Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody 'round these parts handy with a spray gun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody 'round these parts handy with a spray gun?

NOT RATTLE CANNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can rattle caaaaaaaan with the best of em, but I have never ever used a spray gun to paint car panels.

def want a coat and clear coat..or maybe one of those single stage jobs? (educate me?) just doin the factory paint again.

I may need to get new fenders, was wonderin if anyone could help me out with the process of paintin (may entertain the idea of shootin the hood as well, and maybe doors)
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

i've never actually painted but have watched a fair share of shows on body work/read mags. a good paint job is all in the prep work. sand, sand and sand some more. while spraying always spray PAST the panel you are doing, so as not to create build up on the edges.

those single stage paints sound like a good deal. ian's came out great. i'm not sure how well they would match your factory paint though unless you sprayed the whole thing or faded it. you may or may not have to get the color mixed, i'm not really sure.

also where you spray matters. if you use your garage put plastic sheeting up and stuff to keep contaminants out. also humidity is your enemy. if you use a normal air compressor they have filters that take out the moisture in the air. you do not want humid air running through your gun screwing up the mixture.

anyway i'm sure there are people with more experience than i. just food for thought
    I drive a Datsun

Comment

we single stage sprayed a replacement fender i got back in the day, had the paint mixed at a local paint shop to factory color...we didnt blend or anything crazy and it came out "good enough" for me. im not too insane about a perfect match, but obviously it should be close
      - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

im pretty good ive painted a car and a hood for my wrangler came out good did my friends spoiler on his eclipse too and came out sweet. I refinish furniture so i spray shit all day long.
        01 tj

Comment

Originally posted by ErikVilla View Post
          im pretty good ive painted a car and a hood for my wrangler came out good did my friends spoiler on his eclipse too and came out sweet. I refinish furniture so i spray shit all day long.
          what would you charge?

money?

beer? other forms of currency?

stratford is mighty close
          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

my pops paints alot, painted his harley and his samurai recently

weve got the hvlp gun, dehumidifiers i think and masks and shit, i could ask him if youd like
            dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
              my pops paints alot, painted his harley and his samurai recently

weve got the hvlp gun, dehumidifiers i think and masks and shit, i could ask him if youd like
              plz do
              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                plz do
                Yessir, ill talk to him tomorrow when i see him
                dirty30

Comment

I have 2 HVLP guns but even with 2 water separators it will work for 20 minutes before shooting water through it
                  I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Ive painted a lot. love to paint actually. got out of school for auto body and did some custom stuff and wanted to be a painter. the teacher favored a kid that sucked and he got the jobs. Pissed me off. anyway, I have a new sharpe gun. not sure when your looking to do something, but I may be able to help
                    Dan.
                    2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
                    www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

i got the spray booth at my shop the painter there is chill as all hell he did my xj with the flat black for a 30 rack lol. you and i can do all the prep work sanding taping bondo if you wanna get nuts!!!!!. and i'll see what he wants maybe two thirty racks cause he doesnt know you lol
                      Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                        I have 2 HVLP guns but even with 2 water separators it will work for 20 minutes before shooting water through it
                        you need a pretty manly water separater to get and keep the water out. My friend does a lot of painting but has a ton of shit on his plate at the moment.
                        1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                        1999 sierra
                        1967 M725 Big and Slow
                        -Dan

Comment

buy a decent gun and do base coat/clear coat(few coats of clear), it will last longer and with a few coats of clear you'll have room to wet sand imperfects out! oh and use a good primer.

Comment

I CAN PAINT THANGS
                            Sergeant Sergeant Master Sergeant Shooter Person

MS Paint " Its like painting with a sauce covered piece of pasta".

Official In Crowd member.

Comment

Originally posted by clean4drxj View Post
                              buy a decent gun and do base coat/clear coat(few coats of clear), it will last longer and with a few coats of clear you'll have room to wet sand imperfects out! oh and use a good primer.
                              Truth but this is a wheeling vehicle. I spent so much time on my xj sanding and priming. First wheeling run I lay it into a tree. Lol
                              Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Working...
                              X