Kel-Tec RFB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kel-Tec RFB

Being a gunsmith isn't all that it is cracked up to be in the terms of seeing the latest and greatest Firearm Technology that is available for civilian and military use, instead, 90% of the firearms I see are the equivalent of warn out whores that I somehow have to make seem like a 21 year old street queen fresh from the whore house. My work is not in vein though, as I can accurately reproduce the original factory finish and could fool those who are not educated in the fine details.

Regardless, something came my way the other day and I was absolutely Infatuated with it. It doesn't seem like much really, it looks like just another bullpup, but this one is a bit different.

The Kel Tec RFB.

Ambidextrous Safety.

Rear Magazine well with Magazine Release and Bolt Release.

Forward Ejection Port

What I really did like about this was the overall Simplicity though and of course, being who I am, before I even shot the damn thing, I took it apart.

To disassemble the RFB, there are 4 cross pins that hold everything together.

The forward more cross pin allows the forend to rotate downwards; this allows the user to change the charging handle to either the left or right side of the firearm.

When all those pins are pushed to the right of the firearm, the lower half of the RFB can be removed.

The lower itself houses the Entire Trigger assembly and firing mechanism as well as the Magazine release and Bolt Hold Open / Release. Though Kel-Tec is known for their plastic firearms and plastic parts, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the only major plastic part was this entire lower assembly housing. Everything else was Metal, as it should be.

Hammer Springs

Hammer in the rear of the Lower Housing.

The buttstock is removed to the rear of the upper assembly, as well as the Bolt and Recoil Springs.

The Bolt and the Extractors.

The Bolt Cross pin and be slid to the side and the bolt comes out.

This is the Ejection Port Rail. Because it is an ambidextrous weapon, this Rail transports the spent brass to the front of the firearm. When the bolt closes forcing a new round into the chamber, the bolt pushes the old spent brass into this rail through this opening above the Chamber.

This rail can be easily removed for Maintenance.

Gas Port.

My problems with this firearm rely solely in the lower part of the firearm where maintenance may result in a splitting headache. Disassembling the lower doesn't seem fun at all; an overly complex menagerie of intertwined springs and pins. The upper on the other hand, is pretty awesome, to say the least. All the major parts are made of Metal and general maintenance seems extremely simple. The safety and charging handle as well as the bolt release and magazine release are all accessible for both left and right handed shooters while the charging handle has the ability to move to each side of the firearm with the push of a single pin.

The firearm itself is a bullpup, obviously, having the FAL Magazine being mounted behind the trigger, but this makes the firearm extremely small and well balanced in the hands. The gun itself has an 18.5" barrel in a package that is smaller than an M4 Carbine. It's light and goes to the shoulder quick and with the correct muzzle brake, the recoil is mild and the bark is easily tamed. This doesn't come without drawbacks though; magazine changing requires a bit more effort.

The rail on the top accepts standard bolt on AR15 sights as well as any type of scope or sight system you would want, but the gun itself doesn't come with any sights, so on top of the absurd $1800 price tag, you have to drop more for aftermarket sights.

In the end, if you want to clear rooms with a 308, this is the Gun right here. Zombies will just wish they shot themselves.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Nice gun. Too bad its black and evil.

All that bullshit aside, anything that small that packs a .308 is sure to turn my head...

Looks like a perfect urban rifle to me
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
      Nice gun. Too bad its black and evil.

All that bullshit aside, anything that small that packs a .308 is sure to turn my head...

Looks like a perfect urban rifle to me
      Yup. I may actually break down and save up for one. Going to see what other people think of them, but after taking it apart, my interest definitely went up ten fold.
      sigpic

Comment

I think that's pretty damn cool.

the fact that its a 308........ like u said, zombies would rather they stayed dead from the first time.

To me a gun like that would have one use and only one..... robbing banks 'n shit, but i'm not doing that anytime soon.
        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

i must say i am a big fan of that weapon!

Comment

Now that thing is cool and 308 ftw

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

I dont know what kind of gun it is. I only know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.
              2 tj's
              3 yj's
              2 xj's
              i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

Hey phil I remember when we went shooting and I shot your 308. That thing had a decent kick to it. Would shooting a rifle like this have the same kick as your rifle? Can imagine that would be a handful if you were rapid firing this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Hey phil I remember when we went shooting and I shot your 308. That thing had a decent kick to it. Would shooting a rifle like this have the same kick as your rifle? Can imagine that would be a handful if you were rapid firing this thing.
                  No, this hardly has a kick at all because of the pinned compensator.
                  sigpic

Comment

Kind of want this. Phil, what do they normally go for?
                    2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                    MK2 Jetta > M3
                    Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
                      Kind of want this. Phil, what do they normally go for?
                      The gun is Brand New to the Market, so the MSRP is listed at around $1800.
                      sigpic

Comment

Go figure. I can't have nice things.
                        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                        MK2 Jetta > M3
                        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by SwampAss View Post
                          Go figure. I can't have nice things.
                          LOL. I wish I could afford this thing, dude.

I've also come to the conclusion that RFB stands for 'Really Fucking Badass'. I hope that is why they called it that.
                          sigpic

Comment

does the ejector grab the rim of the case on 2 sides? hence the the whole center ejection thing huh? kinda neat, would love to add this to the collection but at $1,800 i have a few other guns i would like to purchase first
                            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                              does the ejector grab the rim of the case on 2 sides? hence the the whole center ejection thing huh? kinda neat, would love to add this to the collection but at $1,800 i have a few other guns i would like to purchase first
                              Yes, the Extractor completely straddles the case. When the round is fired and the bolt comes back, the empty brass is rotated upwards and the force of the bolt going forward pushes not only the new round into the chamber, but the old one into the ejection rail.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X