X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been pulled over many times for tires, always warnings
    dirty30

Comment

I have seached for and have yet to find requirements on tire coverage.I have had some cops tell me that im fine,and thats its legal and all i have to worry about is having under 4 inches of lift.
      I have had other cops pull me over and give me warnings.Does anyone here know where to search to see the actual requirements for tire coverage.?

Comment

Originally posted by hoggie101 View Post
        at first i did get a ticket for them but then the cop saw that i had an old issuance paper for june not july and he "gave me a break" and warned me for the tires and wroght me up for the not having a vaild issuance card in the jeep i think im going to make rubber fenders that bend up when im driving then when i stop fold down and cover my whole tire
        I did that and they were the ugliest thing every and I took them off like 3 months ago. They probably look the best they could, but were just ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by armadasx View Post
          I have seached for and have yet to find requirements on tire coverage.I have had some cops tell me that im fine,and thats its legal and all i have to worry about is having under 4 inches of lift.
          I have had other cops pull me over and give me warnings.Does anyone here know where to search to see the actual requirements for tire coverage.?
          i think Sec. 14-104. Fenders and other wheel protectors.

No person shall operate on any public highway any motor vehicle with a passenger or commercial registration which is not equipped with fenders on all wheels which come into contact with the highway unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle.
          up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
          eliminator MJ - Sold
          99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
          Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Well thats not vague enough.

Comment

i had an issue with it one my solution was to total my jeep that weeken . but it is rare but some nut swinger cops will bust balls sucks just happens.
              Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

i've only gotten warnings for my tires so far. even without flares i really don't have a problem
                94 xj 4.0L, AW4, 242
                3" rusty's lift, 33x12.5 bfg km2's, custom front bumper

Comment

Originally posted by armadasx View Post
                  go to neow.net, it's either them or the ne4wd assoc that has a section on the forum for individual state lift laws
                  1992 xj Briarwood
                  Disconnect d30 5.13 Super 35 kit 5.13 36x14x18 TSL's
                  Welded front and rear
                  13' LED roof lights
                  Disco ball
                  Truck nuts
                  Spinners

Comment

Depends on what they go buy if you go by the composite vehicle inspection, the fender most completely cover the tire tread from the top to the back 90º so even stock vehicles need mud flaps.
                    Most cops are lenient up to the 2" sticking out, that I've heard.
                    (just tell them you don't drive it in the rain)

As for the lift most will go by the bumper height set forth in the composite vehicle requirements which I think is 25" for a car and 30" for a truck. Then there are light heights etc. just search DMV for composite vehicle inspections.

Then for the lesser know laws and harder to find. I think they are the DOT or something like that I've found them before that is the lift law and it you can only alter a vehicle height by 4" and that is where the noise level and tint stuff can be found.
                    All I remember with the noise they have to use a trained officer with a DB sensor as you drive 30mph 50ft away in an open area so no noise to bounce back.

I'll have to search for it again.
                    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

If your getting pulled over for your tires sticking out in ct, please for your sake don't drive it in RI. Tires must be completely covered in width by flares as well as mud flaps must be installed to prevent any vehicle behind you being sprayed with anything (salt, dirt, mud, rain). Me and all my friends in ri have received tickets for this thus why I sadly had to put bushwackers on. oh and you get charged per axle so no flares= 2x the fine

Comment

you get charged per tire in CT... 96x4=
                        Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                        some people choose video games
                        some choose projects
                        some choose welding random things together

Comment

shoreline cops are the worst from say.. guilford to old saybrook.. if you're driving around rt1 with tires hanging out be prepared to get your balls busted!

Comment

Sec. 14-104. Fenders and other wheel protectors. (a) No person shall operate on any public highway any motor vehicle with a passenger or commercial registration which is not equipped with fenders on all wheels which come into contact with the highway unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle.

(b) No person shall operate or cause to be operated any bus, truck, truck-tractor, full trailer or semitrailer of registered gross weight exceeding three tons on any public highway unless the same is equipped with suitable metal protectors or substantial flexible flaps behind the rearmost wheels, and, in case the rear wheels are not covered at the top and rear by fender, body or other parts of the vehicle, the rear wheels shall be covered at the top and rear by protective means of such standard type or design and so installed as to reduce, as far as practicable, such wheels from throwing dirt, water or other materials on the windshields of following vehicles, except in cases in which the motor vehicle is so designed and constructed that the above requirements are accomplished by reason of the fender or body construction or other means of enclosure.

(c) Violation of any provision of this section shall be an infraction.

From the composite requirements
                            FENDERS - Fenders are required over front and rear tires. Front and rear fenders must come at least half way down the rear of the tire, to the center of the axle and must start at a line directly above the axle, or be equipped with suitable mud flaps and all fenders must cover entire tread width of the tire.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap2...#Sec14-104.htm

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/R-157.pdf
                            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by Pdwighty View Post
                              If your getting pulled over for your tires sticking out in ct, please for your sake don't drive it in RI. Tires must be completely covered in width by flares as well as mud flaps must be installed to prevent any vehicle behind you being sprayed with anything (salt, dirt, mud, rain). Me and all my friends in ri have received tickets for this thus why I sadly had to put bushwackers on. oh and you get charged per axle so no flares= 2x the fine
                              Never been pulled over in RI in 3 yrs for tires. :fingers crossed:
                              94 xj 4.0L, AW4, 242
                              3" rusty's lift, 33x12.5 bfg km2's, custom front bumper

Comment

my tires stick out like crazy and ive never had one issue. ive been pulled over for speeding and even got into an accident like last year and theyve never bothered me about them. i run no flares either.
                                Watch your backhoe, I'm the John Deere man.

Comment

Working...
                                X