Stock Gears + rear driveshaft removed + 36" tires = bang clunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Gears + rear driveshaft removed + 36" tires = bang clunk

....so, i removed my rear driveshaft to take it to see how much it would cost to get it repaired (way too much). i was moving my truck driving with the front end only and i let the clutch out too quick and hit the gas while cornering, because i heard bang clunk clunk, truck screeched to a hault and stalled.

I got the truck in the shop, removed the front diff cover and was presented with this

the stock 3.73 gears 7.5" ring gear don't like 36" tires. i destroyed estimated 15-20 teeth between the ring and pinion
    -Ryan

Rigs:
    07 Toyota Tacoma, 4.0L V6, 6spd Man., 3" Susp. Lift on 33x11.5" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, Plenty of Light and Exhaust mods too - SOLD IT!!
    94 Toyota Pickup/w'93 yota body, 3.0L V6, 5spd Man., Body swapped, Removeable Doors, Rear Locker, 36x13-16 Bias TSLs on 16x7" steel wheels, rock sliders, Custom bed and start of Roll Cage

THAT IS SO AWESOME.

Carnage on the street.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I pulled my front dif yesterday. This is what I found... 4.56s on 36s

Comment

moral of the story is... 36" TSL's = destroyed front axles
        I drive a Datsun

Comment

Damnnn
          01 tj

Comment

Originally posted by Pdwighty View Post
            I pulled my front dif yesterday. This is what I found... 4.56s on 36s
            Holy crap... At least the ring gear looks ok

Comment

LEAD GEARS FTW
              I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

but the tire is only 3 inches bigger than a 33...how much more stress can there be?

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                  LEAD GEARS FTW
                  LOL. I love lead gears. They wouldn't chip or break though, they would simply...deform into useless lumps of malleable metal.
                  sigpic
                  Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Working...
                  X