Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vehicle buying time

For my mother.

Trying to help her decide on a vehicle, she currently owns an 09 Impreza hatch. She traded it in a few years ago because she scored a good deal, but has grown tired of the downsize in cargo room, and lack of ground clearance compared to her old Outback wagon. Our driveway is fairly steep, and sometimes doesn't get plowed in the winter time right away. Not to mention, the gas milage isn't very impressive considering the size of the car itself, and engine size.

Initially, I'm thinking she should just pick up another Outback wagon. Subaru has served my family well as far as reliability and fairing the winter weather. She suggested possibly a Grand Cherokee, unsure of what year. It would have plenty of cargo room, and be great in the snow, but I'm not sure how milage would compare to that of a Subaru wagon (assuming the 4.7). Also thought of a Tribeca, but I'm thinking that the improvement in cargo room compared to the Outback would go unused, and milage would suffer because of the 6 cyl.

Open to any suggestions, regardless of make. The main criteria would be:
    -decent milage (20mpg avg. at the least)
    -respectable ground clearance
    -good cargo room
    -reliability
    -at least 4wd capability (AWD would be a plus)
    -between $15-25k
    Last edited by Even; 06-08-2011, 07:40 PM.

jeep patriot
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
      jeep patriot
      That's actually almost exactly what she's looking for. I had no idea the Patriot came with an I-4.

Researching that subject, It seems like she would be better off buying the 2.4 compared the the 2.0. The increase in fuel milage is very minimal compared to the increase in power and torque. Depending on the price, the 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty is also a big plus.

Comment

first thing that came to mind, brand loyalty aside was the patriot.

i think its ugly, but it suits what you said to a T
        - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

I can't believe i'm suggesting these, but Kia Sorento or Ford Escape. Both very nice to drive, good on gas, have good room, and have good power for 4cyl engines
          P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
          2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
          OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

4-runner

not gonna beat reliability there. 20+ mpg good clearance and cargo room
            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

example : http://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/2391693620.html
              "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                4-runner

why not an xj or koh buggy????
                - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                  why not an xj or koh buggy????
                  such an ignorant thing to say

Comment

4-runner

No doubting reliability with Toyota, but because of that prices are a little on the high side considering the milage on those cars. Don't get me wrong, I love the 4.0 Toyota offers, but I feel like you would be lucky to get 20mpg combined out of that motor.

Comment

double

Comment

Originally posted by Even View Post
                        No doubting reliability with Toyota, but because of that prices are a little on the high side considering the milage on those cars. Don't get me wrong, I love the 4.0 Toyota offers, but I feel like you would be lucky to get 20mpg combined out of that motor.
                        my pops has a '09 tacoma x-cab 4.0 auto. he gets 20+ mixed

Comment

Ford is out of the question according to her. ()

I looked into the Kia Sorento, and the Patriot still seems like a better choice in comparison. Keep em coming!

my pops has a '09 tacoma x-cab 4.0 auto. he gets 20+ mixed
                          Interesting... I'll definetly run that by her. I had a good friend of mine with an 09 Tacoma and I LOVED that motor. Thanks!
                          Last edited by Even; 06-08-2011, 09:08 PM.

Comment

4.0 is niiiccceeee

Comment

used Audi Allroad, to stay in the "car" vein?

Or if a mini-ute is the way she wants to go, x2 on Patriot.
                              2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                              MK2 Jetta > M3
                              Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Working...
                              X