X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy your Kevlars now...

'Cause Goodyear is Downsizing.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...eliminating-1/

Goodyear's plant manager placed its bad-news call to City Hall at 7:58 a.m. Thursday: The Union City plant where 1,900 employees make radial tires will close by year's end.

"We were just all surprised, I guess," City Clerk Carolyn Moran said, adding most everyone in this border town of 10,200 knows someone who works at the plant four miles north of City Hall.

Union City sits at the Kentucky line, 115 miles northeast of Memphis. The area unemployment rate is 9.9 percent.

Goodyear's fourth-quarter earnings report, released Thursday, disclosed the Akron, Ohio-based company will take a one-time $160 million charge related to the plant closing.

Goodyear Chairman and CEO Richard Kramer said in the release: "While we are committed to manufacturing in North America, all of our plants must be cost-competitive and be able to demonstrate sustainable, world-class productivity."

"That is not the case with this plant, and as a result, the market has moved beyond what the factory is able to build."

The news confirmed the fears of many in the region.

"I guess it's a surprise that it happened as soon as it happened, but we all had known because of its unprotected status that something like this could happen," Mayor Terry Hailey said.

He referred to the last contract agreement between Goodyear and the United Steelworkers, which didn't protect the plant from shutting down.

"Obviously, it's a severe blow to the community," said Hailey, a local radio station manager who's been part-time mayor the past 22 years.

The effects of the closing will radiate beyond Union City and Obion County; workers commuted from the entire region, Hailey said.

In Nashville, state Rep. Bill Sanderson of nearby Kenton rose on the House floor to express his disappointment, pointing out that the closing imperiled not only jobs at the factory, but also at businesses that depended on Goodyear's operations. "Hundreds of millions of dollars" would be lost in the region because of the closing, the Republican said.

Gov. Bill Haslam said the Goodyear closure is a "huge hit" for an area already plagued by high unemployment.

"I don't know yet what we can do but I can promise you we're going to focus a lot of attention there," Haslam said after a luncheon speech Thursday.

"We obviously haven't had time to put a strategy in place there but we understand how serious that is for the area and we will work hard at trying to alleviate that," the governor said.

A United Steelworkers Local 878L official declined to comment until all its members had been informed of Goodyear's announcement.

But the local posted a message on its website Thursday:

"This morning Plant Management called the Union Negotiating Committee to the plant and announced intentions for plant shutdown. "They will be announcing this to the members today. Plans are to run at the current production levels until towards the end of the year. There are no plans for a ramp down in production levels."

The plant opened in 1968, Hailey said.

Union City still has other substantial employers, including a Kohler plumbing fixtures plant, Tyson Foods, a Lennox Hearth Products plant, and Williams Sausages.

"Hopefully, we can attract somebody else as soon as we can," Hailey said. "We certainly will have an available workforce.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

it's not suprising... next move will be out of the country maybe!

Comment

Chicom MTRs? They only stick to oppressed civilians when wheeling.
      sigpic

Comment

we can not let bfg win this is bull shit
        Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by dizzy View Post
          we can not let bfg win this is bull shit
          gotta hand it to BFG, they put a LOTTT of money into our industry, donations as well
          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
          Originally posted by DizzDizz
          aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
            gotta hand it to BFG, they put a LOTTT of money into our industry, donations as well
            Agreed. They know what they are doing.
            sigpic

Comment

Goodyear will definitely have some business this year, both 1st & 2nd place at KOH run Goodyears
              mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
              2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
              and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

The Goodyear sweatshirts at KOH this year were pretty obnoxious though...
                sigpic

Comment

some people think being obnoxious will make you stand out
                  mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
                  2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
                  and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

That explains Lime Green cages...
                    sigpic

Comment

BFG will forever stand on the top in this world. Yea those MT/R's were sticky, but on super dry socal rocks...... i wanna see if they can run with the krawlers back here at good ol rausch creek in may
                      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by JeepBabiiXJ View Post
                        BFG will forever stand on the top in this world. Yea those MT/R's were sticky, but on super dry socal rocks...... i wanna see if they can run with the krawlers back here at good ol rausch creek in may
                        Depends...what if RC is really dry?
                        sigpic

Comment

COME ON!!!!

Two things I wanted when I came home were 35 MTR's and a Saiga 12. Both of which I received bad news about....and both from Phil for the record
                          I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

COME ON!!!!

Two things I wanted when I came home were 35 MTR's and a Saiga 12. Both of which I received bad news about....and both from Phil for the record
                            I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                              COME ON!!!!

What can I say, I'm just a Harbinger of Doom.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X