Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crime and Violence run rampant in NYC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime and Violence run rampant in NYC...

...So the cops bust up Chess Games. Nice!

NEW YORK (1010 WINS/CBS 2) — There are thousands of chess tables in New York City parks and it turns out that playing on them can be illegal depending on where they are.

This is what a group of seven Upper Manhattan men learned last month.

It appears that the Inwood Hill Seven have become pawns after being issued summonses for playing chess in the neighborhood park.

1010 WINS’ Terry Sheridan reports

The issue is the stone chess tables are in the Emerson Playground which has a warning sign stating “No Adults Without Children.”

Juan Torres and his friends have been playing chess at the tables for years. “Some of us are chess masters,” he said. “Saturdays and Sundays there are about 20 players here and we never have any complaint.”

On Oct 20. police busted up their chess game, storming in with bullet-proof vests, handing the seven players each a ticket for disobeying the park rules.

“Some of us got very outraged because there are so many things; there are a lot of assaults and robberies around and instead of checking them they’re checking this,” Torres said.

Some parents and residents who use the park are mounting a vigorous defense saying that the men teach neighborhood kids how to play the game.

“If they’re in there teaching a child to play chess aren’t they accompanied by a child?” one man told 1010 WINS’ Terry Sheridan.

“That’s ridiculous, it’s chess, it’s educational, give me a break,” one woman said. “They need better things to do with their time.”

“I think the cops should fight real crime,” one man said.

Some parents are blaming the city for creating this situation by putting the chess tables inside a playground.

“Parents don’t use those chess tables, they’re watching their children so it just doesn’t make sense to have them in there,” Jill Ashley, an Inwood resident, told CBS 2 HD.

“We always thoguht it was kind of odd that they had the setup like that where men without children were hanging out in a playground,” Justin Ashley said.

CBS 2 reports some of the chess players are homeless and some parents said they’ve seen them nap in the park and bathe in the water fountain.

“It’s hard to tell who they are sitting in that playground,” Keith Ludwiczak, an Inwood resident, said. “Are they chess players or are they someone waiting for children?”

The 34th precinct commander told DNAInfo, a local blog, that he defends the tickets because the law is the law and the Parks Department defends its placement of the chess tables.

The men are due in court on Dec. 28.
    So, those guys couldn't be there playing chess because they didn't have Children with them. Is this fucking serious? Then why are the Chess Tables there? You think some inner city impoverished child who probably can't read a face clock is going to start playing chess?? Oh I see, the Government wants to prevent children from being Kidnapped. Cool. Then the fucking sign should read "No children without Adults", not the other way around.

God, I fucking hate the City. It's a cesspool of filth and diseased ridden people who suffer from Chronic Stupidity.

Stop playing Chess; it's for the children.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/11/...l-park-tables/
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

wow

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

hmm. not sure how i feel about this just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TSISam View Post
        hmm. not sure how i feel about this just yet.
        Explain. Inform me if I am being bull headed.
        sigpic

Comment

honestly never been to new york and even i know about the chess tables. those tables have been in i dont know how many movies, i dont know how many famous people have played on them.... if anything is a icon in nyc its those tables. there fucking idiots for doing that to them. it wont hold in court.
          Originally posted by gmc4cw
          if someone can look at your rig and still tell what it was, then you have a long way to go before its destroyed. if you continue to wheel it after said destruction then you are truely special. :shock:

Comment

i have sat at those tables and played chess there, they really do represent new york. that place is aswesome, people are retarded.
            Dizz dizz go sleep sleep

Driver 4677 FSM vehicle

Comment

Then the fucking sign should read "No children without Adults", not the other way around.
              This is one of the few parts that I don't agree with.

I agree that the chess tables are iconic symbols of NYC and that the police shouldn't have stormed in in such a fashion. Their manpower can definitely be used elsewhere...

However, the sign that says "no adults without children" is becoming important now to protect the children from people lurking on playgrounds. Can some parents get careless in watching their children? Sure. But that's not always the case. I was at the park with 3 of the kids I babysit for last weekend and it gets somewhat difficult to keep track of them when they're all over the place. If I had all 5 of them with me I would have been even more nervous.

Maybe they can build fences around the chess tables to help establish a different area of the park or something along those lines. Yes, they approached this in the wrong way by attacking people who were there simply to play chess. It's just a matter of having adults at a playground without knowing if they're harmless or lurking to take advantage of a parent without a direct view of their child.

Comment

Its a public park, you boils be able to do what you want within reason inside of it, child molestersor not this is a bunch of bullshit
                dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by TSISam View Post
                  This is one of the few parts that I don't agree with.

I agree that the chess tables are iconic symbols of NYC and that the police shouldn't have stormed in in such a fashion. Their manpower can definitely be used elsewhere...

However, the sign that says "no adults without children" is becoming important now to protect the children from people lurking on playgrounds. Can some parents get careless in watching their children? Sure. But that's not always the case. I was at the park with 3 of the kids I babysit for last weekend and it gets somewhat difficult to keep track of them when they're all over the place. If I had all 5 of them with me I would have been even more nervous.

Maybe they can build fences around the chess tables to help establish a different area of the park or something along those lines. Yes, they approached this in the wrong way by attacking people who were there simply to play chess. It's just a matter of having adults at a playground without knowing if they're harmless or lurking to take advantage of a parent without a direct view of their child.
                  I understand exactly where you are coming from, though I have a feeling that moving the chess tables away from the playground or even putting a fence around them will not solve the problems of child abduction. It is horrible to even think that there are low life scum out there that take pleasure in luring children away from playgrounds and abduct them, but I cannot see why others who have no such intensions get punished.

I hope you're right, Shane, I hope this doesn't hold up in court.

Samantha, if in fact they do want to prevent child abduction, they should then put a cop on patrol in that area. Tax dollars are better spent educating the public and create police jobs for the area then to foolishly squander revenue in a court system that gets nothing done. As for the sign, I see your point, thought you were there with the children, right? If a parent or guardian is not there to watch the children under a certain age, then they shouldn't be there, especially in a city environment.
                  Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 11-20-2010, 12:35 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X