Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When a professor doesn't read the school policy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a professor doesn't read the school policy.

So my chemistry Professor gave us a test yesterday (Monday). Next week is finals.

In the Penn State School policy it states. (an exerpt)
    44-20 Final Examination Policy Print This Policy

To provide for student integration of instructional material, end-of-semester evaluation of student performance, and instruction extending to the end of the scheduled period, course instructors shall:

3. Schedule no examinations during the last week of classes. (Quizzes and narrowly limited tests in support of classroom instruction worth no more than ten percent of the semester grade may be given during the last week of classes.)

Exceptions to the provisions of this policy may be granted only for educational reasons and only as recommended by the faculty of the program offering the course and approved by the appropriate dean or chancellor.
    So there I sit in my room last night ofter taking that brutal test... Check my email and he says something like

"It has been brought to my attention that I cannot give a test the week prior to final examinations, or they should not be worth more than 10% of the grade... so since this test was supposed to be 15% of the overall grade I am dropping the test to 10% of the final grade and giving you an assignment due Friday to make up for the 5%."

My question is... Am I out of line to think that since this is his screw up we (the students) should not take the hit from the homework??? after all EVERYTHING IS DUE THIS WEEK!!! This homework isn't some walk in the park either... it is 20 LONG ASS problems plus an essay.

My opinion is that that 5% should go towards something, I don't know, like a curve or the homework can be for extra credit or something...THIS IS NOT OUR PHAWKING FAULT YA JACK WAGON!!!
    Last edited by SupermanIce-J; 12-07-2010, 09:52 PM.
    2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
    • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
    • 4.0/42rle/np241or
    • 5.13's
    • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
    • 33” BFG KO2s

Originally posted by Supermanxj View Post
    "It has been brought to my attention that I cannot give a test the week prior to final examinations, or they should not be worth more than 10% of the grade... so since this test was supposed to be 15% of the overall grade I am dropping the test to 10% of the final grade and giving you an assignment due Friday to make up for the 5%."!
    Sounds like him passing the buck to me. For some reason it also sounds like a professor that wont give a shit if anyone complains.

Definitely bogus/poor judgment no matter how you slice it
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

fawk that.
      mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
      2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
      and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

Comment

Here's a novel concept:

Do well on the homework and it won't matter how much of your final grade it is worth.
        sigpic
        Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Here is a novel concept...

If you are a professor at a world known college, know the school policy before you schedule a test. Also, use ethics when determining how to fix YOUR mistake.

While I agree with you statement Phil... that is not the point of this arguement. He screwed up and is putting it on us. NOT MY CHAIR NOT MY PROBLEM!
          2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
          • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
          • 4.0/42rle/np241or
          • 5.13's
          • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
          • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

that's tough josh... depends how the administration would respond. our school it probably wouldn't go anywhere if we reported it cause he could have made it worth 10% and given you that assignment last minute and it wouldn't have mattered.

Comment

I say do the homework, then get everyone in the class to sign something that says the whole thing was total bullshit. Give it to the Dean. Hell, College is a learning experience right? Im a firm believer that professors should be learning too.
              "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
              It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

fuckin penn state schools

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Dont do the assignment then. Im sure he will understand and not penalize you

Comment

Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed View Post
                    I say do the homework, then get everyone in the class to sign something that says the whole thing was total bullshit. Give it to the Dean. Hell, College is a learning experience right? Im a firm believer that professors should be learning too.
                    This. Worst that could happen is they don't do anything about it but you still get credit. Usually once something like that happens the professor is watched more closely. While many schools have the tough luck attitude (mine being one) they also don't want a bad reputation. Universities are a business and in it to make money. Anything that makes them sound bad can hurt their business. Word travels fast now especially among students. This is why plagarism is such a big deal in college, it hurts their reputation.
                    Last edited by jeepkid03; 12-08-2010, 10:23 AM.
                    -Josh

2000 Jeep Cherokee 2" lift, 30x9.5 General Grabber AT2

Comment

here's a novel concept:

school is tough, sometimes you gotta stay up late and drink soda to stay awake while you type.

Whether the professor fucked up or whether he is using semantics and doctrine-loopholes, his choice to administer both assignments looks better in the eyes of the college and its director board, then if he were to just say "everyone gets 5% free."

I understand that its not your fault, but someone, aware of the policy, could have told the professor in advance. But he's got bills to pay and a respectable position to upkeep just liek da rest o us.

That being said dude i feel yinz pain, within the last 5 days ive written 80 pages of work
                      dirty30

Comment

^ What he said.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                          here's a novel concept:

school is tough, sometimes you gotta stay up late and drink soda to stay awake while you type.

Whether the professor fucked up or whether he is using semantics and doctrine-loopholes, his choice to administer both assignments looks better in the eyes of the college and its director board, then if he were to just say "everyone gets 5% free."

I understand that its not your fault, but someone, aware of the policy, could have told the professor in advance. But he's got bills to pay and a respectable position to upkeep just liek da rest o us.

That being said dude i feel yinz pain, within the last 5 days ive written 80 pages of work

So...passing the buck then.
                          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                          Originally posted by DizzDizz
                          aliens probed my husband

Comment

Or here is an idea. Stop being a whiny cunt. School is joke compared to real life.

Comment

Originally posted by CSaddict View Post
                              Or here is an idea. Stop being a whiny cunt. School is joke compared to real life.
                              Is school worth 5% or 15% of real life?
                              Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X