                Oh FOOTBALL scholarships. Should have specified Phillip
                I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

sigpic

Comment

wait, seriously?
                    mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
                    2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
                    and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Originally posted by Lawn Guyland View Post
                      wait, seriously?
                      Jon must have thought that the NCAA was going to cut the scholarships to the soccer and field hockey programs, and the slew of other academic scholarships as well.
                      sigpic

Comment

All i got was adam and clayton are running a meth lab???
                        Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by Carlleen View Post
                          You know that jerry sandusky was putting his yang in boys. Joe paterno and other members of the admin covered it up to save the football program. Everything prior to that is a complete loss. If penn state knows whats good for them they will disconect completely from his name and legacy.
                          x2.

I think the idea is to not only punish Penn State, but to send a message out to other schools that covering up things like this in order to preserve a reputation is not a good idea.
                          -Josh

2000 Jeep Cherokee 2" lift, 30x9.5 General Grabber AT2

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                            From the NCAA.

Comment

Me and my brother talked about this (he plays college ball), sandusky and all the people involved in the scandal deserve to rot in hell. There is no question about that.

But all of those football players that have worked tirelessly for their entire lives to play division 1 college football (that doesn't just get handed to you) are basically so fucked. That's probably the worst hand you could ever be dealt. Those upperclassmen just had EVERYTHING taken away from them. period.

It's hard for someone who isn't that involved in something to see that. Football players, live football. It is their life and their very being. And to have something like that and the future that some of those players had taken away from them like that has got to be absolutely devastating.

That's my only comment on that.
                              No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Working...
                              X