Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pretty fascinating article about Everest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty fascinating article about Everest.

I guess everyone knows of the Mountain's perils and how the Death Zone quickly takes people's lives, but would you ever think those who perish are left there where the fall, literally littering the Mountain with corpses?

http://godheadv.blogspot.com/2010/04...n-everest.html

For decades, this rope had taken climbers within a few feet of what became known as Green Boots cave. A small limestone overhang located at 8500 m, it was already infamous among climbers for the same reason it earned its nickname. For the past ten years, the body of a climber who died in 1996 has been a grim landmark for every climber of the Northeast route, lying curled up in the fetal position, wearing fluorescent green mountaineering boots.

An area along the northeast route to the summit has earned the unassuming nickname of "Rainbow Valley", simply because of the multicolored down jackets of the numerous corpses littering the hillside. Even in the harsh conditions of lethal altitudes, corpses can remain for decades, some appearing frozen in time with climbing gear intact.

I could never imagine not only climbing the mountain, but seeing the Corpses of those who have failed strewn about. It would almost be something out of a Horror film.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Idk if Id want to continue climbing after seeing that.
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

It looks like that in Manchester right now because of all the snow. Bodies everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
        It looks like that in Manchester right now because of all the snow. Bodies everywhere.

I can't wait to see what kind of Rainbow Valley Fairfield has to offer.
        sigpic

Comment

Now I know where I'm getting my new climbing gear!
          1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
          1999 sierra
          1967 M725 Big and Slow
          -Dan

Comment

good read. kinda freaked me out
            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
              good read. kinda freaked me out
              this. i cant believe that they dont have a way of getting those corpses off the mountian yet. that is FUCKED up, people climbing literally over dead bodies to get to the top, i always wanted to try this, even though it was a unattainable pipedream, but now i kinda want no part of that. knowing if i did die, id sit there on a ledge forever
              Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
              didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
              Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
              he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
              Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
              i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

Originally posted by hippie metal View Post
                this. i cant believe that they dont have a way of getting those corpses off the mountian yet. that is FUCKED up, people climbing literally over dead bodies to get to the top, i always wanted to try this, even though it was a unattainable pipedream, but now i kinda want no part of that. knowing if i did die, id sit there on a ledge forever
                LOL, we don't even have a safe way to get people ON the Mountain.

Going up Everest is a Risk, if you reach a certain altitude and die, no one is going to come get you. That's the grim reality.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
                  LOL, we don't even have a safe way to get people ON the Mountain.

Going up Everest is a Risk, if you reach a certain altitude and die, no one is going to come get you. That's the grim reality.
                  1..2..3.. PUSH.........1..2..3..PUSH
                  Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                  didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
                  Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
                  he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
                  Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
                  i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

crazy, makes me want to read the book, "Into thin air"

One reason for the recent media attention is the novelty of comparatively ordinary people venturing up a Mount Olympus formerly limited to mountaineering gods like Messner and Hillary. There are now guided trips up the mountain, fanning debate about the commercialization of Everest. Pathologists and postal workers can now follow in the footsteps of the greatest mountaineers. Purists like Hillary lament the lack of respect for the mountain, and young Turks boast they can get nearly anyone up the mountain as long as they're in decent physical shape and have $65,000 to spare.

Another reason for so much media attention is the appalling waste of human life. In May 1996, eight lost their lives in the single greatest disaster on the mountain—yet it did not stop others from attempting the climb just weeks later, resulting in four more deaths. The total for the year was fifteen. As the number of climbers grow, so does the death toll, with Everest taking down world-class climbers and novice adventurers alike.

With so many ambitious climbers determined to scale Everest, their ethics and single-minded pursuit of personal glory have come under criticism. In 2006, more than 40 climbers were believed to have passed by a dying British climber on their way to the summit—none came to his aid. It is true that helping a gravely ill or injured climber while in Everest's death zone could very well jeopardize one's own life. It is also true that it is grossly unfair when climbers have had to sacrifice their own dreams of climbing Everest in order to rescue irresponsible and poorly prepared individuals who never should have been on the mountain in the first place. But one wonders how such a climber sleeps at night, knowing he left another to die, whatever the reason. As Hillary remarked about the incident, "I think the whole attitude towards climbing Mount Everest has become rather horrifying. The people just want to get to the top. They don't give a damn for anybody else who may be in distress."
                    "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

People see getting to the summit of Everest as their Greatest Achievement, and I doubt they will let some weaker human prevent that. It's more than just reaching the picnic table sized pinnacle, it's about Ego.
                      sigpic

Comment

I would absolutely love to climb Everest and I really do not think I would have a problem with walking by a dying person on Everest. As it said in the article people have died trying to save others there and I dont know if i could do that for a stranger. Who knows though, crazy stuff happens when you are in high altitude.

Comment

Working...
                        X