Kimber .22 LR Conversion Kit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kimber .22 LR Conversion Kit.

This was probably the biggest impulse buy I've ever had in recent years. I had heard good things about the conversion kit but never really put any thought into buying one. I casually tossed the idea around of shooting my 1911 'cheaply' but I never acted on it until this week when it came up in conversation and I just decided to buy one on the spot.

So, my boss called up Kimber direct and they sent me one. It cost me $264 with tax and everything and it is SO worth it. I'm pretty damn excited that I Purchased it.

Obligatory PICS.

The conversion unit replaces the entire slide.

The slide itself is made of Aluminum and the finish on it is okay, though a little too 'Jon Gloss' for me, but I deal. The bull barrel absorbs heat really well and the target crown at the end is great. The entire .22 top end works on the same principle as the 45 slide with the barrel bushing though does not have a full length guide rod.

All you have to do is remove the old slide, slide the new conversion unit on, install the slide release and you're good to go. Ridiculously easy because it stays together as all one assembly.

The Rear Target Sight with the firing pin and firing pin plate being of the same concept of the regular 45 ACP slide.

The barrel mouth and feed ramp with the staked ejector.

Then today was Range day and Nick and I decided to head to the shooting range to get some trigger time (so when you guys begin to revolt, us moderators can batter you back down ) and to test out the new conversion unit. I have to say, right out of the box it shot great. I did not adjust the sights at ALL, so right now it is shooting a little bit low.

This was Nick's first time shooting, so disregard his attempt on the left, just worry about the group in the center and right. This target was hanging at 25 feet away and we were using Winchester 40 grain Target .22 LR.

One of the beefs I have with this conversion unit is the Plastic magazines. I've come to deal with plastic magazines after seeing how reliable Magpul Pmags are, but I'm still on the fence with this Kimber magazine. I with the magazine feed lips were made of steel, but you can't have everything. Also, retail on new magazines are about $25-$30 a piece, a little steep for a 10 round plastic magazine. Hopefully I can pull some strings at Kimber and get them a little cheaper.

Also, another beef I have with the conversion is there is no hold open. While you can use the normal slide release to hold the bolt open, when the last round is fired, there is nothing to force the slide release up and hold the slide open. There is a firing pin stop, so you can drop the hammer on an empty chamber and not damage the barrel itself with the firing pin. It would be nice to have a last shot hold open, but I'll deal. At least you can lock the slide back manually.

Disassembled and parts.

sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Awesome day at the range

Having the .22 kit for the .45 just means you can spend more time shooting and waste less money haha

And for those of you who question my grouping, Phil can attest that i can double tap the center mass without much issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
      Awesome day at the range

Having the .22 kit for the .45 just means you can spend more time shooting and waste less money haha

And for those of you who question my grouping, Phil can attest that i can double tap the center mass without much issue.
      ...And it was your first time shooting at a target instead of into a tube. We just need some more range time.
      sigpic

Comment

exactly, the tube is just for ordinance testing

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
          exactly, the tube is just for ordinance testing
          Yup, from full autos to African Hunting Cartridges.
          sigpic

Comment

I love your 1911 and this conversion kit is awesome. Keep these gun posts coming i love em.

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
              I love your 1911 and this conversion kit is awesome. Keep these gun posts coming i love em.
              Thanks dude, it's probably my favorite pistol, too. I'll never part with it.

As for the gun posts, as long as people keep bringing me cool shit, I'll take pictures of them and post 'em up!
              sigpic

Comment

looks good, i love shooting 22 pistol

Comment

2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                  MK2 Jetta > M3
                  Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

looks good Phill!!!!

I was going to buy this kit... but i just got the sig mosquito for around the same price.

I'll have a Marlin 39a to bring to the range soon.... went 2 a few gun stores today and couldnt find one.

but i did get some tactical solution goodies for the ruger 10/22
                    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                      looks good Phill!!!!

I was going to buy this kit... but i just got the sig mosquito for around the same price.

I'll have a Marlin 39a to bring to the range soon.... went 2 a few gun stores today and couldnt find one.

but i did get some tactical solution goodies for the ruger 10/22

Are you going to be around on the 27th? I made a shooting day thread in the Events forum.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                        Are you going to be around on the 27th? I made a shooting day thread in the Events forum.
                        weekend of my GF's birthday...... sooooo i'll try to sneak it in
                        "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                          weekend of my GF's birthday...... sooooo i'll try to sneak it in
                          Ahhhh you're killin me!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X